Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I'm installing my 54" snowblower on my 1025 and lubing the mid shaft...WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F IS THIS GREASE FITTING FOR ON THE YOKE??

Look on the bottom, on the yoke...there is no slip yoke, nothing, it's in the yoke. the zerk for the u joint is right there on the right. ???

The "does nothing" zerk SEEMS to take grease...any ideas from the collective?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Maybe they have channeled the grease to some useful area? Seems like that would weaken the casting though. Maybe try unscrewing the fitting and take a small piece of wire like from a twist tie and try and probe the passage behind the fitting to see which way its is heading.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no clue...I just pumped some grease into it.

These joints are that strange type of cv joint with some kind of ball in the middle that limits the range of motion. it might have something to do with that?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The grease fitting on the yoke is internally ported to the center pivot section of the double cardan constant velocity joint.
As you know, this u-joint is a double cardan type constant velocity joint (double u-joint). The grease fittings that are on the actually u-joints grease the u-joint cross end cap bearings. The fitting that is on the yoke, greases the center section.

This is a vitally important grease point. It must be greased on a regular basis when used.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The grease fitting on the yoke is internally ported to the center pivot section of the double cardan constant velocity joint.
As you know, this u-joint is a double cardan type constant velocity joint (double u-joint). The grease fittings that are on the actually u-joints grease the u-joint cross end cap bearings. The fitting that is on the yoke, greases the center section.

This is a vitally important grease point. It must be greased on a regular basis when used.
Great info, thanks!

I did hit it with grease, there is the same thing on the short shaft on the snowblower. Again, I learn something new on this great forum.

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
Great info, thanks!

I did hit it with grease, there is the same thing on the short shaft on the snowblower. Again, I learn something new on this great forum.
Hmmm... my 54" blower doesn't have a fitting like this. Isn't the short drive shaft that is pinned to the blower the same for all tractors? Is this something that was added to new production runs?

The latest 54" blower manual doesn't mention these zerks either.

Reactions: TJR345 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Hmmm... my 54" blower doesn't have a fitting like this. Isn't the short drive shaft that is pinned to the blower the same for all tractors? Is this something that was added to new production runs?

The latest 54" blower manual doesn't mention these zerks either.
I don't think it is a blower issue. It is the drive shaft for the blower that you buy separately for your machine. I think it is tractor model specific for the 1 series. I have a driveshaft for my 2305 but I have never used it because the blower is always on my 2520. I now have to look at the 2305 blower drive shaft and see if mine has this zerk. I know it has the CV joint on it.

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
I don't think it is a blower issue. It is the drive shaft for the blower that you buy separately for your machine. I think it is tractor model specific for the 1 series. I have a driveshaft for my 2305 but I have never used it because the blower is always on my 2520. I now have to look at the 2305 blower drive shaft and see if mine has this zerk. I know it has the CV joint on it.
Interesting. Does anyone have a photo showing a clear view of the CV joint? It's hard to see any detail on the photo at the top of tis thread.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Interesting. Does anyone have a photo showing a clear view of the CV joint? It's hard to see any detail on the photo at the top of tis thread.
Another thought, is that this just maybe a new design. Here is the shaft diagram from JDParts for the 2305 and I can not see the said zerk.

shaft.jpg

Next stop, JDParts for a 1025 upstop pic.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
Next stop, JDParts for a 1025 upstop pic.
I already checked and didn't see a listing for the 1025R upstop kit. Only the 1023E, 1026R and 2-series. Maybe it is listed elsewhere and they didn't update the 54" blower parts list.

Reactions: BigJim55 and RandyM

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hear is the parts page for the snowblower short shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Learned another new thing, thanks, good to know!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry guys for the lousy picture, my phone camera just sucks, I'll see if I can get a better one later.

My unit was purchased in early 2015 if that tells anything, both CV joints on the shafts have this extra zerk on one yoke.

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hear is the parts page for the snowblower short shaft.
you can see the zerk in this picture, a top view of it, on the left yoke of the CV joint right near the ujoint zerk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I took a picture of the short drive shaft on my 54" quick hitch snow blower today. The CV joint has the same grease fitting in the yoke as the mid PTO drive shaft CV joint.
My 52" broom drive shaft also has this grease fitting in the yoke.

Attachments

Reactions: RandyM
1 - 18 of 18 Posts