Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have a 4 seat Kawasaki mule. It is not has nimble has a smaller 2 seater but around the yard i love it. My grandkids ride along and we have a nice trip around the yard. Of course the longer wheelbase means longer turns but i have pleanty of power.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Not sure how they are,I have 825i two seater. I sure with the 4 you would loose some ground clearance, but I'm sure there nice if you don't plane on getting crazy off road.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rock on guys, I was just curious, I have been looking at them. I brought the idea up to the boss and to my surprise she kinda liked the idea! Lol

We wouldn't be doing any crazy rock crawling or anything. I would imagine just hills and trails through the woods. Then misc work around the yard maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
Rock on guys, I was just curious, I have been looking at them. I brought the idea up to the boss and to my surprise she kinda liked the idea! Lol

We wouldn't be doing any crazy rock crawling or anything. I would imagine just hills and trails through the woods. Then misc work around the yard maybe.
We are on our second Gator, the original was ONE of the best purchases we've made. VERY useful if you own property, IMO. FWIW, my wife uses it far more than I do.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are on our second Gator, the original was ONE of the best purchases we've made. VERY useful if you own property, IMO. FWIW, my wife uses it far more than I do.
I could honestly see my wife doing the same. Using it more than I do. I think it will be one of those things, once she gets it, she will fall in love with the thing and I will never get to use it. Like my new jeep that was supposed to be mine lol

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I own the 550 s4 and after getting the transmission issue straightened out it has been ok. From what I understand, the transmission issue was something that many owners of the 550s4 were having. The shifter would hang up and you had to tap the gas to get it to shift. After 2 times in the shop the dealer got it fixed and I have not had any more problems with it, it has been close to 2 years now. As far as using the gator on tight trails, power steering would be a good thing to have. When it comes to turn radius, you need a good bit of room to turn around, that would be another place where PS would come in handy. As far as ground clearance, it does not have that much and will high center pretty easily especially on uneven terrain. As for power, IMO, the 550 is underpowered when you have more than 2 people and gear loaded in the bed. We use ours for hunting and when 4 of us get in it seems to lug when pulling hills. The 4wd and differential lock works great and will get you out of some sticky situations, as long as you don't bottom out. I can't speak for other manufacturers but I would think that you are subject to have issues with ground clearance when you stretch a utv that much.

Don't get me wrong, we love our gator but if we were to buy again, we would likely opt to go with the larger 625, 825 or if I won the lottery, the 855d. I think they have discontinued the 550 and replaced it with the 590.

Not trying to discourage you from the 550 just putting my .02 out there

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own the 550 s4 and after getting the transmission issue straightened out it has been ok. From what I understand, the transmission issue was something that many owners of the 550s4 were having. The shifter would hang up and you had to tap the gas to get it to shift. After 2 times in the shop the dealer got it fixed and I have not had any more problems with it, it has been close to 2 years now. As far as using the gator on tight trails, power steering would be a good thing to have. When it comes to turn radius, you need a good bit of room to turn around, that would be another place where PS would come in handy. As far as ground clearance, it does not have that much and will high center pretty easily especially on uneven terrain. As for power, IMO, the 550 is underpowered when you have more than 2 people and gear loaded in the bed. We use ours for hunting and when 4 of us get in it seems to lug when pulling hills. The 4wd and differential lock works great and will get you out of some sticky situations, as long as you don't bottom out. I can't speak for other manufacturers but I would think that you are subject to have issues with ground clearance when you stretch a utv that much.

Don't get me wrong, we love our gator but if we were to buy again, we would likely opt to go with the larger 625, 825 or if I won the lottery, the 855d. I think they have discontinued the 550 and replaced it with the 590.

You are good man! That's one of my main worries is ground clearance. We aren't gonna go out and buy one tomorrow, just doing our research now.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts

Nice post. :thumbup1gif:
Last year John Deere replaced the 550 with the 560, the 590i was new last year.
Our 560 is no speedster by any means but we have never lacked for power, yet but it's not a 560s4 either.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nice post. :thumbup1gif:
Last year John Deere replaced the 550 with the 560, the 590i was new last year.
Our 560 is no speedster by any means but we have never lacked for power, yet but it's not a 560s4 either.
You are right sir, I forgot about the 560.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You are good man! That's one of my main worries is ground clearance. We aren't gonna go out and buy one tomorrow, just doing our research now.
Thank you, keep us posted on your progress

·
Premium Member
13,933 Posts

Agree with everything , needed 40 acres to turn this thing around.. Had to watch out if I went on trails the regular 2 seat versions made. Because I knew I wouldn't be able to go without maybe getting high centered , or always trying to get it turned around .
For us we had the transmission issue plus engine problems like crazy, IMO look at the fuel injected models.
After 3 years I got tired of being in the shop instead of in my garage. Bought a 700 Honda Pioneer 4 seater.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was at the Honda dealer yesterday and their four seater didn't suffer any ground clearance issues. Man were those nice.👍
Well, Pat, some pics would be nice...

What's about he price? Are the HONDAs cheaper?

Next four seater may be the new John Deere TE4S, if it's invented until I got retired... :good2:

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Well, Pat, some pics would be nice...

What's about he price? Are the HONDAs cheaper?

Next four seater may be the new John Deere TE4S, if it's invented until I got retired... :good2:
I know pictures would be nice but I hope you'll cut me some slack the windchill was about -20℉ yesterday.

The four seated 1000 cc had a $17k price tag.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
I know pictures would be nice but I hope you'll cut me some slack the windchill was about -20℉ yesterday.

The four seated 1000 cc had a $17k price tag.
Wuss! :munch::lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
Agree with everything , needed 40 acres to turn this thing around.. Had to watch out if I went on trails the regular 2 seat versions made. Because I knew I wouldn't be able to go without maybe getting high centered , or always trying to get it turned around .
For us we had the transmission issue plus engine problems like crazy, IMO look at the fuel injected models.
After 3 years I got tired of being in the shop instead of in my garage. Bought a 700 Honda Pioneer 4 seater.:bigthumb:
Speaking of pictures? :munch:

·
Premium Member
13,933 Posts
Speaking of pictures? :munch:
Ok here are a few, the color is RED all the stick on has been peeled off except for the hood. Ours is the 700 and price way it is setting , thinking $12000-13000. Because price included a front plow, had it removed and bought $200 or so of other items. No trouble turning it around ,without PS . Wife drives it all over the place.
Yes liked having the bed on Gator plus seating for 4 , but the # of times needing to use bought in past year ,,,maybe once. The only thing I would change is get the hard top instead of material. Noticed the other day the 700 now offer paddle shift , our doesn't but for me and our use very happy after one year and over 1200 miles.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts