Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I love jerky, and that looks REALLY yummy! I second wanting the recipe!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No secrets here, but I don't measure much, so your mileage may vary. I also make my own garlic powder and chili flakes, so there is that too... I'll do my best to guess amounts

I made two kinds. I started with two pieces of London broil/top round about 2.5 pounds each. Fat is not your friend when making jerky, pick a piece of meat without much fat and trim any off that may be there. I slice it somewhere between 1/4" and 3/8" thick. I don't like to slice it so thin that I feel like a coyote chewing on a deer. I've got a slicer, but even if you want to use a knife, put your meat in the freezer for about 2 hours to firm it up. No matter how you decide to slice it, it will make it so much easier. Once it is all sliced up, toss it into gallon zip lock bags. Now it is time to make your marinade.

Normal/spicy Jerky.

1 cup kikkoman low sodium soy sauce.
1 cup lea and perrins worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons homemade garlic powder
2 tablespoons homemade chili flakes
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 tablespoons local honey

Teriyaki Jerky
1 and 1/2 cups kikkoman teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup lea and perrins worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons homemade garlic powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 tablespoons local honey

Pour your marinade over your sweet meat and let it sit overnight. I dehydrate mine in my Excalibur dehydrator for anywhere between 8-12 hours depending on the outside temp and the thickness of the meat. My dehydrator is in the garage, so times vary wildly. Weather you are using a dehydrator, oven or smoker, just check it after about 6 hours and get it to where you like it. Oh, don't let it get over 200 degrees, preferably 180 at any point.

Let me know if you hve any more questions. I'll try to answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts