Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
17,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a lot of us have an interest in grooving our R4 tires for better winter traction but the $85 for a tire grooving tool that you’re going to use just once seems like kind of a steep price to pay.

Instead of a rental tool, we are going to provide a traveling tool for the community. The first guy buys the tool outright and does the work. Then the second guy paid the first guy $10 less than the original cost of the tool plus the cost of shipping from guy 1 to guy 2. Guy 2 knocks $10 off what he spent and sells it on to guy 3 (who also pays shipping). Basically, once the tool moves on, each guy has spent $10 plus the cost of shipping to get to use the tool. This way, if the tool breaks, someone loses it, someone steals it, UPS has an oops, etc no one guy is out the whole cost of the tool. Eventually, the tool is “paid off” and it travels around the country for just the cost of shipping from guy to guy. The cost of replacement blades will also have to be factored in. If you happen to be the guy that gets the groover and you notice it needs blades, order the blades, ship the groover with the new blades, and add it to the cost for the guy downstream minus your $10 use fee.

Rule #1, the most important rule,
There is an inherent risk in doing this, but by signing up you agree this could not always have the best outcome. As a member in good standing you will try to help out the next guy as best as you can within reason and within this setup. Please respect the other members here on the list and provide accurate information in this thread.

Rule #2,
DanW has volunteered to oversee this. At anytime there is a question or some confusion, please post to the thread here or contact him through a PM. :good2: Please remember to be respectful to others by not posting personal info here in the main forum. This is a volunteered deal on everyone's end.

Here’s how this works:

1) Sign up to get the tool on the list here, use the list to keep a running count of how much each person needs to pay.. To sign up you must have a minimum of 40 posts and you must be an active member. You must be accessible via PM while you have the groover. Copy the current list in your post and simply add your name to the end. You must also include a simple statement saying you agree to the terms in post #1 of this thread. This way we know you read this post and actually agree.

2) When the tool comes to you, do the work quickly as reasonably possible.

3) If the groover needs new blades, order new blades and add to the cost for the next guy minus your use. Include the new blades in the groover kit.

4) Contact the next guy on the list via PM to get his shipping info and tell him how much it’ll cost to ship from you to him. If you can't contact him after 2 weeks, move to the next guy down the list.

5) Accept payment from the next guy however you like.

6) Come back to this thread and post that you shipped it, what the destination city/state is, and what the tracking number is.

7) Repeat until everyone’s tires are grooved.

8) If you are the last person with the groover and the list seems exhausted, ship the groover back to DanW or dieselshadow for the next user.

9) Do not sign up unless you can follow these simple rules and guidelines. :hi:

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just ordered tire chains 3 minutes ago.:banghead: I wanted to groove my tires but figured I be better off spending the $300 on chains that I know will work instead of spending the $90 on a groover that might work. Since the groover program died I thought I had to shell out for the full cost.

What is that guy's name? Murphy... is it?

·
Administrator
17,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered tire chains 3 minutes ago.:banghead: I wanted to groove my tires but figured I be better off spending the $300 on chains that I know will work instead of spending the $90 on a groover that might work. Since the groover program died I thought I had to shell out for the full cost.

What is that guy's name? Murphy... is it?
Grooving your tires is still worth it IMHO, the added traction is amazing. Your chains will still be needed for the worst or the worst conditions, but the grooved tires will work great for the regular snowfalls.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Not so sure if I stepped up or everyone else just took a step back, but what the heck.

The good news is we're not starting with a new $85 tool. I bought this off jdforever earlier this year for $58, shipped. This includes 10 spare blades. There's no box but this way it fits into a Priority Mail medium flat rate box which I believe means $14.95 postage to anywhere (in the US?). I paid $58 shipped so the next person gets it for $48, shipped.

Who's next?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Grooving your tires is still worth it IMHO, the added traction is amazing. Your chains will still be needed for the worst or the worst conditions, but the grooved tires will work great for the regular snowfalls.
Do you only chain up when there is a large storm predicted? If so, why do you take them off? Once my chains go on in mid-November, there is no reason for me to take them off until April or so. I do not do much black top running and we dont have any conditions between that time that are not "the worst". The snow comes and stays for 4 months.

I do really like the look of the grooved tires. I think they look a lot more like some of the hybrid radials that are coming out lately. I might groove them anyway to help with steering traction. I will wait till the snow flies before committing. My ATV could use some grooves as well.

·
Administrator
17,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you only chain up when there is a large storm predicted? If so, why do you take them off? Once my chains go on in mid-November, there is no reason for me to take them off until April or so. I do not do much black top running and we dont have any conditions between that time that are not "the worst". The snow comes and stays for 4 months.

I do really like the look of the grooved tires. I think they look a lot more like some of the hybrid radials that are coming out lately. I might groove them anyway to help with steering traction. I will wait till the snow flies before committing. My ATV could use some grooves as well.
My driveway, as well as the several other driveways I do for elderly people in the neighborhood are all paved so I limit chain use as much as possible. If they where all gravel, I’d leave them on just like you.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Not so sure if I stepped up or everyone else just took a step back, but what the heck.

The good news is we're not starting with a new $85 tool. I bought this off jdforever earlier this year for $58, shipped. This includes 10 spare blades. There's no box but this way it fits into a Priority Mail medium flat rate box which I believe means $14.95 postage to anywhere (in the US?). I paid $58 shipped so the next person gets it for $48, shipped.

Who's next?
Hey DanW,

It's been a while, so my memory might be failing me. I'm almost positive I shipped it to you in a small USPS flat rate box. That is why I didn't include the original box, so it would fit. I believe $7.90 is the current rate.

For any of you guys or gals contemplating siping your tires, it adds a tremendous amount of additional traction. Well worth the cost, especially thru this program.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey DanW,

It's been a while, so my memory might be failing me. I'm almost positive I shipped it to you in a small USPS flat rate box. That is why I didn't include the original box, so it would fit. I believe $7.90 is the current rate.

For any of you guys or gals contemplating siping your tires, it adds a tremendous amount of additional traction. Well worth the cost, especially thru this program.:thumbup1gif:
You're right on both counts. It has been a while and I just tried the small box and you're right, it does fit (barely). Thanks and I'm sure everyone will appreciate the lower shipping.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree to the terms in post #1. Although I do not know how to be accessible on PM. Does GTT email me when someone sends me a PM? I do agree to check back here often. I need something to do while at work.

The list:

1. rjm240

·
Administrator
20,477 Posts
You need to check your profile settings to see if you have it setup to get emails or notifications from PMs.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree to the terms in post #1. Although I do not know how to be accessible on PM. Does GTT email me when someone sends me a PM? I do agree to check back here often. I need something to do while at work.

The list:

1. rjm240
PM Sent

·
Registered
662 Posts
Grooving tool is currently in transit to rjm240.

Price to the next person that wants to use it will be $38.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey DanW,

Just for clarification, ignore the link in my previous post regarding the box to use. The Priority Mail Box - 1096L is the box the grooving tool will fit in and only cost $7.90 postage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
groovy

did I miss something:dunno: or where do I sign up?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
did I miss something:dunno: or where do I sign up?
Copy and paste post #10 to a new "reply to thread" and then add your name before submitting the post.

·
Registered
80 Posts
agree to the terms in post #1. I do agree to check back here often.
The list:

1. rjm240
2. ateasegardens

·
Registered
72 Posts
Haha, just had a funny thought. We could make a map like they do for money on wheresgeorge.com?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I plugged in the groover at 6:50 tonight. I unplugged it at 8:10. I sat down to start this post at 8:26.

I went with the "classic" groove style. It takes between 12-15 seconds per groove. I started with a winter coat on and ended in a t shirt. It takes some muscle. Lifting the handle a bit to get the tip to warm the rubber first helps but it sacrifices some depth. I used a floor jack to help turn the tires. Wear some big gloves I had a tendency to try and grab the hot part several times. The smell was less than I thought and I didn't even bother cleaning my tires before grooving.

It takes 15 minutes to warm up. Plan ahead.

I left the knife at the depth it was set at I could go shallower by holding the knife at different angles. Cutting full depth was slow. I didn't even bother taking the loader off. I took the box blade off but I am not sure I needed to.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I plugged in the groover at 6:50 tonight. I unplugged it at 8:10. I sat down to start this post at 8:26.

I went with the "classic" groove style. It takes between 12-15 seconds per groove. I started with a winter coat on and ended in a t shirt. It takes some muscle. Lifting the handle a bit to get the tip to warm the rubber first helps but it sacrifices some depth. I used a floor jack to help turn the tires. Wear some big gloves I had a tendency to try and grab the hot part several times. The smell was less than I thought and I didn't even bother cleaning my tires before grooving.

It takes 15 minutes to warm up. Plan ahead.

I left the knife at the depth it was set at I could go shallower by holding the knife at different angles. Cutting full depth was slow. I didn't even bother taking the loader off. I took the box blade off but I am not sure I needed to.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sweet!

When you are done, send a PM to ateasegardens or DanW.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts