Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the front top driveshaft grease zerk. It’s reputation preceded itself and was well deserved.

I tried the little access hole and the zerk has an angle to it that screws that up. There is a slot beside it with hoses going through it. I was barely able to get the hose attached to it going through the slot. I shot grease all over before I got it just right. I used a Dewalt electric gun and the hose is stiff enough to force it on.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
I did the front top driveshaft grease zerk. It’s reputation preceded itself and was well deserved.

I tried the little access hole and the zerk has an angle to it that screws that up. There is a slot beside it with hoses going through it. I was barely able to get the hose attached to it going through the slot. I shot grease all over before I got it just right. I used a Dewalt electric gun and the hose is stiff enough to force it on.
You did well. I take off the lower portion of the cowling to get it from between the steering shaft support.

·
Premium Member
14,175 Posts

It gets easier with each time, well, usually. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,175 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You did well. I take off the lower portion of the cowling to get it from between the steering shaft support.
Unfortunately, that approach doesn't work with the new plastic molded steering column.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Is there an easier way to get to it? Anybody got pictures?
Sorry, after doing some further reading, I realized that this has been mentioned in a past thread and there has been a lot of discussion on the matter. Thanks to Tim for the video. I think that there will be a new grease gun and a couple of the adaptors in my future.

Reactions: Tractor Tim

·
Registered
12,466 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts

I took a look at mine again a couple days ago through the slit where you can see it from the bottom. Rotated the shaft using a screwdriver on the back Ujoint. Could not see a grease zerk on it. The joint hardly has to bend at all. It should be good for the 660 hours that my 4010 went to before exploding it.

Cannot grease the back joint because the zerk is a 45 degree one, and the tip is up against one end/side of the Ujoint.

Ralph

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest I didn’t have any trouble doing any of the except that top front one. I am using an electric gun with a long hose. The gun just sits on the ground and one hand runs the gun and the other hand jambs the hose on the grease fitting. You rotate the joint some and the zerk will open up where you can get on it. I put the tractor in neutral and the PTO in nuetral so you can spin some of the shafts. You can also grab the flywheel and spin it some to get at the zerks.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I can offer a solution which works for me which I learned from a previous post:

I use a mini-grease gun with a 6 inch tube slightly curved at the end($5 tractor supply). Rotate the flywheel until the zerk is visible thru the hole using a flashlight. The rear zerk will to be pointed down. Just needed to experiment with the angle to hold the gun.

I hope this helps as one solution...I just didn't want to drill a larger hole as was suggested in other posts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Does your 2320 have a side-access panel behind that cowling...on the right-hand side? I believe my Gen-1 2025R does. I really need to get this done. Maybe this week I can make it happen.

To pull the lower cowling, does the upper dashboard need to be moved up/ removed? I need to read through the sticky thread again....it seems everyone on that thread started cutting holes and making access panels to reach in to the zerk. If there is an access panel already there and just needs the cowling removed, I'll go that route. 50 hours comes around once a year, though...

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does your 2320 have a side-access panel behind that cowling...on the right-hand side? I believe my Gen-1 2025R does. I really need to get this done. Maybe this week I can make it happen.

To pull the lower cowling, does the upper dashboard need to be moved up/ removed? I need to read through the sticky thread again....it seems everyone on that thread started cutting holes and making access panels to reach in to the zerk. If there is an access panel already there and just needs the cowling removed, I'll go that route. 50 hours comes around once a year, though...
I have a side access panel but it has nothing to do with the grease zerk. To pull the cowling on a newer 2025R would take a lot of work, I wouldn't want to even try it for just greasing one joint. By far the easiest for me was to go through the slot next to the access hole. This slot has some hoses and tubes going through it but there is enough room. I used the small hole just as a window to see what I was doing. For me this was an easy way. Took me quite a bit of time to do this one u-joint but now that I know the best way for me, it would take less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Change out the u joints next time you have it apart. It is a game changer. Just lubed mine the other day from under the tractor. Took about 2 mins.

·
Premium Member
14,175 Posts
I've never greased a 2320 or the Gen1 2025R, but from what I've read on this forum I truly believe that the "infamous grease zerk" on the 1 series and the current 2025R is not nearly as inaccessible as the previous. Is it a PITA, yes, a little bit. But once you get things lined up it takes grease like a champ with minimal cussing and heartache. Maybe I'm wrong about this, like I said, I've never greased the previous tractors. But I believe when us guys with the new 2025R are griping, it's not a worthy as the poor fellas with the previous Gen or the 2320.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
I've never greased a 2320 or the Gen1 2025R, but from what I've read on this forum I truly believe that the "infamous grease zerk" on the 1 series and the current 2025R is not nearly as inaccessible as the previous. Is it a PITA, yes, a little bit. But once you get things lined up it takes grease like a champ with minimal cussing and heartache. Maybe I'm wrong about this, like I said, I've never greased the previous tractors. But I believe when us guys with the new 2025R are griping, it's not a worthy as the poor fellas with the previous Gen or the 2320.
Whenever you want the hands-on experience, let me know. :banghead:

You're not that far away.

Reactions: PJR832
1 - 20 of 28 Posts