Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice! That's one thing I learned the first year I had mine...Do it before the weather starts getting cold...It's more comfortable to physically work when it's colder but once it's below 20F tires start getting reaaaaallly hard.:banghead: Then it takes much longer than than it should.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry for double reply....Also try to keep the tip pointing up when you aren't using it, I usually clamp mine in my vise when heating up, taking a break or switching tires/positions:bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I noticed many of the tire grooving tools are sold with multiple "tips" and 10 cutting blades. I noticed in the thread, the loaner groover ships with the tip and spare blades. Does the grooving of the tractor tires wear through the blades very quickly?

Also, noticed there is a "Non Heated" version of the tire groover sold on Amazon. How the heck does that work, with Armstrong Strength?

Amazon.com: Econ-O-Siper Tire Siper: Automotive

I was watching "Diesel Tractor and Truck Pulling, presented by Lucas Oils" this past weekend on 159 on DISH (NBC SN, I think) and the guy who ended up winning in the one modified truck class talked about spending all week "sharpening his tires".......they showed a brief look at the tires and it looked like he cut the tires to create sharp edges on the raised traction part of the tire, not that I am getting into Super Modified Truck pulling...........

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am no expert as I have only plugged the tool in once. I used the blade that was installed on the tool the whole time. I don't see how it would get dull as it is melting the rubber as much as it is cutting it. I do think the failure mode of the blade is breakage. You do have to push on them with some force and eventually that could fatigue the blade and break it.

I have the tool ready to ship to whoever is #3. I PM'd the person in #2 position and he cannot use the tool right now.

-Ryan

·
Registered
65 Posts
... Also, noticed there is a "Non Heated" version of the tire groover sold on Amazon. How the heck does that work, with Armstrong Strength?
Amazon.com: Econ-O-Siper Tire Siper: Automotive
Yeah siping wouldn't be too bad...grooving no way, unless it was a really soft tread or very small groove. Maybe dirt bikes or something?

they showed a brief look at the tires and it looked like he cut the tires to create sharp edges on the raised traction part of the tire, not that I am getting into Super Modified Truck pulling...
I've read a lot of dirt bikes or similar offroad racing groups use the same technique, if a paddle or knob gets rounded off from rocks, etc, they'll resharpen the lugs.

I noticed many of the tire grooving tools are sold with multiple "tips" and 10 cutting blades. I noticed in the thread, the loaner groover ships with the tip and spare blades. Does the grooving of the tractor tires wear through the blades very quickly?
I am no expert as I have only plugged the tool in once. I used the blade that was installed on the tool the whole time. I don't see how it would get dull as it is melting the rubber as much as it is cutting it. I do think the failure mode of the blade is breakage. You do have to push on them with some force and eventually that could fatigue the blade and break it...
The biggest thing I've found is on dirty tires/car tires. Little chunks of gravel get in the sipes and the blades nick them and either dull or bend or both. If you're grooving, the blade is pretty sturdy but if you have it flipped and you're siping then they don't have much support. They'll even start to turn colors from the heat cycling, and I bet that messes with the heat treating/tempering. Grooving mostly clean tires the blades should last a loooooooong time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Observation after grooving

We got a dusting of snow this weekend. I went onto my driveway and tried to skid my way around and see if I could spin the tires at all. I cant do any sort of comparison as my tires have always been grooved but they did have good traction. I tried going fast and breaking and i even tried to use the split breaks to drag a tire. I couldn't do much, there was just too much traction.

I was moving some leaves around with my loader and had to drive across my driveway after driving across the wet/snowy lawn. When the snow melted and tried later in the day you cold see all the little mud worms where the grooves were. The grooves picked up mud from the wet lawn and then deposited it on the driveway in neat organized tread marks. I am guessing it will only be a problem this time of year during the transition phases but i know others have mentioned that the grooves will bring more mud into the parking spot. I can vouch for that, they will. I didn't get a photo.

I still have the groover for whoever wants to be next on the list. It is in my truck and ready to ship. I bring it with me every day thinking someone will jump in soon.

·
Administrator
17,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
agree to the terms in post #1. I do agree to check back here often.
The list:

1. rjm240
2. ateasegardens
W

I still have the groover for whoever wants to be next on the list. It is in my truck and ready to ship. I bring it with me every day thinking someone will jump in soon.
Did you PM the next guy?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did you PM the next guy?
Yes, I should have clarified. I PMed ateasegardens and he did not want me to send it and wants to have his name removed from the list for a while.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Did you PM the next guy?
Sorry I guess I should have updated the thread. (fire me? :))

I had checked with Ryan, aka rjm240, just the other day and found ateasegardens had something come up and Ryan was still holding the grooving tool waiting for the next participant. Since there wasn't anybody next on the list I figured we'd just wait until the next person expressed interest.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sorry I guess I should have updated the thread. (fire me? :))

I had checked with Ryan, aka rjm240, just the other day and found ateasegardens had something come up and Ryan was still holding the grooving tool waiting for the next participant. Since there wasn't anybody next on the list I figured we'd just wait until the next person expressed interest.
Someone will eventually come aboard. If not, rjm240 can always try selling it to anyone interested in owning their own tool. After all, thats what you did by purchasing it from me.

Good luck! :good2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll keep it around until the next person comes along.

I have some other tires that could be grooved in the mean time. I cut my zero turn tires with a skill saw last spring. It made a ton of difference but was pretty sloppy. I could use the groover to clean up those cuts a bit. ZTR tire groove.jpg

I also filled the tires with WWF while I was at it. No more slipping with the ZTR.

Also, My ATV tires are getting a bit rounded. I may try the groover to make some sharper edges. Apparently that is what the dirt bike guys are doing with the groovers. It can't hurt, is the way I look at it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am new to the forum but wold like the groover, is the 40 post minimum an absolute requirement?

Here is my 1025R TLB w/MMM, forks, tiller, and quickhitch.
Okay with me. It's not like there's a huge waiting list of 40+ posters waiting to use it. Why don't you PM rjm240 and verify he's done with it. If so, the fee to him is $38. The next person that wants to use it will send you $28.

Let me know when you take possession.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am new to the forum but wold like the groover, is the 40 post minimum an absolute requirement?

Here is my 1025R TLB w/MMM, forks, tiller, and quickhitch.
PS. Since that was your first post...

:wgtt:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am done with the groover and sent a PM. I even grooved my ATV tires while I was at it. I dont have a blower for my tractor yet so I use the ATV to plow. I dont know if made much of a difference on the ATV but it seems like it may have. It did a lot of slipping last year but we dont have too much Ice yet. hard to say.

I was outside doing loader work with the 2025r last night. It was -8F so traction was not a problem. I still havent put the chains on and I dont think I will need them. I may have bought them premature. The grooved R4's have plenty of traction for what I need them for.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Has anyone tried cutting the R4 lugs crossways at an angle to make blocks similar to the new hybrid R3 radial tires?

·
Registered
6 Posts
About 10 years ago when I got my JD GT235 lawn tractor with front mounted snowblower, I found it to slip/get stuck often if there was any hint of ice under the snow. Didn’t want chains on pavement, plus the bumpy ride, so I bought a 100 pack of these studs from a Swedish company and installed 50 in each rear tire. Solved 90% of the problem, pretty good considering the GT doesn’t have a locking diff. They don’t mark up the driveway since they hardly protrude from the tire block face. And after all these years, have not lost a single one.

I just got a 1025R with blade to replace the GT, and I figure I won’t need any traction enhancers since it’s 4 wheel drive with a locking diff. But if I do find that there are traction issues in icy conditions, I’m gonna’ go the same route of 50 screws per rear tire (and maybe some for the front).

There are other brands of ice screws out there, but I know these work great. If you do get some make sure they are shorter than the tire block!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts