Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last leaf cleanup and I usually just let my battery powered blower ride on the back of my imatch. It fits comfortably between the tool box and hitch but like the idiot I am it doesn’t stay when I drop the deck…

Getting after it. It’s raining. Being stubborn. Wife says my breakfast is getting cold.

Ran over something. Tractor right rear tire bounced up and over something…
Figured it’s a tree branch I missed. No biggy. Tough tractor.
Looked down and saw my 240 dollar blower battery laying there…
Oh Em Gee!
Shut Harold down immediately and got off to assess the accident.
This is what I saw
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Not good
Had to wrestle the blower out and actually back up a little to get the battery shroud out from between the deck and tire
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Tractor

Plant Grass Chainsaw Font Groundcover
So I took it all back to the house like an injured dog. I LOVE this blower and it’s my very favorite tool I own.
Sprayed it all off with the hose (Except the battery. I just wiped it off)
And it’s all now sitting high and drying off in the garage.
Road surface Asphalt Tar Flooring Road
Not a scratch on the battery…
Automotive tire Gadget Asphalt Bumper Audio equipment
And I ran it over…
With the mower on WOT!
That’s one tough blower.
Gonna give it a day or 2 before assembling.
My moneys on the blower working fine again.
Taking bets now. Whaddya think?

Let this be a lesson to all who get complacent and don’t tie stuff down. They can and will fall off…

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I've lost a couple phones setting them in the fender mounted cup holder.

Looks like it will survive.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Lost a brand new pair of Panoptix sport sunglasses one time after leaving them on the rear spoiler before I took off for an errand. To add insult to injury, I found them crushed and in pieces when I returned home. They made it about 50 feet down the road past my driveway. :oops: :cry:

Hope the blower lives to do battle another day.

·
Registered
649 Posts
A much happier ending than when I backed over my Echo string trimmer with my truck. No, it's not a curved shaft model, why do you ask?

Still holding onto the engine in case I hear of someone with a seized engine and then I can do a heart transplant.

Leaf Road surface Branch Asphalt Grass

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Good luck — seems like it will work again, Kyle. At the least that $$$ battery (I have 2 of those) should be fine.

Steve

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yep the most expensive part is that battery so you got that going for you. I did a similar thing but just with a metal rake. But the Wife was watching. I got out and my biggest concern was really the rake putting a hole in the rear tire, my saving grace was it was muddy so the rake got buried. Pulled it out and wife was like now what. Put the rake under the bucket and bent back into shape, I love that rake!

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must have the patience of Job.

I wouldn’t be able to hold myself back from trying it out right away.

I bet it works. C’mon, hook it up and test it. You know you really want to. :devilish:
I was very tempted :)Let’s just say I live in the Pacific NW where EVERYTHING gets wet and I’ve learned my lesson trying cell phones or flashlights that have been..ahem..dropped in the mud.
Best practice is to let it dry before frying something due to shorting out a circuit.:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad it didn't get busted up more..My vote is it will work. Um, by the way, was your goal to blow mud around?? :ROFLMAO:
Couldn't resist!

Steve
LOL no that’s a part of my yard I haven’t seeded yet. Had 30 trees I recently took down and got the stumps out. Going to let it settle out over the winter and then finish grade it and seed it. It’s not really that muddy over there. Those leaves have been laying there a while and everything’s wet from the heavy rains this past week.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Killed my Bluetooth ear phones mowing w 72” brush hog….went under tree and low branch swept them off my head… tried to stop in time but they did not survive

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,784 Posts
Looks like your Secret Santa needs to get you some Gear Ties for securing the blower to the I match.

The absolutely most impressive part of the entire story for me is that you were doing these things before breakfast......

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I love my Stihl BGA 86 blower as well! It actually does a better job than my older gas model.

FYI -- Stihls are very durable, but I've had switch (trigger) failures on both my string trimmer and extended reach hedge trimmer during the past year. At least I caught the issues before the warranties expired. If something seems off, check it out early...

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love my Stihl BGA 86 blower as well! It actually does a better job than my older gas model.

FYI -- Stihls are very durable, but I've had switch (trigger) failures on both my string trimmer and extended reach hedge trimmer during the past year. At least I caught the issues before the warranties expired. If something seems off, check it out early...
I’m guessing it’s going to work. Not much seems broken. Just a little scuffed up. The shroud was able to click back on and it does have a small piece that snapped but it’s not hindering it from falling off. Still some residual moisture in there so I’ll let it be overnight.

I have been contemplating the 86. Wow! What an upgrade. I’m thoroughly impressed with the 85- Their first gen that was, in its day the strongest cordless handheld around. Looking at the numbers I’m astonished that the 86 has 50 more mph than the 85. And it’s lighter and quieter. I want an HLA 65 hedge trimmers next but that blower is on my radar

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Get mama's hair dryer and heat it up.

at least bring it inside.......

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I was very tempted :)Let’s just say I live in the Pacific NW where EVERYTHING gets wet and I’ve learned my lesson trying cell phones or flashlights that have been..ahem..dropped in the mud.
Best practice is to let it dry before frying something due to shorting out a circuit.:confused:
Putting it in a bag of rice will help pull the moisture out. Now you’ve found a use for those 50# bags of rice at Costco- drying out your Stihl tools!

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It’ll be fine inside the garage. If it ain’t, looks like I’ll be upgrading

Reactions: Mackford13 and rtgt
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.