Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some stuff happened, and long story short my transmission got full of water and froze. The transmission was on an angle and its only around the differential. Would ice around the diff break it? It's on a peerless 1200 (3 speed). Would I have to split the case to get the ice out?

·
Super Moderator
5,616 Posts
If possible, warm it up to get everything a fluid again, and drain it. Maybe add new fluid, run it a bit, and drain that out too. I don't know anything about a 1200. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
I agree with glc. Don't take a chance. Find some way to warm the transmission with a portable heater or one of those kerosene torpedo heaters and then drain it, fill it, run it and drain it again. That should get the majority of the moisture out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Guess I could try that but sadly I have no drain plug.

Edit: I mean that I lost the drain plug, not that the transmission doesn't have one.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Guess I could try that but sadly I have no drain plug.

Edit: I mean that I lost the drain plug, not that the transmission doesn't have one.
If you lost them the drain should be easy. Refills are a bit more difficult.

A 1200 should be in a 60/70/100 LT.

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
Theoretically the hydraulic oil is lighter than water so the water should be at the bottom. Rather than run it I'd just remove the plug and drain it to avoid the water and oil mixing and contaminating the system. If frozen figure out a way to thaw it out. Inspect the housing and then replace the plug, refill and run as usual.

Reactions: glc and Mike265

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What model tractor?
It's a little tractor I'm currently restoring. It won't barely get over freezing for weeks so I want to have this transmission cleaned out.
It had a 3 speed peerless, and I lost the rear drain plug (not the magnetic one) in the grass.
Where would I get a new one?

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same Peerless 1200 in my 100 lawn tractor.. If you lost a plug I believe the tread is standard 3/8 npt. Any hardware store will have them. Here is the some info on oil changes for the 1200...

Attachments

Reactions: Jeff B and glc

·
Registered
420 Posts
. . . I lost the rear drain plug (not the magnetic one) in the grass. . .
If you have a magnetic sweeper and it's a steel plug, maybe you could find it. If it's a standard pipe plug as has been posted elsewhere, a new plug would be much cheaper than the magnetic sweeper.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You know what? I'll just buy a transmission with a 4 speed and the disc brakes if this one's junk. Hopefully it isn't, because I'd like to keep this thing as original as possible.

Either way, swap or not, I'll just put disc brakes on it.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
No idea what tractor this is for, but that’s pretty much irrelevant to this comment. I’m not aware of any 4 speed reasonable swaps for a1200, much less one with disk brakes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welp, it's official. The 1200 is junk. 2nd gear is hard to get into, and 3rd is almost impossible. The gears are obliterated.

But hey, at least I picked up my motor! It's a k161 out of a cub 72, missing the starter generator, coil, spark plug, and muffler. Everything is there, it even still has the original throttle linkage instead of wire as a linkage trick. It seems to fit okay into the frame, but the original engine mounts are about an inch and a half away from every oilpan bolt on the k161. Guess I'll just replace the motor slide with a tensioner for the belt from the motor to the jackshaft. I might need to cut off the pto clutch basket to put the pulley on.

Question- What direction does a k161 turn on the shaft side? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
A 1200 does not shift easily, it’s the nature of straight cut gears. You need to spin the input gently while trying to shift. You use the clutch when it’s installed to jiggle things.

As for the motor, we still have no idea what it’s for so can’t help. Blocks, cranks, oilpans, pistons are spec specific. There are some that can mix and match, and others that don’t. Just swapping from early to late 200 series requires block modification and a few other things. Going the other way is impossible.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's for a "burns" brand tractor, which is posted the non-deere tractor forum. It's the same as an early gilson IIRC. I don't know why he said the trans is junk, he hasn't split the case to find out if it's junk or not. But it's his project so I'm letting him call the shots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts