Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was bound to croak & it has. MY Dell with windows XP has kicked the bucket. I can turn it on, & boot up. But as soon as it warms up, my monitor starts rapidly flashing on & off at a real dizzy speed & then the mouse & keyboard lock up. At this point I can't re start it. But if I wait long enough, & the tower is completely at room temperature I can get it going but then the scenario repeats itself.

I think that I may have several capacitors that are burned out from heat. What I know about electronics you can fit on the head of a pin & have room left over for a banquet.

I'm shopping now for a new desktop of modest price. Looking at HP pavilion with a 23" monitor. But can someone explain what the difference is in Windows 8 & windows 8.1 Also I'm not a fan of the touch screen. Just need a keyboard & mouse of the wireless variety. And I also need to replace my all in one mono laser printer. Any suggestions?
:unknown::fire::cry::banghead:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Based on you not using the touch interface you will want 8.1. It is essentially the same but now it has options to auto boot to a normal desktop instead of the touch tile interface and our happy start button is back. Even if you purchase a machine with 8 it will autoupdate for free to 8.1 when you connect to windows update the first time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
You could also get a Win7 Pro machine so it would be more like the XP your used to. Win8 is a completely different animal to train.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on you not using the touch interface you will want 8.1. It is essentially the same but now it has options to auto boot to a normal desktop instead of the touch tile interface and our happy start button is back. Even if you purchase a machine with 8 it will autoupdate for free to 8.1 when you connect to windows update the first time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Good info on 8 Vs. 8.1 A friend just got one with 8 installed & he upgraded as you said to 8.1 on the first connect.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could also get a Win7 Pro machine so it would be more like the XP your used to. Win8 is a completely different animal to train.
Thanks. My wife's laptop is win7. While its somewhat like XP, I really don't care for it. I've played around with win 8 at best buy & while it will take some getting use to or re training myself, I think it's pretty good. I'm sure there are some pros & cons to it, but I'm really not a heavy user & it probably has way more than I will use. For all the years I've had XP, I never even scratched the surface of what it could do.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hiya,

I recommend that you look at refurbished business class systems rather than new retail systems. The business class systems may not be flashy and cool looking with blinky lights and sleek cases but they are build to run 24-7-365 for years and years and be stable and reliable.

One of my favorite places to get high quality refurbished systems is US Micro ( US Micro - Computers, Laptops, Servers and more from Dell, Cisco, HP and other brands. ) A bonus is that they offer 10% off your first order. I took a quick look and they have desktops ranging from $150 for a basic desktop system to $600 for professional workstation systems with server class processors and CAD quality graphic cards. Why be the person that pays the depreciation in the first 2 years, let the big company's pay it for you. :thumbup1gif:

Tom

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiya,

I recommend that you look at refurbished business class systems rather than new retail systems. The business class systems may not be flashy and cool looking with blinky lights and sleek cases but they are build to run 24-7-365 for years and years and be stable and reliable.

One of my favorite places to get high quality refurbished systems is US Micro ( US Micro - Computers, Laptops, Servers and more from Dell, Cisco, HP and other brands. ) A bonus is that they offer 10% off your first order. I took a quick look and they have desktops ranging from $150 for a basic desktop system to $600 for professional workstation systems with server class processors and CAD quality graphic cards. Why be the person that pays the depreciation in the first 2 years, let the big company's pay it for you. :thumbup1gif:

Tom
Thanks. I'm looking into it.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Tiger Direct has off lease computers too. I picked up a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop from them less than a year ago, for well under $200 delilvered. Use it mainly for backup, in case my main laptop hiccups, (or worse).

·
Registered
892 Posts
You can still get business grade machines with win 7 today. I just bought 32 Dell latitude e6540s a week ago.

Jim

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Tiger Direct has off lease computers too. I picked up a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop from them less than a year ago, for well under $200 delilvered. Use it mainly for backup, in case my main laptop hiccups, (or worse).
Hiya,

US Micro is the off-lease/refurbished system supplier to Tiger Direct.

From what I have seen, TD gets the higher wear/lower condition B and C grade systems for the price point where the majority of systems listed on US Micro site are A grade with some B's. Also on US Micro, since thy are the vendor, you can choose options and warranty length.

Eliminate the middleman and get a better deal...

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts