Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get away and travel the 300 miles to our Northern property. I've always wanted a small cabin down in the Southwest corner on the banks of creek that runs through tha property. So Monday I started the build. As of today, Wednesday I was able to set the pillars, place the cedar beams, install the floor joist, insulate the floor, place the sub floor and raise the South side post. Tomorrow I hope to install the North side post, set the beams and raise the end post and install the ridge beam. I only have tomorrow and Friday to complete those tasks. Still waiting on the rafters and the exterior and floor planks. Hope to be able to pick them up in a couple of weeks. The reason I pulled the wagon train with the CAST is because the build site is at the end of a narrow railroad grade. With the CAST you can drive it in both directions by rotating the seat around the steering column. It makes it a lot easier to back out a wagon when you can see it in front of you.
Water Plant Tree Natural landscape Natural environment
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Plant
Plant Tree Wood Natural landscape Trunk
Plant Plant community Tree Road surface Shade
Plant Plant community Nature Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Wood

·
Premium Member
18,537 Posts
Looking good so far, really like the Cast. (y)

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
17,397 Posts
Nice work on the foundation of your cabin, Trebor. (y)

I was gonna ask what the "F" is a CAST, but I did a inter-web search and now I know. It's a 4x4, articulating tractor made in Italy.

Interesting:
:unsure:

CAST tractors were built in Bologna(the city, not the meat) by a company called CAST S.p.A., which was apparently an offshoot of the Casaralta firm with the name CAST derived from the first letters of the parent firm and “T” for “Trattori,” the Italian word for tractors.

:whistle:

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work on the foundation of your cabin, Trebor. (y)

I was gonna ask what the "F" is a CAST, but I did a inter-web search and now I know. It's a 4x4, articulating tractor made in Italy.

Interesting: :unsure:

CAST tractors were built in Bologna(the city, not the meat) by a company called CAST S.p.A., which was apparently an offshoot of the Casaralta firm with the name CAST derived from the first letters of the parent firm and “T” for “Trattori,” the Italian word for tractors.

:whistle:
Flyweight,
This one is an earlier model as it has crab steer. What's fascinating is that when you rotate the seat to go the other direction there is a gearing that also changes the crab steering. There are two sets of clutches and two sets of brakes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The beams are up and the ridge beam is built and ready to go up. I just need to cut two more cedar post to hold the ridge beam.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle
t I'll also need to get creative on the lift. The plan is to connect two trees with a chain about 18 ft up and use a chain fall to lift the center posts and ridge bean. Hope it works.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
I'm fascinated with this and will continue to watch every step.

I have a question.

It sounds as though you are milling the timbers from your property as you are framing along? If so, my question is how stable will the timbers be as you progress and the wood begins to dry out?
I have experienced commercial lumber moving beyond use after it has been sitting at home before I can use it.
I'm extremely curious since I have rented many cabins in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoyed every single one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm fascinated with this and will continue to watch every step.

I have a question.

It sounds as though you are milling the timbers from your property as you are framing along? If so, my question is how stable will the timbers be as you progress and the wood begins to dry out?
I have experienced commercial lumber moving beyond use after it has been sitting at home before I can use it.
I'm extremely curious since I have rented many cabins in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoyed every single one.
J.white,
Just the 6 main 6x6x14s cedar beams were milled from my own standing cedar. All of the post were cut from the property. All the dimensional lumber, beams and framing materials will come from the lumber yard.
Update,
The main ridge beam is up and level. All the weeks goals were met. Time to hop in the truck for a 4 1/2 hour ride home. I think my beagles missed me and maybe even my wife.
Plant Tree Wood Branch Shade

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have a question of curiosity also...I notice you used concrete supports and plastic bases directly on top of the ground......I assume no freeze thaw issues, high wind conditions, or waterlogged soils are anticipated?.....is it a common practice in that location?.....great job on the ridge beam!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,
The build site in the middle of a cedar swamp. A lot of shallow roots that seem to be most of the support system. Although it is upper Michigan we don't see a lot of frost issues in this low lying area. As for wind, it is pretty well protected by the surrounding trees. My biggest concern would be a tree falling on the building.

·
Premium Member
6,518 Posts
I was going to ask about the number of trees quite near the cabin, not worried? Harder to take down once the cabin is built..
Should be nice once you're finished..

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back up to the cabin build site. I stopped in Gladwin, MI to pick up my roof rafters from a Amish mill. I ordered 48 2x8x10'. Anticipating standard dimensional 1"1/2×7"1/4 lumber I got 2"×8" lumber. Holly cow are they heavy. Still wet, but talking to some builders they don't anticipate any problems with them drying even. Once installed they should have equal air flow. I now think I will go with 24" centers as they certainly can handle the load. I will install the cables holding the two side beams plumb first thing tomorrow and make a template for the rafters. Hopefully I can start setting the rafters tomorrow afternoon. I sure wish this rain would stop. We need to send it to the west coast.

·
Registered
13,573 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spent most of the morning and early afternoon unloading the trailer and transferring the rafters to a wagon. Moved the sheathing with the 420 into the barn for safe keeping and out of the rain. I was able to make a rafter template after five tries and late afternoon with the help of my brother-in-law we were able to set
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle
the first two rafters. Only 30 more to go.
Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Wood Shade

1 - 20 of 58 Posts