Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
You can legit touch our new fuel rods prior to being placed in the core and no harm will come to you.
I'll take your word for it. How about when they come out of the core?

Treefarmer

Premium Member
The new nuclear fuel is basically sealed with nothing hazardous exposed until it is disassembled for waste disposal at a disposal site. And the newest reactor designs are walk away safe, passive cooling. With a complete loss of systems, it just stops and cools off without anything actively flowing or actively rejecting heat.

So the nuclear reactor and reactor fuel are arguably safer than that crazy lady's organic weed killer 馃榿

Registered
I'll take your word for it. How about when they come out of the core?

Treefarmer
New fuel is shipped on semis like anything else. You can walk up and touch it. They take it out of the special shipping containers, then QC and reactor engineers meticulously inspect each fuel stick with white gloves on as not to get any skin oils on the fuel. We replace 1/3 of the core each outage. So we have 1/3 new, 1/3 once burned, and 1/3 twice burned to start every fuel cycle. At the end of the cycle its composition has changed somewhat and you would not be able to get near it without shielding. You can see the Cherenkov glow around the fuel when we take the head off. From there it goes into the spent fuel pool, and soon we will begin loading fuel into dry casks and placing it in an onsite storage rack.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So she is insisting you use her chosen non-selective herbicide to kill the weeds even after telling her it is the wrong product and will kill the entire lawn? Or is she now at a mental block that cannot compute? I assume if she persists that that is the chemical you must use, you will politely refuse the job since their entire lawn will die?
Now she isn't sure what she want's to do. She is "thinking about it". In fact, now I think she is scared of the "safe Organic Weed Killer" on which she spent nearly $225 for the 5 gallon container.........she asked if they should continue to keep it in the garage.

I know how this is going to end. The weeds are going to get treated with the spray product I use.

Another neighbor, who is also a physician, happens to be a Master Gardener. He is very knowledgeable on gardening and plant matters and he is going to talk to the wife, at her husband's request about using the broad leaf weed killer chemicals I and many have used for years, including himself. As he explained to the husband, when mixed properly and applied responsibly, the "chemical products" are very safe and effective.

I haven't specifically mentioned the products name because this is more about the general category of these products and how they are marketed, than about this specific product. Other "Organic Weed Killers" which I reviewed were of similar composition.

I will say that the marketing and websites are very misleading in their illustration of the application and general use of the products. They emphasize the product is "All Natural and made from Corn" and they show the mom spraying weeds with her young daughter no more than 2' off her elbow and everyone is happy and safe.

I can't help but think what would happen if the lovely young child in the video were to catch some over spray from the nozzle on her face by being that close to mom as she is spraying weeds while standing up. As caustic as the 20% vinegar is, I am sure that could lead to an ER visit and some skin issues as well................

While I wear rubber gloves and other personal protection gear when I am handling and using any of these products, I would be more concerned about the results of the 20% vinegar on my skin than I would be of the normal concentrate of the broad leaf spray product I have used for years.

Registered
Peroxide is an oxidizer, but it needs something to react with at room temperature to become exothermic. I鈥檝e used 45% for mold removal and for work needs and nothing was a problem. The only time it was exothermic was in controlled situations and when someone put an incompatible material like aluminum into it and an acid.

I used it and sulfuric on time to save a development project. It destroyed 1/2 the unsellable product but the project stayed on schedule because of the side that survived

There are several other elements that will react violently with acid and peroxide. I can鈥檛 discuss that any further.

Registered
It's amazing what someone will do to maintain a peaceful house.

It's amazing what facts/logic spouses will dismiss because it's from their spouse.

Reactions: GaryD

Registered
Anything in the right quanitity can be hazardous to the health or environment. In my previous career as a FF/EMT-I I was a hazardous materials technician on a regional hazmat team. A semi carry milk wrecked. Most people dont think of milk as toxic. It killed all the flora and some of the fauna in that ditch.

Registered
Anything in the right quanitity can be hazardous to the health or environment. In my previous career as a FF/EMT-I I was a hazardous materials technician on a regional hazmat team. A semi carry milk wrecked. Most people dont think of milk as toxic. It killed all the flora and some of the fauna in that ditch.
Heck, so will plain water if it stands on an area.

Treefarmer

Registered
Dihydrogen monoxide kills alot of folks every year. Been a bunch of water rescues around here the last 24 hours.
It's tricky stuff- it can both knock you down and hold you up.

Treefarmer

Registered
I farm oranges for a living and I use both conventional and organic products. I concur with many of the statements made in this thread. People would be surprised by what products are considered organic. Case in point, look up the organic product Pyganic. It is naturally made from chrysanthemums. It is a pyrethrum that is a broad spectrum pesticide. Mother nature is not benign. Today"s conventional materials have move much closer to organic materials and the organic material have moved much closer to conventional.

Registered
Unfortunately, the issue with the neighbour's lawn is not that there are weeds, but that the growing conditions for the preferred species are not conducive to best growth.
In layman's terms, the soil is probably too acidic and rather compacted.
The problem would solve itself without any application of any weed killer if they would address the growing conditions.
Aerate the ground, then apply lawn food and a foliar spray of trace elements. Maybe it would need a pH intervention if the pH is wildly out of whack.
Bumping up the pH puts paid to most weeds anyway. As the lawn food and aeration work to encourage growth, the taller lawn grass will shade out the remaining weeds.
A weed is just a plant in the wrong place. Nature introduces a certain plant to bring nutrients to the surface that the soil needs to come back into balance. So there is a predominance of a particular species until there is enough of that nutrient from the rotted dead weeds now present in the top 6inches of soil. Then a different species will dominate. And so it goes on. That's how nature works.
We, on the other hand, want to see what we want to see whether the soil is ready for it or not.
So we must make the soil ready for the plant we want to see dominate. Lawn grass is also a heavy feeder and requires much maintenance.
A good lawn is a good way to keep fit and waste money! Hand weeding, spraying, fertilizing, mowing, more mowing, watering, yet more watering, more fertilizing, adnauseam.

Registered
I can't help but wonder if many people who want to "do the right thing" for the environment, operate with the misconception of products designated as "Organic" as being safe and harmless. But are they?

One of my neighbors contacted me asking for assistance because he is ashamed of how their yard looks. He told me that his wife is very concerned about using "any chemicals" and she is adamant about using "Organic Products" only. To be honest, I haven't really paid much attention to the "Organic Products", so this was a reason for me to learn more about them and research what they are and how they actually work. Let's just say, this was an eye opening experience......

She purchased a 5 gallon container of "Weed Killer" which she wanted applied to the lawn to deal with broad-leaf weeds. I read the instructions and the product is described as a "Non selective Contact Killer of weeds and grasses". In other words, it kills everything it touches including all weeds and grasses.

It Turns out it is made with one of its main disclosed ingredients being 20% Vinegar concentrate. On the label, the products were listed as 81% "other", after listing the Vinegar. By comparison, most table vinegar found in our homes is between 3% and 5% in concentration.

This makes the 20% Vinegar concentrate quite caustic. People who have purchased the product posted pictures on line where the product has leaked from the spray nozzle on the container and its eaten the finished layer of concrete right off the floor. Other pictures posted show it crumbling the surface layer of concrete and even eating a hole through a steel service door. It's a very effective weed control product, but it also kills all grasses and any plant on which it is applied.

The neighbor who purchased this product simply couldn't believe (in her words) that "An organic product would be damaging or destructive". I am surprised by what I have found, the more I have read. The level of personal protection gear to use "Organic Products" is every bit that of what one should wear when working with chemicals. In fact, the warning label on the Organic Weed killer says the following;

• Dangerous / Deadly to Fish, Birds and other Animals
  • Areas treated in agricultural settings should not allow workers to enter the area for 48 hours following treatment.
  • Applicators and other handlers of this product must wear appropriate protective eye ware such a face shields, goggles and other certified safety equipment. Rubber gloves must be worn as well as long sleeves, long pants, socks, shoes and all contact with the skin should be avoided.
  • Areas treated with this product should be avoided for at least 48 hours following treatment with this product.
  • Product is very caustic and will cause serious injury or death if absorbed through the skin or ingested.
  • The product even "suggests" that the empty product container be "thoroughly rinsed with 1/4 container of water and shaken vigorously with the cap sealed. Rinse contents should be dumped into application equipment for future use. This process should be repeated at least 3 more times before disposing of the empty product container". That's to dispose of the empty container for the organic product.

They have a video on the products website where mom is spraying weeds and her young daughter is within 3 feet of her and the video talks about how the product is "all natural and made from Corn" and "contains no harmful chemicals"

The website and the video marketing the product go to great lengths to illustrate that its not made with "Harmful chemicals" and just how safe this product is for use around people and pets. Anything which in its application form eat finished concrete and corrodes a steel door to the point it eats the paint off and destroys the metal, well, its prudent to question just how harmless and safe such a product truly is............

I can't help but think many people automatically associate "Organic" with a product being safe and harmless. Clearly that's not the case. In fact, based upon the amount of the product used to be effective, its often a multiple of the "chemical" alternative. This makes the organic product being used to treat the problem, applied in a much heavier concentration, which has concerns of its own.

For example, one "weed control" Organic Product I reviewed for use on the lawn required a total of 12 gallons of the product to treat the one acre of lawn, mixed with 36 gallons of water. Using the broad leaf control product I typically apply, it would require 1.5 ounces of product per gallon of water and a total of 45 gallons of mixed product to treat the same area. That means the end difference in the volume of the product mixed with water is slightly more than 1/2 gallon of chemical weed control product as compared to 12 gallons of the Organic product. Both mix with similar amounts of water to treat an acre of lawn.

The other interesting fact I found about many of the weed killer products is that the organic products often use a soap mixture, to actually coat the plants to suffocate them. It makes the mixing and application of the Organic product difficult because it easily creates suds when agitated even with the basic tank movement, making the need to add the organic product after filling the sprayer with water and avoiding any agitation of the mixed product.

Another very interesting product comparison is to apply Nitrogen to the lawn using the natural product of Milorganite, which is made using the microbes material cleaned from the Milwaukee sewer treatment plant tanks. It sells in a 32 pound bag for about $16 per bag, which treats 2,500 sq feet. To treat an acre of lawn with the Milorganite product would require approximately 20 bags, with a total weight of 650 pounds at a cost of $320.

To treat the same acre with a nitrogen granular fertilizer product which I have used for years, require (3) 50 pound bags and a total cost of $125.

Milorganite appears to be a "safer" product from an application stand point. Its very unlikely you will burn the lawn applying Milorganite and its pelletized product makes the application of the product consistent as moisture breaks down the Milorganite into the lawn. Other than the higher cost and the much larger volume of product needed, the dangers of using Milorganite verses other nitrogen fertilizers seems to be much less........

Lot's to consider when looking at "Organic Alternatives", including the amount of the product needed and its cost when compared to traditional product sources of engineered products.
I can't help but wonder if many people who want to "do the right thing" for the environment, operate with the misconception of products designated as "Organic" as being safe and harmless. But are they?

One of my neighbors contacted me asking for assistance because he is ashamed of how their yard looks. He told me that his wife is very concerned about using "any chemicals" and she is adamant about using "Organic Products" only. To be honest, I haven't really paid much attention to the "Organic Products", so this was a reason for me to learn more about them and research what they are and how they actually work. Let's just say, this was an eye opening experience......

She purchased a 5 gallon container of "Weed Killer" which she wanted applied to the lawn to deal with broad-leaf weeds. I read the instructions and the product is described as a "Non selective Contact Killer of weeds and grasses". In other words, it kills everything it touches including all weeds and grasses.

It Turns out it is made with one of its main disclosed ingredients being 20% Vinegar concentrate. On the label, the products were listed as 81% "other", after listing the Vinegar. By comparison, most table vinegar found in our homes is between 3% and 5% in concentration.

This makes the 20% Vinegar concentrate quite caustic. People who have purchased the product posted pictures on line where the product has leaked from the spray nozzle on the container and its eaten the finished layer of concrete right off the floor. Other pictures posted show it crumbling the surface layer of concrete and even eating a hole through a steel service door. It's a very effective weed control product, but it also kills all grasses and any plant on which it is applied.

The neighbor who purchased this product simply couldn't believe (in her words) that "An organic product would be damaging or destructive". I am surprised by what I have found, the more I have read. The level of personal protection gear to use "Organic Products" is every bit that of what one should wear when working with chemicals. In fact, the warning label on the Organic Weed killer says the following;

• Dangerous / Deadly to Fish, Birds and other Animals
  • Areas treated in agricultural settings should not allow workers to enter the area for 48 hours following treatment.
  • Applicators and other handlers of this product must wear appropriate protective eye ware such a face shields, goggles and other certified safety equipment. Rubber gloves must be worn as well as long sleeves, long pants, socks, shoes and all contact with the skin should be avoided.
  • Areas treated with this product should be avoided for at least 48 hours following treatment with this product.
  • Product is very caustic and will cause serious injury or death if absorbed through the skin or ingested.
  • The product even "suggests" that the empty product container be "thoroughly rinsed with 1/4 container of water and shaken vigorously with the cap sealed. Rinse contents should be dumped into application equipment for future use. This process should be repeated at least 3 more times before disposing of the empty product container". That's to dispose of the empty container for the organic product.

They have a video on the products website where mom is spraying weeds and her young daughter is within 3 feet of her and the video talks about how the product is "all natural and made from Corn" and "contains no harmful chemicals"

The website and the video marketing the product go to great lengths to illustrate that its not made with "Harmful chemicals" and just how safe this product is for use around people and pets. Anything which in its application form eat finished concrete and corrodes a steel door to the point it eats the paint off and destroys the metal, well, its prudent to question just how harmless and safe such a product truly is............

I can't help but think many people automatically associate "Organic" with a product being safe and harmless. Clearly that's not the case. In fact, based upon the amount of the product used to be effective, its often a multiple of the "chemical" alternative. This makes the organic product being used to treat the problem, applied in a much heavier concentration, which has concerns of its own.

For example, one "weed control" Organic Product I reviewed for use on the lawn required a total of 12 gallons of the product to treat the one acre of lawn, mixed with 36 gallons of water. Using the broad leaf control product I typically apply, it would require 1.5 ounces of product per gallon of water and a total of 45 gallons of mixed product to treat the same area. That means the end difference in the volume of the product mixed with water is slightly more than 1/2 gallon of chemical weed control product as compared to 12 gallons of the Organic product. Both mix with similar amounts of water to treat an acre of lawn.

The other interesting fact I found about many of the weed killer products is that the organic products often use a soap mixture, to actually coat the plants to suffocate them. It makes the mixing and application of the Organic product difficult because it easily creates suds when agitated even with the basic tank movement, making the need to add the organic product after filling the sprayer with water and avoiding any agitation of the mixed product.

Another very interesting product comparison is to apply Nitrogen to the lawn using the natural product of Milorganite, which is made using the microbes material cleaned from the Milwaukee sewer treatment plant tanks. It sells in a 32 pound bag for about $16 per bag, which treats 2,500 sq feet. To treat an acre of lawn with the Milorganite product would require approximately 20 bags, with a total weight of 650 pounds at a cost of $320.

To treat the same acre with a nitrogen granular fertilizer product which I have used for years, require (3) 50 pound bags and a total cost of $125.

Milorganite appears to be a "safer" product from an application stand point. Its very unlikely you will burn the lawn applying Milorganite and its pelletized product makes the application of the product consistent as moisture breaks down the Milorganite into the lawn. Other than the higher cost and the much larger volume of product needed, the dangers of using Milorganite verses other nitrogen fertilizers seems to be much less........

Lot's to consider when looking at "Organic Alternatives", including the amount of the product needed and its cost when compared to traditional product sources of engineered products.
Your reference to the wastewater treatment plant 鈥渂io-solids鈥 product got my attention. Here in the western USA, a product named 鈥淥rganic Black Gold鈥 is widely available in box stores everywhere. Organic Black Gold is a product of the wastewater treatment plant in Kalispell, Montana. It processes wastewater from Kalispell and Whitefish, the world renowned ski area and a real estate shelter for the global wealthy.
I have repeatedly asked several 鈥済enerations鈥 of plant and marketing managers exactly what they test for in the bio-solids they market. The reply is always the same; 鈥渋t meets the federal standard...鈥. However, they don鈥檛 test for, among other things, stuff that flushes from the toilets of the rich and famous:
estrogen
testosterone
cocaine
opioids
benzine
and any number of substances which would render their product not organic.

A load of claims are made about 鈥淥rganic鈥, but corrupt marketing schemes apply to them as well as everything else. My yard and garden are organic. That is impossible on my farm.
Sully Bear makes the point that what they say ain鈥檛 actually what is. Read the labels.

Registered
The crazy thing for me to understand is BT corn seed and organic farming. BT (bacillus thorigenisis) is a natural bacteria in the soil that kills the corn borer worm. BT seed has this trait genetically modified into the seed so you don't have to spray or dust. For organic control of this pest it is to spray or dust the ears when they are in the silk stage. The recommended product, Bacillus thorigenisis.

The silk goes to every kernel of corn so essentially the bacteria is absorbed and regardless if it is a GMO seed with BT trait or organic methods using BT you are consuming the same thing.

Registered
Now she isn't sure what she want's to do. She is "thinking about it". In fact, now I think she is scared of the "safe Organic Weed Killer" on which she spent nearly $225 for the 5 gallon container.........she asked if they should continue to keep it in the garage.

I know how this is going to end. The weeds are going to get treated with the spray product I use.

Another neighbor, who is also a physician, happens to be a Master Gardener. He is very knowledgeable on gardening and plant matters and he is going to talk to the wife, at her husband's request about using the broad leaf weed killer chemicals I and many have used for years, including himself. As he explained to the husband, when mixed properly and applied responsibly, the "chemical products" are very safe and effective.

I haven't specifically mentioned the products name because this is more about the general category of these products and how they are marketed, than about this specific product. Other "Organic Weed Killers" which I reviewed were of similar composition.

I will say that the marketing and websites are very misleading in their illustration of the application and general use of the products. They emphasize the product is "All Natural and made from Corn" and they show the mom spraying weeds with her young daughter no more than 2' off her elbow and everyone is happy and safe.

I can't help but think what would happen if the lovely young child in the video were to catch some over spray from the nozzle on her face by being that close to mom as she is spraying weeds while standing up. As caustic as the 20% vinegar is, I am sure that could lead to an ER visit and some skin issues as well................

While I wear rubber gloves and other personal protection gear when I am handling and using any of these products, I would be more concerned about the results of the 20% vinegar on my skin than I would be of the normal concentrate of the broad leaf spray product I have used for years.
That鈥檚 not fair - using facts and expert witnesses!

Registered
Your reference to the wastewater treatment plant 鈥渂io-solids鈥 product got my attention. Here in the western USA, a product named 鈥淥rganic Black Gold鈥 is widely available in box stores everywhere. Organic Black Gold is a product of the wastewater treatment plant in Kalispell, Montana. It processes wastewater from Kalispell and Whitefish, the world renowned ski area and a real estate shelter for the global wealthy.
I have repeatedly asked several 鈥済enerations鈥 of plant and marketing managers exactly what they test for in the bio-solids they market. The reply is always the same; 鈥渋t meets the federal standard...鈥. However, they don鈥檛 test for, among other things, stuff that flushes from the toilets of the rich and famous:
estrogen
testosterone
cocaine
opioids
benzine
and any number of substances which would render their product not organic.

A load of claims are made about 鈥淥rganic鈥, but corrupt marketing schemes apply to them as well as everything else. My yard and garden are organic. That is impossible on my farm.
Sully Bear makes the point that what they say ain鈥檛 actually what is. Read the labels.
And this in today鈥檚 Guardian: 鈥楩orever chemicals鈥 found in home fertilizer made from sewage sludge

Registered
1023e, H120, 60D MMM
Interesting conversation here. I grew up as a farm kid, and learned early on about proper use of chemicals. My Dad had a farm hand that did organic farming on his own time as well and both learned a lot about each other's methods. It was helpful for both. My daughter does have a rather significant gluten intolerance that manifests as a rash on her body, that looks a lot like psoriasis. She does have a very restricted diet and we do tend to purchase organic vegetables and GF foods for her (and the whole family as a result). My wife did have some ill feelings about my spraying of Trimec on our lawn and roundup on the driveway, concerned that it was leaching into our well water. However, our property is surrounded by a tree farm (Not Treefarmers), and so she wanted a water test done. After that test, our water tested better than all of our neighbors (the county provided aggregated results) with no measurable pesticides or herbicides, no abnormal metals, and really, better quality than even town water in the area. After I showed her the product labels (I always read and follow them) and the MSDS, she agreed that when used according to the label that they were safe. So this year, she was ok with my spraying Trimec in a controlled manner, as well as she asked to use roundup around some areas to make it easier to mow, and maintain the driveway. It's a process to get weeds back under control and grass growing again when it's not treated for several years, but the yard hasn't looked this good in a long time.

Registered
Hydrogen Peroxide is another chemical like this. The stuff you get from the drug store is typically 3% or less (if I remember right). I asked a railroad worker one time what was the worst thing they hauled, he told me hydrogen peroxide concentrate was near the top of the list. It was basically a "zero spill" item and could start a fire on the r/r ties if a small spill happened. Don't know if that it is 100% accurate info, but it was an eye opener.
On the RR one of the biggest fears was a chlorine tank leak. Chlorine, being heavier than air and extremely corrosive, is deadly and one of the nastiest PIH/TIH hazardous materials.
Walking into a chlorine gas cloud is deadly as it's corrosive thus will literally eat your lungs away.

Back on "organic". I certainly don't want to put anything into the ground that will go right down and end up in the water I or others drink. That's why pesticides and herbicides are well tested and I follow the label religiously.

I suspect if many folks used more potent chemicals and used them as listed they'd use less of them and have better results.

Instead internet advice (google, not GTT of course! :D) is filled with so-called "environmentally friendly" solutions that often don't work and trade off one hazard for another.

Premium Member
There are several other elements that will react violently with acid and peroxide. I can鈥檛 discuss that any further.
I think we need some elaboration here! :ROFLMAO: #heyyallwatchthis

Premium Member
鈥淣atural鈥 is another one of those terms some people believe are healthy and good for you. I point out that e-coli, botulism are 鈥渘atural鈥 as well. Natural is a marketing term that means nothing.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts