Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting used to the new box blade, and had so many large rocks, that I temporarily switched to the 46 backhoe to dig them out along with some tree stumps.

I've made a mess of the yard digging up rocks that have pestered my mowing decks over the years. Rocks remind me of icebergs. Sometimes I am quite surprised at what first appears to be small amount of rock showing in the lawn only to discover just how big it really is under the surface.

Some rocks are so big I dug bug holes next to them then rolled them into it, and buried them.

I managed to dig this this stump out of its resting place, and rolled it up and out. I couldn't begin to fit it in the bucket so I grabbed onto a root with my backhoe. Its got a lot of dirt and rocks still attached, but it lifted right up. I had carried it along very slowly, but as I approached a small upward grade I realized the front end of the tractor was coming of the ground. Glad I was just creeping, and watching closely. I dropped it and pushed/rolled it the rest of the way from behind with the bucket to the brush pile.

No buyers remorse here every large rock that I remove, and every tree root that I hear snap reminds me of just how much work I would be trying to do without it, and how much Ibuprofen I would be taking :yahoo:.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
Cool pics!:dance:

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
My 2720 is a bit light in the front with the 46 backhoe attached. I load up the front bracket with weights and will generally load the front bucket when dragging large stumps with the backhoe. Over the years I've tackled some large projects with smaller machines. I used to live in Medway, MA which was loaded with rocks & granite. You needed a backhoe to plant a geranium! I had a couple of large bluestones about the size of VW Beetles where I wanted to expand my driveway. No way to move them other than to dig a huge hole and roll 'em in and under the grade.

Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.