Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read many horror stories about the grease zerk on the front of the drive shaft on the 1025R & 2025R. Had my 2025R Gen 2 on drive doing fluid level checks and greasing and lubing things as well as checking air filters. Got to the front and could actually see the zerk through those little holes. No way was the clip on fitting going to make it through those holes so changed to a standard end. With a bit of finagling it snapped right on and I was able to grease that front u-joint. Gosh I thought that was not near as bad as I have read it would be. Just lucky I guess! Then I tried to pull the fitting off the zerk. No matter how hard I pulled and pried not coming off. I thought you have got to be kidding me! Really??? What the hell! Finally had to unscrew the hose from the grease gun then the hose from the fitting. Reached up with needle nose vice grips and was finally able get the fitting to release from the zerk. But that dammed zerk was greased! Always something!:banghead::banghead:

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
This so called "infamous" zerk that we deal with is a walk in the park compared to the 2320. I actually have very little trouble with mine now, just takes a little patience. There is a guy called jgayman on here that will explain that the jaws on the grease gun ends are adjustable, never knew that until he explained it once about a year ago in a thread similar to this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
On my 2025R gen 1, I can barely even see the front Ujoint. Cannot tell whether it even has a zerk. Probably not. Notably, there's NOTHING in the Owners manual about it.

The rear Ujoint has a zerk, but it is turned such that I cannot get a grease gun on it. I really should remove the zerk and put a straight one in its place. No so inclined.

I'll just keep it another couple years and switch to a B Kubota then.

Ralph

·
Registered
929 Posts
Have read many horror stories about the grease zerk on the front of the drive shaft on the 1025R & 2025R. Had my 2025R Gen 2 on drive doing fluid level checks and greasing and lubing things as well as checking air filters. Got to the front and could actually see the zerk through those little holes. No way was the clip on fitting going to make it through those holes so changed to a standard end. With a bit of finagling it snapped right on and I was able to grease that front u-joint. Gosh I thought that was not near as bad as I have read it would be. Just lucky I guess! Then I tried to pull the fitting off the zerk. No matter how hard I pulled and pried not coming off. I thought you have got to be kidding me! Really??? What the hell! Finally had to unscrew the hose from the grease gun then the hose from the fitting. Reached up with needle nose vice grips and was finally able get the fitting to release from the zerk. But that dammed zerk was greased! Always something!:banghead::banghead:
I had the same trouble getting the grease gun off that fitting on my 1025r. I was laying directly underneath it, and with enough force it finally broke free. However, I ended up splitting my forehead with the grease gun handle when it let go. Had to get some stitches for that one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On my 2025R gen 1, I can barely even see the front Ujoint. Cannot tell whether it even has a zerk. Probably not. Notably, there's NOTHING in the Owners manual about it.

The rear Ujoint has a zerk, but it is turned such that I cannot get a grease gun on it. I really should remove the zerk and put a straight one in its place. No so inclined.

I'll just keep it another couple years and switch to a B Kubota then.

Ralph
I have a Gen 1 2025R, and I assure you there is a zirk on the front of the main driveshaft. It also IS listed in the owner's manual.

If you have more than 50 hours, I would be greasing it ASAP. If it fails, it could potentially cause thousands in damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, the owners manual for the gen 1 2025R shows to grease the Ujoints. Shows a window to get at the front one that simply is not there. The rear zerk is turned to where you cannot get a grease gun on it.

Won't cause any damage if front one goes. Hydraulics won't work. Time to call JD to come get it. When then finish repairing it, I'll then ask them how much they'll give me for it and probably take it and then go buy a Kubota; I guess.

Been there; done that. Last time, I went with another JD that turned into a lemon. Should have learned my lesson and gone Kubota then.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If ya take the e brake off and roll it a little, the u joint will open up enough to get the tip in. Loosen up your tip grabbers also. They’re adjustable and don’t need to be that tight to grease a tractor. These zerks are child’s play compared to a D8

Reactions: EBhunts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, the owners manual for the gen 1 2025R shows to grease the Ujoints. Shows a window to get at the front one that simply is not there. The rear zerk is turned to where you cannot get a grease gun on it.

Won't cause any damage if front one goes. Hydraulics won't work. Time to call JD to come get it. When then finish repairing it, I'll then ask them how much they'll give me for it and probably take it and then go buy a Kubota; I guess.

Been there; done that. Last time, I went with another JD that turned into a lemon. Should have learned my lesson and gone Kubota then.

Ralph
Wont cause any damage? Tell that to those who have had to repair/replace the hydro until because of the front u joint failure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts