Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in 40-45 years the John Deere M left our family farm (originally purchased by Mrs. CP’s great grandfather in 1938 and currently owned by her uncle) and headed to our place. This tractor was bought in the late 70s - early 80s by Mrs. CP’s grandfather because all of great grandpa’s tractors were shot. A year or so ago the M stopped wanting to go into gear. Our uncle decided that was it, the Kioti would assume all duties and the M would be sold. Mrs. CP wasn’t having any of it, so we brought it home to be repaired, along with the No. 51 sickle bar mower. The 2 bottom plow and front snow blade are still at the farm and may remain there. I have arranged to have a guy fix the M and give it a good once over and remove the jerry rigging that our uncle did. I think/hope he’ll look at the mower too. My youngest is in love with the M and wants to give it a full degreasing when it is repaired. Eventually he’d like to do a full repaint and have it shiny green and yellow. But at any rate, he wants it operational for his last drive your tractor to school day next May/June. Oh, and Mrs. CP was able to grab some pics of him on and around the M today to be used with his senior pics. She did a great job cropping out the trailer and straps. I’m no mechanic so I would like to get it to the point of it being reliable and ready to mow our 5 acres of field. I’m also not opposed to putting the sickle bar mower in a corner or the barn and converting to a 3 point setup and just using my 4’ brush hog. Here are some pics…….

Tire Wheel Cloud Land vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Tractor

·
Administrator
22,618 Posts
Super super cool!!! Nice! (y)

·
Registered
16,354 Posts
That is a good looking tractor Jamie. Keep us informed when you are working on it.

By the way, is the Silverado leaving when the Expedition arrives?

·
Old Pa-pa
15,113 Posts
For the first time in 40-45 years the John Deere M left our family farm (originally purchased by Mrs. CP’s great grandfather in 1938 and currently owned by her uncle) and headed to our place.
Nice to see ya getting into some tractoring there dirt measurer! (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
I had a ‘51 M. They’re a good running tractor. It had a 2, 14” bottom plow that attached on the 2 pt and had a bar that extended to the saddle under the bell housing. It pulled it pretty well once the shares got shined up again. The only wheel weights it had were the big 100 # dome castings for the front wheels. The rear wheels and tires were oversized and the tubes were filled with calcium. I used it for 20 years working the field, mowing the backyard with a JD 503 brush hog. I just made a couple brackets and hung the mower from the 2 pt bar and let it ride on the back wheel. If I did need to pick it up I just attached a chain to where the top link would connect to the mower and run it forward to the saddle. Then it would lift like it like a 3 pt.

In all that time, I only had to replace one of the hydraulic pump shafts and a install a new clutch plate. Splitting it wasn’t hard, but keeping it blocked up and secured with chains from above was interesting. Good luck with the rebuild. Don’t forget photos of the progress.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That's really neat & a great story behind it. Nice to hear your son has a geat interest in it to.

·
Corndog Hater
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That is a good looking tractor Jamie. Keep us informed when you are working on it.

By the way, is the Silverado leaving when the Expedition arrives?
Yes the Silverado will be going. I’m tempted to sell it to Carvana or list it locally as I’m sure the dealer will low ball it. Anyone interested in a 2018 Silverado 1500 Max Tow with 42,000+/- miles??

I had a ‘51 M. They’re a good running tractor. It had a 2, 14” bottom plow that attached on the 2 pt and had a bar that extended to the saddle under the bell housing. It pulled it pretty well once the shares got shined up again. The only wheel weights it had were the big 100 # dome castings for the front wheels. The rear wheels and tires were oversized and the tubes were filled with calcium. I used it for 20 years working the field, mowing the backyard with a JD 503 brush hog. I just made a couple brackets and hung the mower from the 2 pt bar and let it ride on the back wheel. If I did need to pick it up I just attached a chain to where the top link would connect to the mower and run it forward to the saddle. Then it would lift like it like a 3 pt.

In all that time, I only had to replace one of the hydraulic pump shafts and a install a new clutch plate. Splitting it wasn’t hard, but keeping it blocked up and secured with chains from above was interesting. Good luck with the rebuild. Don’t forget photos of the progress.
Thanks! I think this is a 1949. Other than regular maintenance, it did get a new carb in 2009. The choke cable has to be pulled manually and the wiring needs redone. The guy that’s doing the mechanical work recommends converting it to 12 volt. I’m a total newbie with these older machines, anybody have any comments on 6v vs. 12v?

·
Premium Member
10,447 Posts
Nice rig and cool story Jamie. Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
@ColonyPark - Before heading to the dealer with the '18 get the number from carvanna and Vroom. It's a 5min job and you'll know what the dealer should pay for it. If they are low, tell them ok, thanks. I'll sell it to carvaroom... They'll want it and likely match the price. Be sure to rate your truck as perfect...

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
The guy that’s doing the mechanical work recommends converting it to 12 volt. I’m a total newbie with these older machines, anybody have any comments on 6v vs. 12v?
Mine was 6 volt, positive ground and the original generator had been replaced with a 6 volt alternator. I converted it to 12 volt negative ground, changed to a 12 volt alternator and installed a 12 volt coil. I did not have the starter rewound. They’re tough. It just spun a little faster and I never let it crank for more than 10-15 seconds. Since it spun faster, it usually started right up anyway. It ran that way for the next 18 years. One thing I found with the alternator is I had to put the smallest belt pulley I could on it. At full throttle around 1800 rpm, those 2 cylinders don’t really turn fast enough to make the alternator charge. I also had to add a toggle switch to activate the voltage regulator to get it to charge when running at lower rpm’s. I don’t remember how I hooked that up, but I could see that it wasn’t charging on the ammeter or volt meter. I don’t even remember which it had. 🤷‍♂️ It’s been 15 years after all. :whistle:

·
Corndog Hater
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@JDLTG Mrs. CP’s uncle added a toggle switch for something or other. It doesn’t sound like he used it much and he admitted that it was hard to tell if the switch was “on” or “off”. Thanks for the tips. The guy that is going to work on it is an uncle of a friend/neighbor. I was impressed by his knowledge in general, but particularly of the M.

@MattL I’ve already played around with Vroom, CarMax, Carvana and I noticed that with CarMax, the vehicle condition didn’t alter the price at all. The dealer has been great, but they have been somewhat “eager” to”recommend” CarMax or Vroom. My biggest obstacle has been in guesstimating the arrival of my new vehicle. It’s going on it’s second week of being “in production”.

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Glad to hear you have a knowledgeable source. They are invaluable. A lot of the old timers with knowledge of the old equipment are unfortunately dying off. I’m glad my ‘39 B is simple. Just a magneto and a carburetor. I bought it from my neighbor who had several old 2 cylinders, so he was full of information. But he’s 83 now and not doing nearly as well as he used to be.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
That don't need new paint.
Wipe a spot with a bit of diesel on a rag....I bet theres still some shine.

I like the" When found dead look"

Nice weights front and rear it appears.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Congrats Jamie and good luck with your project.

I have a 1942 LA, the size just under your M, that is 6 volt, positive ground. I've never had any reason to convert it to a 12 volt but I don't use it for anything other than show.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,396 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That don't need new paint.
Wipe a spot with a bit of diesel on a rag....I bet theres still some shine.

I like the" When found dead look"

Nice weights front and rear it appears.
That will be the first step. I'm hoping that just cleaning it up will be good enough for now. When he has his own place (and his own money), he can do with it as he pleases. Besides, I want to use it and run it, not have it be a barn queen. I think a nice patina is perfect for our use right now.

Congrats Jamie and good luck with your project.

I have a 1942 LA, the size just under your M, that is 6 volt, positive ground. I've never had any reason to convert it to a 12 volt but I don't use it for anything other than show.
Nice!!! (y)(y)(y)

I would leave it with 6V, but that's just me!
The more I read, the more I tend to agree. I think the guy who's going to work on it thinks that this is our only tractor. He mentioned about being sure to get all the attachments with it and that the snow blade would be something I'd definitely want because we all need to clear snow. As you guys know, I have plenty of ways to clear snow and won't be doing it with the M. Therefore, I think for putzing around our land and mowing the field, 6V is probably sufficient. I'm more curious about the 3PH conversion kits on the market so I can run my 4' brush hog behind it. He said he didn't recommend them as they weren't the best for longevity. But again, I'm not going to be using this tractor every day.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts