Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I bought a M35A2 Deuce and a Half last week. Dirty drove it home in a blinding rain storm. At first he couldn't get the wipers to work so, he started with the manual lever.:laugh:

It's a 1971 American General with the Continental 465 turbo charged diesel engine. It's a 6x6 with Mack axles. The brakes are air over hydraulic. It's big, loud and ugly but, a lot of fun.

When we've driven it around town people wave or give us a thumbs up, a couple have saluted.:hi:

20160909_134510.jpg
20160909_134556.jpg

20160909_134533.jpg
20160909_134456.jpg

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
Super cool Mike. Now whatch'ya going to do with it? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Looks like it is in pretty good shape.

It ought to be a fun play toy. :kidw_truck_smiley: (but you're gonna need a pretty big sand box)

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super cool Mike. Now whatch'ya going to do with it? :laugh:
Keep fixin stuff that keeps breaking. Replaced the J pipe on the exhaust yesterday. Now the left air tank is leaking on the top of the tank.:lol:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Keep fixin stuff that keeps breaking. Replaced the J pipe on the exhaust yesterday. Now the left air tank is leaking on the top of the tank.:lol:
And so, the real fun begins. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
You are the only guy I have the privileged of knowing that PAYS for problems. Nice :thumbup1gif::lol:

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
There is a guy in town (I don't know him) that parts these out. When I drive by I see axles on a rack, wheels laying around, bare frames, sometimes the box. A few times a truck setting before he takes it apart. I assume he sells to the "monster" truck builders :dunno:

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
You made my day, Mike. Thanks for posting. I mentioned to my wife that your wife wouldn't allow it in the driveway.

My wife said that she would allow it as long as she could drive it. That almost sounds like an invitation to start a search. There is a guy not far from here that buys and sells them. There are a few on the streets and more in stone quarries. Seems like just a good every day driver to me.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
You made my day, Mike. Thanks for posting. I mentioned to my wife that your wife wouldn't allow it in the driveway.

My wife said that she would allow it as long as she could drive it. That almost sounds like an invitation to start a search. There is a guy not far from here that buys and sells them. There are a few on the streets and more in stone quarries. Seems like just a good every day driver to me.
Won't need snow tires either. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No bob job here. I've got no way to get the box lifted up.:laugh: She's a bit much to be a daily driver without power steering.:lol:

Brazing the air tank worked for crap. Fixed some holes made more.:nunu: Ordering new used tank. Oh and the drain valve must have a meltable piece in it.:dunno: By the end of the day it would hold 40 LBS of air. So we gained on it:banghead:

Here's a few pics of the inside.

20160909_134625.jpg 20160909_134617.jpg

20160909_134652.jpg 20160909_134646.jpg

20160909_135153.jpg

It might be a pain right now but, man it's fun to drive.

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
I'm sadly a little jealous..... Don't tell anyone please. :hi:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That is so cool! :thumbup1gif:

I would love to park it in my driveway just to piss the HOASS off. :lol:
I'd love to park a few in my trailer hood. LOL
If anyone needs free storage just hit me up. They don't have to run. You can just tow them in.

·
Registered
568 Posts
here's mine i fixed up. 72 am general. those are 2.5 ton rockwell axles. i put about 2k$ in it and would drive it anywhere. you must let the turbo cool down or you will be buying a new one. the c/d turbo spin at 30k rpm at idle can be over 60k while driving. parts are plentyfull :bigthumb:

btw the ldt-465 engine is 478 cubic inches. napa gold oil filter # is 1133 need 2 fuel filter primary is 3511 and both secondary are 3512 takes 2. 7 gallons of engine oil. i drive mine almost everyday on the road:good2:

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Nice! Now I know why your wife didn't want it in "her" driveway, if fits better on the lawn. :bigthumb:

If you're not fixing it, would it be a deuce/half? :lolol:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts