Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you who dont know its a 1935 model D styled johnny popper. 2clyinder 8.2l runs great and shifts good

sorry can only load 3 pics at a time:greentractorride: pics of my dad on it he gets a kick out of it he's 75 and nobody in are family had a farm

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more

:greentractorride::greentractorride:

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more yet

just drove it 10 miles on back roads did great yeah it let me load 4 pics... now one to the next one would like to do a diesel next:greentractorride:

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my 6yr old girls first ride:greentractorride:

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very nice! I agree, a dual exhaust will wake some folks up! Did you do a cleanup and repaint, or did you have to do much rebuilding? I had peeked at your other threads, and seemed like it was pretty solid.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
was soild ran pretty good. but it wouldnt run off diesel and even a small amount off diesel mixed with gas. so i went through the carb fuel tanks and lines. runs great now on straight diesel and even a b50 bio diesel blend.. went through the magneto. checked valves and adjusted oil pressure. compression was good. bearings were good as well just needed a little tlc. sanded all tin down to bare metal primed and painted in jd classic green. new decals new steering wheel,etc

changed all fluids of coarse and checked tranny which checked out good. used about 10lbs of new grease:laugh:

drained about 70 gallons of water out of the rear tires. had to get use to how it wanted to be started. im now pretty good at it and can get it started pretty quickly.

oh yeah its pretty loud now with straight stack. neighbors 2 doors down says it shakes their walls

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just so i know my eyes are not deceiving me...you are running the D on diesel? Im amazed you can even get it started on diesel, i would love to see a video of that haha

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just so i know my eyes are not deceiving me...you are running the D on diesel? Im amazed you can even get it started on diesel, i would love to see a video of that haha
cant start it on diesel. it was meant to burn low cost fuel in its day which was distillate fuels mostly kerosene which was pennies on the dollar compared to gasoline. not that way today so i use off road non taxed diesel its a little heavier then k1 but you can adjust the carb to the mix you wanna run.
start it on gas then when it gets warm switch over to distillate fuels then back to gas when shutting off.

has 2 tanks a small gasoline 1.5g tank for starting and stopping then the big tank 23.5g meant for cheap fuels:greentractorride:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
is it really good for the engine to run on diesel?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
A lot of older tractors were designed this way. Our Farmall Super A was similar, start on gas and then switch over. It had shutters on the radiator to help keep the heat up, a second fuel tank and a few other little things I can't recall.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A lot of the tractors up into the 1950's had an "all fuel" option. On the John Deere's if it had a red and green cap on the hood then it was all fuel. They had to be special ordered at the end but starting out they all were all fuels. If you changed the pistons and compression then you couldn't do this. My 44 B still has the old cast iron piston's in it and lower compression so it could do this. My brothers 39 B has high compression aluminum pistons and can't do this.

The carb runs into the exhaust manifold basically that is a tube within the manifold. It preheats the fuel up. Not as efficient running only gas but for other fuels it worked. The radiator shutters helped you keep the heat hot enough to do this as well. It burns the diesel like gas-not like a true diesel engine that uses the compression for the heat-these still use the spark plug to fire the fuel.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
well of coarse... #2 diesel has more lubricity or whatever then gas helps lube the cylinder. no it doesent use compression to ignite the fuel like a diesel. compression is only 3.9 :1. they designed it to run on distillate fuels from the factory.. #2 diesel is a little heavier then k1 kerosene the carb is meant to be adjusted by hand no tools to run on the mix of fuel you use.

if you always use the same fuel say 100% #2 diesel you adjust it to run properly once then dont have to adjust it again.. but if you keep changing the ratio of the fuels you use you should keep adjusting the mixing jets for proper efficiencty and power. yes it has a radiator curtin/shutter to help keep temps up to help burn the heavier fuels as the cooling system is massive and designed to run all day working and running full load stationary running belt driven machinery like saw mills,ect it has no thermostat,water pump or pressurized cap to go wrong. the coolant system is a siphoning system:greentractorride:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very cool, and great information! Once my wife and I get our new place with some space, I had figured on getting a D and a G added to the collection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts