Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I helped a friend out and gave him the battery out of my jeep, so i need to replace it with something that will last a long time, take the abuse of winching, and also store well.

My jeep is a trail rig and does not get used that often. I think I put 200 miles on it last year. It sits all winter. I do pull the battery and put it in a heated area. It would be nice to have a sealed battery also.

I had a Yellow Top D34/78 Optima.

Some are suggesting a Blue Top D34M .

I know others feel there are better. Please school me.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Well, my two cents on this would be to just buy a quality battery and a good trickle charger. I am completly sold on storage chargers. I get 7-12 years out of batteries with these things.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would install a DieHard Platinum battery (agm deep cycle) and leave it there. No need to remove these from the Jeep. Will hold the charge for a year anyway. If your vehicle has a slpw drain on the battery use a battery switch to solve that issue.

·
Registered
430 Posts
And deep cycles are made to be drained and recharged.
Very true

The typical deep cycle battery is made to discharge about 50 % and then should be recharged, most will last several years doing this. The Odessey and DieHard clone can be discharged to about 25-30% without problems. Long story short you get more use out of a charge.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last optima lasted 4 years and it was still perfect. I always pull it in the winter for a bunch or reasons, not just the fact that the vehicle will not be running. Maybe that helps. I currently do not have a slow drain, but when winching, it does really stress the battery since I only have one.

Many people say sears platinum, but...... I just have a hard time with it. My last sears platinum was junk. It was replaced 3 times under warranty. This was about 5 years ago in a diesel.:cray:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts