Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a Zero turn with the new rear discharge. I am looking to purchase a Z950R. I currently have a Z930M with a side discharge. Love the mower and has a great quality cut. I don't want to regret going with the rear discharge. Told my sales guy I would need to demo the mower before I make the purchase. Just looking for some reviews on the new rear discharge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a 72" Fastback on my 1570 front mower. I prefer mowing with the rear discharge but it has some downside.

Cut quality is on par with my previous side discharge mowers. It mostly spreads clippings evenly vs the side discharge decks which could windrow. If the lawns gets ahead of me, it can leave a slight windrow on the left side but I use the lawn sweeper less with the rear discharge. It will cruise through very tall grass which would require slowing down with a side discharge although the result looks similar to cutting with a sickle mower. I prefer that to the heavy windrow or clumping with a side discharge.

One downside is it does not mulch much. I can mow back and forth over leaves and still have leaves. Same for long grass clippings. The side discharge mowers would grind them up. I have not tried Gator blades but I doubt it would make a huge difference.

Another downside is the machine gets dirty. May not be as bad with a zero turn but you could find you spend more time cleaning up after mowing. It's terrible on the front mount.

dsb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts