Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After ordering a 2018 Kawasaki Mule SX 4X4 XC SE at the beginning of the month, I was finally able to pick it up today. I currently own a 2016 Mule 610 XC SE, so it was also interesting to compare and contrast the two. They will be used on two different properties, which is why I needed a second SXS.

Price: As stated in my first post, I set a budget of $10K "out the door." I was able to get the Mule for $7949 "out the door." The sticker price was $10,009 (including destination). My out the door price included the $250 military discount plus the amount I negotiated off from the dealer. In August 2016 I picked up the 610 XC SE for $7649 "out the door," which at the time "stickered" for $9189 with destination.

The changes, which took place starting the 2017 model year, include the following:
1) LED Headlamps and Spotlamps on the XC-SE model. The 2016 lamps were the same as the other models, which is why I needed to add a light bar.
2) Fuel Gauge. The new one has a digital fuel gauge on the dash above the hour meter. The 2016 has a fuel gauge next to the fuel tank filler.
3) Retractable seat belts. The older models had non-retractable belts.
4) Front tubular bumper. This is a really nice bumper. The 2016 has a plastic bumper that looks good, but is not functional.
5) Under seat storage is standard on the XC-SE. In 2016 this was an $90 option.
6) Tilt steering wheel is now standard. Not available on the 2016.
7) Integrated cargo rails in the bed. These will be nice. I put after market rails on the 2016.
8) The bottom of the cargo bed is now coated with stuff that looks like bed liner.

Other changes are primarily cosmetic. Once I have an opportunity to put the Mule to work, I'll do another post.

IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4651.jpeg

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Very nice machine, lots of upgrades from our 2012, might have to take a look at the new ones. :good2:

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
After ordering a 2018 Kawasaki Mule SX 4X4 XC SE at the beginning of the month, I was finally able to pick it up today.
Nice, real nice. I like it. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
Nice looking, good luck

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Very nice machine, lots of upgrades from our 2012, might have to take a look at the new ones. :good2:
Some of the upgrades are little things, like retractable belts and tilt steering, that I didn’t even know I wanted. Basically I would say it’s the same machine. They changed the tires from Maxxis to Duro tires of the same size and the XC models. It’s still what the Mulie has been known for—utility.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Some of the upgrades are little things, like retractable belts and tilt serving, that I didn’t even know I wanted. Basically I would say it’s the same machine. They changed the tires from Maxxis to Duro tires of the same size and the XC models. It’s still what the Mulie has been known for—utility.
These two would be the deal maker for me :good2: and our Mule is strictly a utility vehicle, I think only once I took Emma on a trail ride but that got cut short because the trails were made for 4 wheelers so the trails needed a lot more trimming for a side by side. :nunu: Oh wait, I did take one of my nephews on a different trail ride one other time, otherwise it's just hay bales and water sprayers for us. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
After ordering a 2018 Kawasaki Mule SX 4X4 XC SE at the beginning of the month, I was finally able to pick it up today. I currently own a 2016 Mule 610 XC SE, so it was also interesting to compare and contrast the two. They will be used on two different properties, which is why I needed a second SXS.

Price: As stated in my first post, I set a budget of $10K "out the door." I was able to get the Mule for $7949 "out the door." The sticker price was $10,009 (including destination). My out the door price included the $250 military discount plus the amount I negotiated off from the dealer. In August 2016 I picked up the 610 XC SE for $7649 "out the door," which at the time "stickered" for $9189 with destination.

The changes, which took place starting the 2017 model year, include the following:
1) LED Headlamps and Spotlamps on the XC-SE model. The 2016 lamps were the same as the other models, which is why I needed to add a light bar.
2) Fuel Gauge. The new one has a digital fuel gauge on the dash above the hour meter. The 2016 has a fuel gauge next to the fuel tank filler.
4) Front tubular bumper. This is a really nice bumper. The 2016 has a plastic bumper that looks good, but is not functional.
7) Integrated cargo rails in the bed. These will be nice. I put after market rails on the 2016.
8) The bottom of the cargo bed is now coated with stuff that looks like bed liner.

Other changes are primarily cosmetic. Once I have an opportunity to put the Mule to work, I'll do another post.

I didn't realize that they are that reasonably priced. After hearing the prices on the new Gators with the cab and air, I was really surprised when you posted the price you paid. I just might have to look into one of those......I run to various neighbors and on the 10 acres adjoining my lawn quite often and lately, I have been driving my tractor, sometimes even when it's just a social call........That would be handy, plus we have an additional 60 acres of nature area down along the river with the path's I have been mowing.............

Looks like a nice machine. I can't make sense of the $26k or more for the Deere Diesel with the cab and air for MY USE of the machine (certainly makes sense for those who really need and use them), but under $8k is a whole different league. Just need the new storage building to keep it in.........which is just a matter of me pulling the trigger. Just get a bigger building, I guess......Plus it doesn't look like it takes up much room. What is it, maybe 8 feet long and 5 feet wide?

Oh, oh.......I smell a new transaction and machine in someone's future....Last time he said that about his tractor, BINGO, the new 2025R appeared......:laugh::lol:

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Nice, real nice. I like it. :bigthumb:
Think how handy it would be hauling blocks for your culvert project. Or running down to the store to get more beer when working on the culvert project. Or even sitting in the shade of the canopy, while working on the culvert project......Or..............(endless list...):laugh::lol:

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Oh, oh.......I smell a new transaction and machine in someone's future....Last time he said that about his tractor, BINGO, the new 2025R appeared......:laugh::lol:
I doubt it, the mule is my wife's toy, and she is very happy with the one we have. But something to keep in mind for the future for sure. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't realize that they are that reasonably priced. After hearing the prices on the new Gators with the cab and air, I was really surprised when you posted the price you paid. I just might have to look into one of those......I run to various neighbors and on the 10 acres adjoining my lawn quite often and lately, I have been driving my tractor, sometimes even when it's just a social call........That would be handy, plus we have an additional 60 acres of nature area down along the river with the path's I have been mowing.............

For several years the major manufacturers SXS lines included utility models for under $10,000. Lately, the price point gone up several thousand dollars and it is difficult to find anything under $10K. If you don’t need the larger tires and fancy wheels and paint, the base model Mule SX 4x4 can be purchased for $7000. With negotiations and military discount, the out the door price for that model would have been $6750. The hardtop would add another $150.

This is a good time to buy a side-by-side. When talking to the sales manager, he said that demand goes up starting in September as Deerhunters begin thinking abou when talking to the sales manager, he said that demand goes up starting in September as Deerhunters begin trying to figuring out how to haul that 230” B&C buck out of the woods.

As an added value, the Kawasaki mule is the only major brand offer a three year for warranty. Many of the other brands are six months or one year. Too bad Kawasaki does not have a commission incentive, as I have influenced two neighbors to buy Mules, and both very happy with their purchases. Once you have had a side-by-side for the type of tasks you mention, you begin to wonder how you ever lived without one

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Very nice unit, 356.

My granddaughters are enjoying our Mule Rancher edition.
Our Phoenix granddaughter only has a few days left to enjoy before she goes back home on July 2nd.

We bought ours for utility and fun. :hi:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
Think how handy it would be hauling blocks for your culvert project. Or running down to the store to get more beer when working on the culvert project. Or even sitting in the shade of the canopy, while working on the culvert project......Or..............(endless list...):laugh::lol:
My wife took over ownership of ours. Just Sayin. :lol:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you don't need the fancy wheels and tires, top and LED lighting, the price I originally negotiated for the basic 4x4 model (Mule SX) was $6749 "out the door." This included the $250 military discount. A roof is available for about $150 if you want a shade.

Once you have a side by side, you wonder how you every got by without one. Truly one of the more useful tools (next to the John Deere Tractor, of course) on our properties. As an added bonus, the Mule's have a 3 year warranty, whereas most of the other brands are 6-12 months.

One thing I appreciate about GTT is our member's willingness to spend other people's :gizmo: That said, the new models are really nice. Still a very basic utility vehicle, but one that is a great value.

Today I ordered the jump seat and trailer hitch. The seat installs easily and comes out by pulling two pins, so it is not in the way. The grandkids LOVE it, and for under $100 it is a great deal. Seatbelts to keep them from falling out are included.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Comparing the 610 to the SX

With the original Mule heading to the cabin tomorrow, I thought I would take a picture of the two Mules together. This is likely the only time they will ever be together.

The 2016 is the Mule 610 4x4 XC SE. The 2018 is the Mule SX 4x4 XC SE. As noted earlier in the post, the differences are minor, but the improvements are such that I decided to keep the newer one at home, since it will see more use. Key improvements are the new bumper, raised rails for the bed, retractable seat-belts, LED inner and outer headlights. Mechanically the two are identical.

From the "learning curve" I chose to go with a rear view mirror instead of a side view mirror. Here in Missouri, we can take UTV's on county roads up to 3 miles from the farm, so it's nice to be able to see if traffic is behind you. The side view mirrors work great, but are not conducive to trees and branches. The overhead gun rack is a bad idea. It lowers the headroom, and your head will hit it would jostling on rough terrain.

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

IMG_4728.JPG
I added an LED light bar to the older unit...it really lights up the night!

I have the following add-ons for both units:
Trailer hitch with clamp on 2" receiver
Jump Seat for giving the grandkids rides (quick release--two pins in the bed)

The 2016 also has a power inverter to run an electric pole saw and winch for the trailer hitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 635962

View attachment 635964
Very nice wish my 2016 mule 610 had the upgrades but I bought a year early. Like that law green color too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts