Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #1
Our above ground swimming pool has relieved itself of most of its water again this winter :banghead:. In thinking about sharing this with all of you I realized that I never showed you what happened last year as at that time I wasn't on GTT much due to "life". Last year the extreme cold and an early freeze/thaw pattern caused ice to shift in the pool (we surmise)/(18'x33' oval) and apparently the liner flexed/tore and the water "trickled" out. We noticed it was pretty much empty around President's day when we saw the cover had gave up under the weight of the snow, with nothing to support it underneath. We found the missing water though! It was in the barn....in the form of a 6" layer of ice.:banghead: Luckily nothing was damaged in the barn and the ice eventually melted. We didn't find the "smoking gun" hole in the liner that we had hoped. Instead, many small tears, 15 to be exact. Luckily the sand under to pool seemed solid although not perfectly smooth. So Mrs. CP eventually had the pool holding the 14,000 gallons of water the water truck brought us to fill'er back up. We knew with 15 patches, that the liner wouldn't last forever, but everything seemed fine when we splurged, and had the pool place close the pool for us in the fall (best $ ever spent?). I had a feeling it was leaking by the end of the year as the ground seemed awfully wet on the downhill side, but it was wet weather too. Well this week's thaw confirmed it, it's lost most of its water again.:banghead: But there is no water in the barn :thumbup1gif:. So we will wait and see. The new last fall winter cover is shot. Obviously a new liner is in order, and it of course it will need to be refilled, but that doesn't answer the "why" does this keep happening. Our theory is that it is a combo of the soil conditions (not good, especially in the vicinity of the pool) and the extreme cold of the last 2 winters. Time will tell, but we are contemplating throwing the towel in on the whole pool. We use the hot tub, way more than the pool anyway.:flag_of_truce:

Last year:

The amount of water left in it last year:

The skating rink in the barn:

This year:

The deck heaves this year:

The amount or lack of water:

Also to pour salt in the wounds, shortly after realizing the pool had issues, we realized our sand filter for the septic system was shot. We will blame it on old age (25 years old), yeah that's our story. And then while the lawn was tore up, I put some pressure on the town to clean out the ditch that carries all the road runoff into the woods. It was making us nervous in the spring and was damaging the berm that we had put in for extra protection. I used the material from the ditch to repair the lawn. It worked like a charm. The lawn is now smooth and I managed to get some grass seed down, but not many pics of the finished product.

Registered
Interesting story CP, but a lot of bad luck in a short period of time. This is a good thread to remember when something goes wrong. Read this and we will find that maybe our problems aren't quite as bad as we think.

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent point! The ditch was more of a progressive thing so that didn't weigh on our minds much. But in the midst of the septic and pool, a wind gust blew over our glass topped patio table. I was finding tempered glass bits all summer long. We figured/hoped that was our "bad things happen in 3s"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi

Registered
Wow - as far as the pool I would ditch it myself. But that's just me (I have a nice creek behind the house!).

My first question is that if you had a pool company close the pool for you last fall, is any of this their responsibility?

I'd like to smack that stat Gradall operator - you can do a much nicer job with a Gradall and finish bucket than that!

I'd be all in for the hot tub myself - I've never owned a pool but always hear about how much work they are. Do you kids use the pool much?

Quite a shame if you do give up on the pool - you put up such a nice fence/deck structure around it.

Super Moderator
My above ground pool ends up the same way every spring. I haven't had any leaks yet though. The pool cover loads up with snow/water over the course of the winter and pushes the floats down. Once everything thaws in the spring the weight of the water on the cover displaces the water below the cover and causes it to rise high enough to run out the filter outlet/inlet openings.

Once I pump out the water from on top of the cover and remove it, the water in the pool is only about 12" deep.

Our pool came with the house when we bought it and we've said all along that when it goes, we aren't putting any money into repairing it. It costs us very little to maintain when it's open but we only use it 2 or 3 times/year as it is. Plus, it's sitting where I'd really like to put a barn. :laugh:

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #6
Wow - as far as the pool I would ditch it myself. But that's just me (I have a nice creek behind the house!).

My first question is that if you had a pool company close the pool for you last fall, is any of this their responsibility?

I'd like to smack that stat Gradall operator - you can do a much nicer job with a Gradall and finish bucket than that!

I'd be all in for the hot tub myself - I've never owned a pool but always hear about how much work they are. Do you kids use the pool much?

Quite a shame if you do give up on the pool - you put up such a nice fence/deck structure around it.
The kids do use it, but are more selective about what temp the water is before they will jump in. They used to swim no matter what, and we don't heat the pool (one of our biggest pool mistakes if you ask me). If we take it down and don't replace, that deck structure and the pool pad will become my new raised bed and container gardening area, so no worries. As for the pool people, they live up the road and actually closed it totally different from how we have done it in the past. They closed it more like an inground pool, so I don't think that has much to do with it and I trust their judgment. As a side note, I should include how the pool came to be. When we put it in, it was more of a guilt thing. My wife and kids had wanted a puppy and I did something I had never done in all the years we had been married. I said no, I didn't care what everybody else wanted, I said no. I suggested a pool instead. Well now I have mellowed and a puppy would be ok. So that is back in discussion. The kids still say they would rather have a dog and be without the pool鈥o figure

My above ground pool ends up the same way every spring. I haven't had any leaks yet though. The pool cover loads up with snow/water over the course of the winter and pushes the floats down. Once everything thaws in the spring the weight of the water on the cover displaces the water below the cover and causes it to rise high enough to run out the filter outlet/inlet openings.

Once I pump out the water from on top of the cover and remove it, the water in the pool is only about 12" deep.

Our pool came with the house when we bought it and we've said all along that when it goes, we aren't putting any money into repairing it. It costs us very little to maintain when it's open but we only use it 2 or 3 times/year as it is. Plus, it's sitting where I'd really like to put a barn. :laugh:
We have talked about not even covering it next year if we fix it. Just skim the leaves out of it and shock the he!! out of the water in the fall. Maybe put one of those leaf nets over it, but forget the winter cover

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

Registered
Sorry to see your trouble. We put a pool in right after building the house and thought it would be great but after the first two years the kids quit using it. It was about time to replace the liner and we needed some concrete work done around the pool so we decided to fill it in and honestly it was the best thing we ever did. We learned our lesson on pools, we will never have another one

Reactions: Levi and ColonyPark

Read Only
Reading this makes me feel really good about the decision we made when we bought our house. We we looked at the house, water was all over the back yard area. Lots of snow we thought, but then it dawned on us, the pool. We inquired about removing the pool. Sellers said no, until they realized the liner was shot. They removed it, we cleaned up the rock and sand. I'm curious how the neighbors pool will do come spring.

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #10
Reading this makes me feel really good about the decision we made when we bought our house. We we looked at the house, water was all over the back yard area. Lots of snow we thought, but then it dawned on us, the pool. We inquired about removing the pool. Sellers said no, until they realized the liner was shot. They removed it, we cleaned up the rock and sand. I'm curious how the neighbors pool will do come spring.

If you noticed my neighbor's pool in the background, Murphy's Law will apply. He asked my opinion on a pool, I told him to get a hot tub. His wife agreed with me, so he put a pool in? They put it in in the fall, filled it and closed it. Our air pillows always last only a few weeks, his is perfect, even after all winter鈥f course. His pool will probably be "the best thing ever". I hope it is for their sake

If it is any consolation, you do have some nice ass grass. :cheers:
Thanks! Upon closer inspection, it's mostly weeds, but it mows up nice so no complaints

Registered
We have an above ground pool and have never had an issue like that. I only lower the water to about a foot below the skimmer and don't use a winter cover. It drops below -30 here for alot of the winter and the pool is just a complete frozen block. It thaws out very nice in the spring and the only down side to not covering it is it takes longer to get it all cleaned up in the spring when we reopen it.

Reactions: ColonyPark

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #12
We have an above ground pool and have never had an issue like that. I only lower the water to about a foot below the skimmer and don't use a winter cover. It drops below -30 here for alot of the winter and the pool is just a complete frozen block. It thaws out very nice in the spring and the only down side to not covering it is it takes longer to get it all cleaned up in the spring when we reopen it.
Good to know. We didn't get it filled last year until about the first week of July. The 8"-10" of water in the bottom were not looking too hot by then. We were amazed at how quick it cleaned up and how well it diluted the dirt well it was filled. This is why we thought about not covering it, then there is no pressure on the pool structure from the build up of water of snow on the cover. We thought maybe just a leaf net over the top to catch the bigger stuff.

We noticed yesterday that a couple of the side panels have flexed, but the posts all are still plumb. So time will tell. :unknown:

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Sounds a lot like what we did. Gave up on covers the third year of owning the pool!

Registered
I don't have a pool, just a hot tub but I'm curious why you don't drain it in the fall? I would have thought having it freeze would be a bad thing.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
I don't have a pool, just a hot tub but I'm curious why you don't drain it in the fall? I would have thought having it freeze would be a bad thing.
More than likely the sides would collapse.

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #16

Super Moderator
We have talked about not even covering it next year if we fix it. Just skim the leaves out of it and shock the he!! out of the water in the fall. Maybe put one of those leaf nets over it, but forget the winter cover

Ya know... now that you mention it, when we bought the house there was one of those mesh net covers in the pool shed. I've never used one (never even seen one before!) and thought the whole idea was to put it over the top of a regular cover. I just never bothered with it at all. But there wasn't a regular cover in the pool shed either...

Maybe I should have asked the seller about that? :laugh: Maybe I'll try just using that mesh net cover next winter and see how it works.

Registered
Most times 'round here, we just go swimming in the excavated sand pits, some are 12-13 acres of water and crystal clear.
Our other option is to ride down to the beach and jump into the Atlantic ocean.

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #19
Most times 'round here, we just go swimming in the excavated sand pits, some are 12-13 acres of water and crystal clear.
Our other option is to ride down to the beach and jump into the Atlantic ocean.
Being you're from NC, then you will appreciate the fact that I would much rather be swimming in the waters off Topsail Island than messing with this pool!:good2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts