Green Tractor Talk banner

That First Scratch

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 ·
When I first seen the horrible mark on my new 1026R, I felt sick. I used a palm sander when I was building my snow cab, and some how I had gotten too close to the back fender and left deep scratches on the top near the rops. I immediately tried to rub it out, but it was too much. How could I have been so stupid to let this happen? I know this summer I will probly get a few more, but with it sitting in my shop with only 3+ hours on it, waiting for more snow, it HURTS! Does anyone know if I can repaint over this plastic fender, and make it look right?
KHOP:cry:

#2 ·
Sorry to hear that. Best fix for repairing plastic damaged like that is to whip out your CC and order a new one. Bummer...

#3 ·
Trying to repair/paint you may end up making it worse. Could always make the other side match it.

#4 ·
The first one is the hardest...the color is not painted on so painting to repair will not really work.

Creative use of decals maybe?

If it's near the door maybe this one (thanks Matt:laugh:)

Font Signage Sign Label Rectangle

#7 ·
I have repaired some scuffs on my atv plastic with heat. I used a propane torch. You have to be sure not to over heat. I have no clue how it would work here. Might just be better leaving it.

The first week after i bought a new truck in 2010, some guy tried to break into it. I rubbed out everything but a 2 inch scratch that went down to the primer. After 2 years, i dont even notice it anymore. But that was hard to over look when it happened.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#8 ·
You might want to enquire at a body shop. I know that they repair plastic bumpers on cars all the time.

Good luck.

..Ron

#17 ·
I'M THE BIG BOOB HERE. No doubt, I'll mess up again and put another scratch somewhere else that will take my mind off of this first one. KHOP
You're are no different than the rest of us. At least it wasn't a dent someplace. Our tractor(s) normally looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet (dirty).

#20 ·
Touch Up Paint

I've always bought the little bottle from the dealer of touch up paint for the cars and trucks I've owned. I'd get a small brush and a small can of JD paint and just, carefully, dab the scratch(s). The other thing about scratches on a tractor, it gives it "character".

#21 ·
Touch ups on our 650 were pretty easy. I always carefully selected a can of spray paint close to the same color (black) and just sprayed over the bad spot, especially on the top side of the loader arms. On trade in the dealer said "good idea and no rust" after 20 some years. Probably do the same with the 2320.
The 650 never let me down once, maintenance done regularly.

Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Mode of transport

#22 ·
I use to think this was a friendly forum.....

But I got ta tell ya, try'in to drink my Folgers while readin' page 2 of this thread while my shoulders are bobbin' up and down.....you know how expensive coffee is today?

Walmartians, tallywhackers and signs that warn ya to keep abreast of....well never mind that!

I gotta go get some coffee.....

#23 ·
Be grateful, you have scratched your new machine.

Imagine if your wife had scratched it first. No need for anger, you can smile and know that the next time it happens that you have already done the inevidable.

Better to get it over with, and by you doing this yourself you have saved the world from your wrath.

All machines need some battle scars, sounds like you didn't do that while watching football on the couch.

Mike

#24 ·
Imagine if your wife had scratched it first. No need for anger, you can smile and know that the next time it happens that you have already done the inevidable.

Better to get it over with, and by you doing this yourself you have saved the world from your wrath.

All machines need some battle scars, sounds like you didn't do that while watching football on the couch.

Mike
A wise man right there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.