Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
So ever since I bought my 317 I have noticed it has never liked cold weather. Cold starts were always a bit rough, sometimes it would idle funny for about a minute then run normal. So finally back in February I installed a block heater, of course after that is warmed up enough that I didn't have a need for it. A couple of days ago I finally got a chance to try it out. The difference was quite impressive.
Before:

- Cold Start @ 28*F
After:

- Cold Start @ 26*F w/block heater

And of course some pictures of the block heater the day I put it in:
004.JPG 008.JPG

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree with you there, I have a block heater for my little 655 and being in the mid teens over this past weekend, I made sure it was plugged in and let it warm up for over an hour before I even attempt to start it. Otherwise if I try to start it without using the heater, I would wear down the battery to the point it needs to be charged back up again. Lucky for me when I bought my 655 back two years ago, to my surprise it had one installed already.

Bob

·
Registered
770 Posts
Gents,

I dunno if you are using one or not, but it's a simple little gizmo that allows for never having to wait for the tractor to be plugged in, and keeps the fuel from hazing up and gelling, simply by raising the immediate area temp. several degrees around the block.

Amazon.com: Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees: Home Improvement

Just plug things in, and done. It shuts off when it's above 35.

I use a couple for our tractors, and here and there in the barn to run 40w bulbs to keep the chemicals from freezing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Gents,

I dunno if you are using one or not, but it's a simple little gizmo that allows for never having to wait for the tractor to be plugged in, and keeps the fuel from hazing up and gelling, simply by raising the immediate area temp. several degrees around the block.

Amazon.com: Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees: Home Improvement

I use a couple for our tractors, and here and there in the barn to run 40w bulbs to keep the chemicals from freezing.
The nice thing around here is, I don't need one like this. The next time we will see 35º will be some time in late March/early April. I just plug mine in when I park the tractor, and the block is nice and warm when I need to use it two or three days later. :laugh:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Smoother starts

JD 3720 I hear what your saying about the cold starts. It's usually rough on everything and takes a few minutes to smooth out. I plug my tractor in first thing in the morning if I plan on using it that day. It sure makes the starts much smoother and easier on the pieces and parts I don't want to replace. I also went as far as RTVing one of those heat pads under my transmission. The block heater warms the coolant and the pad heats the hydraulic/transmission oils. Sure does make it easier on all the parts when it is cold.
Talked to my folks in Silverton OR (where I'm originally from) and you have been really cold there lately. Brrr.... At least for OR standards. We're -35 this morning up here in AK and the tractor stays in the barn with old sleeping bags over the engine compartment til it gets alot warmer out. I hope ya get warmer soon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents,

Very cool, looks like something I should think about getting. I plug my truck and Deere in every night that I feel will be cold, having something like that would be perfect.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The nice thing around here is, I don't need one like this. The next time we will see 35º will be some time in late March/early April. I just plug mine in when I park the tractor, and the block is nice and warm when I need to use it two or three days later. :laugh:
Yeah, it's not so different here. But bieng on the windward side of the lake we get spells where it will warm up to 40 now and then outta the blue for a day or two. Usually just enough to make a sloppy mess under the snow similar to quick sand, after it goes back to freezing.:thumbsdown:

I fried a couple Kats heaters when we had a really wet spring one year.
Temps went from single digits, to the 50's in late March, and started raining for a week.
I totally forgot about the heaters, because there was no snow to push, and things were too muddy to even think about field work.
I forget stuff, and have too many things to forget, so the thermostat plug thingys save my forgetfull self money in the long run.:lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi all,

I got a couple thermocubes a few weeks ago. They work great. The only problem I had was initially I plugged the thermocube into the wall outlet. The tractor is in an enclosed lean-to on the side of the house. On the other side of the outlet is my heated to 60 degree garage, shop and storage area. Even with R-19 insulation in that wall the thermocube did not get cold enough to turn on. Moved the thermocube to the tractor end of the 12 foot extension cord and it works great. I use one outlet for the block heater and the other for a small Harbor Freight float charger.:good2:

I put the second thermocube in the chicken coop with a heat lamp on it. The waterer is a few feet below it and does not freeze.:thumbup1gif:

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts