Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started this project back in 2005. My dad, grandpa and I drove about two hours south of St.Louis and bought it from an older gentleman (I can't remember his name) and Tyler Buchheit who now writes articles for Green magazine and has a Facebook page devoted to vintage John Deere plows. I was trying to find a "cheap" restoration project:laugh::laugh::laugh: But I was happy with my purchase and couldn't wait to restore it. I first had the goal to restore to expo quality so I immediately started taking it apart. I now regret not trying to get it running first to see where it stood mechanically instead of tearing into it.
The first pic is as it sat when I looked at it, second pic is my grandpa and Mr. Buchheit, and the 3rd is my dad and grandpa.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Welcome to the club. :thumbup1gif:

I will easily have three to four times what my 60 is worth restoring it. To me, it wasn't about what it's worth. It's an American icon. A family heirloom. My Grandfather's favorite tractor. Even if I turned it into a mailbox, it's worth more to me than what someone would offer me for it.

My hat's off to you sir. :hi: Grab that bull by the horns. Save some history. Enjoy the ride and the outcome of your project. :thumbup1gif:

I'll be here to watch. And I love a D. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gas tank was pretty darn clean!

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were a few parts missing so I purchased a starter, generator, the seat assembly, rear rims and tires. I had the head rebuilt with new valves, guides and springs.
There was a ton of rust scale in the radiator, water pipe and in the jacket of the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was about as far as I got back in 2007. I had some life changing events. My son was born in 06, I got divorced in 08, I changed careers, sold my house and moved back in my with dad until I could get back on my feet.
After moving it 3 times over the years I finally brought it back to my new house to start working on it again, 9 years later. And luckily I now have the coolest wife in the world who supports my hobbies and goes to tractor shows with me. :cheers:
I have some newer pictures on my phone but now I can't remember my new password to log in:banghead: Damn security breach! I'll post a few more pics when I can.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bringing the tractor from my grandparents house to mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple pics of bringing it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I took the pistons out and measured the bore and the pistons. Everything checked out within tolerances. I have now changed my approach from trying to do a perfect restoration to just putting it back together and enjoying before my kids get to old!
I had a ton of carbon to clean from the pistion rings, and that stuff is tough to remove! I then honed the cylinders.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Cylinder looks pretty good.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A new set of piston rings and my homemade puller for the pulley/clutch side.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Carb was rebuilt years ago when I had the idea of a full resto. Just picked up the starter and generator from the shop. I had them leave the outside rusty and old looking. This is going to be one ugly tractor but at this point I don't care I just want it to run good!!

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Good job so far. :good2:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
This is going to be one ugly tractor but at this point I don't care...
My grandfather was not a hunter or a gun guy by any stretch of the imagination. He did own a rifle, Sears brand, a shotgun, Montgomery Wards brand, and a Colt pistol. I ended up with all three. The Colt is a pre war Woodsman and could be valuable to the right collector. One problem though, 40 years ago when someone put it away they left a fingerprint on the barrel. Over time the tiny bit of salt left in that fingerprint rusted and pitted a nickel sized spot. When I first took possession of it a few years ago I was willing to do what ever to make the blueing shine again. After taking it to many gunsmiths and metal refinishers, and heck I even looked at having a new old stock barrel fitted to it, I've decided that is not what grandad would have done. Yes it is not the best looking Colt out there but it belonged to my grandfather. So I took steps to stop it from rusting any more. Now I enjoy it as often as I can.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
My grandfather was not a hunter or a gun guy by any stretch of the imagination. He did own a rifle, Sears brand, a shotgun, Montgomery Wards brand, and a Colt pistol. I ended up with all three. The Colt is a pre war Woodsman and could be valuable to the right collector. One problem though, 40 years ago when someone put it away they left a fingerprint on the barrel. Over time the tiny bit of salt left in that fingerprint rusted and pitted a nickel sized spot. When I first took possession of it a few years ago I was willing to do what ever to make the blueing shine again. After taking it to many gunsmiths and metal refinishers, and heck I even looked at having a new old stock barrel fitted to it, I've decided that is not what grandad would have done. Yes it is not the best looking Colt out there but it belonged to my grandfather. So I took steps to stop it from rusting any more. Now I enjoy it as often as I can.
Good move on your part. I have some hand tools inherited from my Father & Grandfather. One of my most treasured possessions is a beat up old Case jack knife my Grandfather gave me when I was a kid. It wasn't new at the time, just a knife he kept in his pocket. Use it everyday to open my mail and think of him whenever I use it. Have always said he was the kindest, most patient, generous and hard working man I ever knew. Incredibly lucky to have been influenced by two Dad's growing up.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It looks like you are on the right path. Thanks for keeping in icon alive.

·
Registered
568 Posts
a true collector dont worry about cost:gizmo: you can see my 35 D in my avatar
yours is coming along nicely. you will love it the only thing its lacking is 3 more gears:laugh:
:greentractorride:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a true collector dont worry about cost:gizmo: you can see my 35 D in my avatar
yours is coming along nicely. you will love it the only thing its lacking is 3 more gears:laugh:
:greentractorride:
They definitely have a couple of speeds slow, slower, slowest:laugh: I've seen some of your posts about driving around town, I love it:cheers:.
We have several D's in the family and I have a soft spot for them....just not the pocketbook:gizmo:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts