Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... we learned how to get the backhoe off/on... and the loader off/on... very helpful and appreciated. Impressive engineering from the Deere folks. Forks are great, can't wait to use them.

We were trying to get the midmount on this AM, but learned we are missing a couple of pins and washers... a total pain, but getting things in shape before the big project is critical. Because during the project, the machinery has to work well, so this is a dry run for both the machinery and the newbie operators.

Question to experts please... the 3pt Hitch and Midmount lift mechanisms aren't working. The 3pt Hitch goes up, but not down... the midmount lift mechanism doesn't work at all. I hope it's a case of hydraulic hoses screwed up or a valve in the "off" position...

I am planning on taking the machine to a Deere dealer and getting all this stuff worked out and buying some missing gear. In the meantime, I am curious as to how the 3pt Hitch hydraulics/midmount hydraulics are supposed to work. If anyone has some insight, we would be grateful.

Thanks again Chris.

Andrew & John

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Question to experts please... the 3pt Hitch and Midmount lift mechanisms aren't working. The 3pt Hitch goes up, but not down... the midmount lift mechanism doesn't work at all. I hope it's a case of hydraulic hoses screwed up or a valve in the "off" position.
Do you have the IL (independent lift) or are you using the 3PH lever to raise/lower the deck? If the later, then you either need a iMatch or a spreader bar mounted to keep the lower arms together so they will engage the lift brackets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kenny... the midmount lift has a separate hydro underneath the tractor. The midmount lift mechanism is independent.

Thanks, Andrew

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the "plumbing"... the 2320 manual reveals 4 hydraulic color coded hoses on the right side of the machine powering the FEL.

Our 2320 has 6 color coded hoses, and an adjustable valve directly below the bucket lever... that is definitely some type of hydro valve...

Tried to apply weight on the 3 pt hitch to see if it would float down from the top position, it will not. So, it seems like this hitch has positive pressure.

I hope my newness and posts on all this will help other civilians out there... frustrating.

Andrew

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Our 2320 has 6 color coded hoses, and an adjustable valve directly below the bucket lever... that is definitely some type of hydro valve...
OK, so you have the IL system, AND the "diverter setup" to save from unplugging the FEL hoses if you had it attached:

It should look like this:
2320.jpg
The deck should plug into port#5 in the picture, and operating the joystick LEFT or RIGHT should raise and lower the deck if the proper position is selected on the diverter. The diverter "diverts" fluid from the dump/curl circuit to the new ports to operate the deck.

Tried to apply weight on the 3 pt hitch to see if it would float down from the top position, it will not. So, it seems like this hitch has positive pressure.
The 3PH lever is NOT used for the IL setup so operating this is not going to help one bit. The cylinder on the deck is now controlled by the joystick-the same thing that operates to FEL.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kenny... so, we went out and figured out 2 things thanks to you... first, the valve is a bypass valve and yes, the joystick controls the midmount up and down...

The up and down is variable, i.e. sometimes it does it, sometimes it just goes up and down in small movements... perhaps there is not enough oil in the system. I noted that there was no oil in the hydro site gauge earlier in the day, then this evening, the site gauge was half full... learning alot about this machine.

Next up, the 3PH... control.

The backhoe and FEL worked 100% - no issues.

Appreciate your efforts. Andrew

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Fluid level should be checked with the tractor turned off for about 10 minutes, and everything lowered to the ground. Then about 1/2 way in the glass is about correct.

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Hey Andrew & the young tractor prodigy, Mr. John,

It was equally great to make both of your acquaintence. I hope you managed to find your way home in a straight line. If John's backhoe video came out to be worth much, feel free to share it here for others in the same situation.

North Country beat me to adding my thoughts about the rate knob. I hope this is all that is causing the hitch to not drop because other than that adjustment, there isn't much else to these things. Certainly get yourself some hydraulic fluid and top it off as a low level will affect the machine.

I'm not sure how much help I can be in diagnosing your ailments, but I'd be happy to make a trip down and take a look with you. I was fortunate enough to have had the diverter valve and independent mower lift on my 2305 so I am familiar with them. In fact, I had to remove and reinstall my diverter valve after the dealer demonstrated how NOT to do it when the machine was new. Anyway, if I can be of help, you know where to find me...

Thanks kindly for the mention here on GreenTractorTalk!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all... went to the JD dealership, wanted a complete going over... a nice guy at the dealership took me under his wing and taught me all about the tractor... showed me the 3PH friction control, etc... so, the mysteries are starting to dissolve.

Bought a balast box... and figured out how to attach the mid-mount... so should be all set to go very soon.

Chris, John wants to do videos for "the rest of us", ie.. folks like us who are new to the tractors... installing the backhoe, FEL, Midmount, etc. I think it's a good idea.

The more we learn about the machine, the more we appreciate the engineering that goes into it...

Looks like I have to donate now... I'll do that over the weekend if I kind figure out how to do that !!

Andrew

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Renovation project started today... brought the 2320 down yesterday with the implements - in the snow... and finally got to work today. Used the backhoe first, pulled out rotted wooden gates and posts... then removed the backhoe... in about 3 minutes (finally)... put the 3 pt hitch, the ballast box and used the artillian forks to move brushand old wooden crap from the barn... building a huge burn pile... amazing piece of equipment those forks.

The beauty is in the toughness and agile size.

Went to get the camera out and take some pics as promised... battery dead :thumbsdown:

The 12 year old is an old hand at this tractor thing.

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Hey Sawmill,

Great to hear all is going well. We just got our power back on last night (again) as the snow storm that passed through was quite devastating here, though we were only down for two days this time. Just when I thought we were all set for winter, nope. Lots of trees down and debris cleaning once this confounded snow melts away. Winter isn't even here yet and I'm already sick of it!

Anyway, I sure hope you can get your batteries charged. I'd sure enjoy some photos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts