Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back before Christmas, I asked about grinders. I bought the Cabela's 1/2 hp grinder. I've used it several times for grinding meat, but now I have used it for what I really wanted to try and that's make sausage. I've eaten a lot of sausage in my lifetime, so I believed that I was qualified to make it. :laugh: I decided to make bratwurst. I used my highly technical recipe selection process, which was using the first search result returned by Google. I wanted to focus on the technique. Btw, you really have to have two people to make this work (at least I had to). I cut the 70% pork shoulder/30% chuck into cubes Saturday evening. Last night, I started by grinding it all up.

If you've ever stuffed sausage, you now and if you haven't, trust me, there was a bunch of work that went on here, so no pictures this time. We ended up with these kinds of things.

It was a good bit of work, but fun times with Mrs. Bubber. I grilled some up for dinner tonight. When I brought it in, I cut a piece to get a little sample before I took after pics and before I knew it, this is what was left. :laugh: We just stood in the kitchen eating sausage.

It was really good. It is very mild recipe. What I was most impressed with was that its texture and consistency was as good as my local butcher. All in all, it was a lot of fun, which is why we do this kind of thing in the first place and we got some really good sausage out of it.

This weekend I'm going to grind up some meat and we are going to mix up and make several 1/4 lb batches to try different recipes. We won't stuff them, it'll just be a tasting exercise. If you made it this far, thanks for reading another of my adventures in my own personal education. :good2:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Just took a 3-550lbs pig in, getting a whole a$$load of ground. Can't wait for all of the sausage!!!!!
Btw, how did you tie those off?

·
Registered
583 Posts
^^^^Next Please!!!^^^^^

Looks good. We've done that a time or two. Eating straight off the grill before it gets to the table that is.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just took a 3-550lbs pig in, getting a whole a$$load of ground. Can't wait for all of the sausage!!!!!
Btw, how did you tie those off?
Just tied knots in each end and each link is twisted in the opposite direction. I snip them apart with scissors and they stay put. I wouldn't squeeze them, though. :)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
The title of your post sounds great! Almost like a song title from a Disney film. I wish I hadn't read it though; you have tweaked an interest in me that never existed before. I spend enough time as it is on the grill and the smoker...and I love brats...and now I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't try to make my own. I have a freezer, and am a sucker for meat sales and mark-downs...and I'm betting I can make a better breakfast sausage than Jimmy Dean. Oh, crap. How much of an investment is this going to take? :laugh:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Thanks for the post. What stuffer do you have, I don't see a picture? We bought the 20# stuffer from Cabela's and were very please. We made sausage from 50# of ground pork butts from a local butcher. I have a great recipe for Italian which is next on my list. :bbq:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good job on the sausage making.:good2:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Made me hungry, and I've already had supper! :bbq: :fed:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Don't tell your cardiologist you're making your own brats.... A big old greasy bacon double cheese burger is better for you!

My Grandpa used to get 50-60 pounds of pork ground every fall and him and I would make sausage with his sausage stuffer, it seemed 100 years old back then! He would smoke the sausage for a week or so, and a month after we stuffed the sausage we could take some home. Was great with pancakes or waffles!

MDREW - check out STODDARDS MEAT MARKET in Cottage Grove. I stopped in there one Saturday morning to get a pound or two of cheese brats and was informed a single person had bought over one HUNDRED POUNDS of them just a few minutes before, every cheese brat they had! I asked for the guys name and address but was told he paid cash! Stoddard's even make their own brat buns since their brats are a couple inches longer that the normal brat like Johnsonville.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The title of your post sounds great! Almost like a song title from a Disney film. I wish I hadn't read it though; you have tweaked an interest in me that never existed before. I spend enough time as it is on the grill and the smoker...and I love brats...and now I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't try to make my own. I have a freezer, and am a sucker for meat sales and mark-downs...and I'm betting I can make a better breakfast sausage than Jimmy Dean. Oh, crap. How much of an investment is this going to take? :laugh:
Haha... It's a rabbit hole, that's for sure. I'm not in it to save money, necessarily, it's more about making it myself really.

Thanks for the post. What stuffer do you have, I don't see a picture? We bought the 20# stuffer from Cabela's and were very please. We made sausage from 50# of ground pork butts from a local butcher. I have a great recipe for Italian which is next on my list. :bbq:
I used the grinder to stuff. It worked well, but I would not be able to stuff a sausage with cheese in it for example.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Haha... It's a rabbit hole, that's for sure. I'm not in it to save money, necessarily, it's more about making it myself really.

I used the grinder to stuff. It worked well, but I would not be able to stuff a sausage with cheese in it for example.
Nice, and it worked well!! We started with a couple that attach to a mixer. Toooo slow. 20# Cabelas stuffer could stuff faster than we could tie and add another casing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
This IS a rabbit hole, lol... Nice job on the brats :)

In the past week or so ive made 10lbs venny kielbasa, 20 regular, 10 smoked and 10 italian... My cardiologist needn't worry... I have too many friends once the grinder fires up, lol

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Nothing but sausage and eggs in the fridge; that's what statins were made for!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This IS a rabbit hole, lol... Nice job on the brats :)

In the past week or so ive made 10lbs venny kielbasa, 20 regular, 10 smoked and 10 italian... My cardiologist needn't worry... I have too many friends once the grinder fires up, lol
Thanks and Wow! That's a lot of great looking sausage. Would you be willing to share your recipes?

·
Registered
613 Posts
All ya'll are making me jealous. Starting to think we need to do a GTT Tractor Show and BBQ. Show off the cool toys and share the good eats.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
All ya'll are making me jealous. Starting to think we need to do a GTT Tractor Show and BBQ. Show off the cool toys and share the good eats.
I can sure cook them, boy! And what's the story on the casings? Where do you get them? What kind are available? Are they frozen, refrigerated, dehydrated, etc?

And yes! Let's see some good home proven recipes!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts