Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my X590 this past Wednesday:
1.Goes into Safe mode/possible low oil pressure:
- Started to mow right after they dropped it off, about 5 minutes it went into safe mode=engine RPM to idle, Amber light on, nothing else.
Read the book, checked the oil level, visual on everything looked OK.
- I found the Shovel electrical connector had been run over/pulled off by the front tire. Poor design but I'll take the blame.
- It was zip-tied to other wiring under the hood including engine harness. No obvious damage or loose connection, re-did the wiring.
- Over the next few days it happened maybe 5 more times and the last time yesterday I saw the oil light flicker.
- I checked the oil level again=good
- I removed the pressure switch and tested it with a fluke, cycled it 4 times to 60psi and it opened at 14psi every time.
Parked it and plan to call the dealer Tuesday.
The troubleshooter in me want to connect a pressure gage to the sending unit port and see what oil pressure is at different RPM. But's brand new!
2. The Power sleeve hitch arm blocks access to level the deck:
- The arm that stays on the machine is right on top of the left deck leveler bolt.
- the instructions for <=2015 say to install the bar inside the deck lift bracket, >2015 install outside the bracket= bad plan.
Mr. Fix-it in me would pull the body and see if it could be installed like the <2015 but might need different bushings that the dealer has/had with the hitch.
3. The bagger mount won't work with the power hitch. I will end up fixing this by modifying the bagger mount. But should I have to?

Just disappointed, 2.9 hours, the safe mode possible low oil pressure condition is really dis-concerning.
The last thing I want is a new machine with either an electrical Gremlin or a borderline low oil pressure condition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently purchased a new 2017 x590 and I've been very happy with it for my needs. That being said, if it was not working properly, I would waste no time in contacting the dealership to address the issues. You should have the dealer check it out. You spent too much money to experience these issues on a new tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Amen call the dealer right away. John deere does have a return policy if you aren't happy. You spend too much not to be happy. Keep us informed...

·
Registered
14 Posts
...i'm a new owner as well, and had some issues to. brand new secondary belt on 54a deck started to seperate on the outer side layer. can't get deck level in front no matter how much i adjust the draft rod. i'll get the rt side perfect, but the left side will be to high and will not drop down anymore. it appears to me the draft rod is slightly bent or the hole on the bracket is slightly undersized as it's very stiff on the rt side and the left has just a bit of movement. it's like it's binding somewhere. all with a whopping 5hrs on it. i hate to say it, but i feel some of these factory workers or the qa group just don't give a hoot and are there to collect a paycheck at the end of the work week. i guess when i hear the name john deere i think of a quality machine whether it's a x590 or 8400r to be problem free. or let's say not have issues right out of the gate. yes i know use the warranty that's what it's there for. totally agree. but i don't have a trailer so every time to bring the machine in would be 60 bux min for all expenses. so to me a 70 belt or a 40 dollar draft rod kit isn't enough for me to bring it in. i'm sure Deere's knows this and people will bring it in for more of a major issue like the OP.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If it's any consolation, my first X540 was a COMPLETE lemon. Within the first 30 days, Deere took it back and ordered a replacement. Aside from a couple of very minor issues, it's been trouble-free for several years. Try to be patient (difficult when you spend this much money), work with your dealer and Deere will make it right if these problems continue.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hate to point out another problem but I'm curious about weather JD ever fixed this since making my X540 in 2014. Whenever I'm using my tractor I tilt the seat up after getting off. After putting the seat back up. I noticed a dent in the yellow soft part. This dent was on the right side and on the very front. The metal seat adjustment lever was poking the seat. Figured it would only be a matter of time before it made a hole in it. I contacted the local dealer that told me that they are all that way. He then contacted JD on my behalf. Never did get any type of answer.

Being anal I just couldn't live with it one more day so I fixed it. Took a deep socket that was just big enough to fit over the end of the round adjustment lever. Then add a 6" extension to the socket. For something to pry against I wrapped up a piece of wood with a cloth. Put the wood between the lever and the fender deck. Then bent the rod down slightly with the socket/extension. Had plenty of room so that the lever wouldn't hit either the seat or the fender deck. Been fine ever since.

Forgot that I had pictures of the problem. They are the ones that I emailed to my local dealer. You can see the lever poking the seat. The top picture is the dent after a short period of time. This would have definitely made a hole before long.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it's any consolation, my first X540 was a COMPLETE lemon. Within the first 30 days, Deere took it back and ordered a replacement. Aside from a couple of very minor issues, it's been trouble-free for several years. Try to be patient (difficult when you spend this much money), work with your dealer and Deere will make it right if these problems continue.
Hi Rod -

I am curious what issues you experienced with the original x540 that was replaced. Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Rod -

I am curious what issues you experienced with the original x540 that was replaced. Thanks!
Here are some of the most significant issues that occurred with less than 5 hours on the clock.
1) Deck was IMPOSSIBLE to level, horrible scalping on even the slighted slope despite repeated attempts to remedy by the dealer and myself (countless hours wasted on this)
2) Very difficult starting, sometimes refused to start altogether
3) Intermittent issues with raising / lowering deck
4) Intermittent issues with PTO engaging
5) Shredded deck belt
6) Belt to PowerFlow vacuum deeply rubbing in two areas (cut side of PowerFlow)
7) Rear bagger frame locking arm dug into right rear tire (would not properly remain in position)

Thanks for making me relive those memories.....:lol:

The only irritating issues with my replacement x540 is excessive front tire wear on the outer edges. Also, the ignition module failed about a week after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here are some of the most significant issues that occurred with less than 5 hours on the clock.
1) Deck was IMPOSSIBLE to level, horrible scalping on even the slighted slope despite repeated attempts to remedy by the dealer and myself (countless hours wasted on this)
2) Very difficult starting, sometimes refused to start altogether
3) Intermittent issues with raising / lowering deck
4) Intermittent issues with PTO engaging
5) Shredded deck belt
6) Belt to PowerFlow vacuum deeply rubbing in two areas (cut side of PowerFlow)
7) Rear bagger frame locking arm dug into right rear tire (would not properly remain in position)

Thanks for making me relive those memories.....:lol:

The only irritating issues with my replacement x540 is excessive front tire wear on the outer edges. Also, the ignition module failed about a week after the warranty expired.
Wore the front tires out on my X540 in about 100 hours. However I did drive it a lot on pavement. The outside edge was bald but the whole tire was worn out. Put on a set of Indonesia's finest turf tires with the standard block tread. Almost at 200 hours and they are holding up fine. I think the stock tires were made out of soft rubber.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sent an email this morning to Matt at DH Marvin.
Matt wanted to come and pick it up right away but I had to work till 4 and he had an appointment later in the day.
He will be here tomorrow morning to haul it back to their place to check it out.

My experience with Matt and DH Marvin has been outstanding so far.

The Power Sleeve hitch bar blocking the deck adjustment might be a design issue, we will see.
I'll keep everyone up to date.

And wouldn't you know it my Agri-Fab "Rock Rake" came in today at Lowes!

·
Registered
122 Posts
...i'm a new owner as well, and had some issues to. brand new secondary belt on 54a deck started to seperate on the outer side layer. can't get deck level in front no matter how much i adjust the draft rod. i'll get the rt side perfect, but the left side will be to high and will not drop down anymore. it appears to me the draft rod is slightly bent or the hole on the bracket is slightly undersized as it's very stiff on the rt side and the left has just a bit of movement. it's like it's binding somewhere. all with a whopping 5hrs on it. i hate to say it, but i feel some of these factory workers or the qa group just don't give a hoot and are there to collect a paycheck at the end of the work week. i guess when i hear the name john deere i think of a quality machine whether it's a x590 or 8400r to be problem free. or let's say not have issues right out of the gate. yes i know use the warranty that's what it's there for. totally agree. but i don't have a trailer so every time to bring the machine in would be 60 bux min for all expenses. so to me a 70 belt or a 40 dollar draft rod kit isn't enough for me to bring it in. i'm sure Deere's knows this and people will bring it in for more of a major issue like the OP.
They should pick up your machine at no cost to you. The one time I had some warranty work done on my X590-they picked it up and dropped it off and no cost(I do have a trailer). I'm pretty sure that should be included.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
They should pick up your machine at no cost to you. The one time I had some warranty work done on my X590-they picked it up and dropped it off and no cost(I do have a trailer). I'm pretty sure that should be included.
John Deere does not cover transport costs as part of the warranty. Individual dealers might, but JD corporate will not reimburse the dealership for transport costs. Most dealers do not cover pickup and delivery under warranty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
John Deere does not cover transport costs as part of the warranty. Individual dealers might, but JD corporate will not reimburse the dealership for transport costs. Most dealers do not cover pickup and delivery under warranty.
Interesting. Must just be the dealers around here. I know my in-laws have multiple JD tractors that have been picked up(ag tractors and X700 X540) and they never charge or hesitate to pick-up and bring them back.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Interesting. Must just be the dealers around here. I know my in-laws have multiple JD tractors that have been picked up(ag tractors and X700 X540) and they never charge or hesitate to pick-up and bring them back.

Pretty much all manufacturers require you to bring the piece of equipment in for warranty work. You are also responsible for the bill unit the dealer determines that the needed repairs are covered. Few people know about the first statement. Even less know about the second.

This is why the customer/dealer relationship is so important.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pretty much all manufacturers require you to bring the piece of equipment in for warranty work. You are also responsible for the bill unit the dealer determines that the needed repairs are covered. Few people know about the first statement. Even less know about the second.

This is why the customer/dealer relationship is so important.
True story. We have pretty good dealers around here. I just wish John Deere would update their buying program to include siblings of John Deere employees for the discounts! They allow parents and in-laws, but not siblings. That would've been another $1250 off for me since my brother works at John Deere. Oh well, % APR and good dealer's are great!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Matt from DH Marvin and son picked up the 590;
- Replaced the shovel connector
- checked for code=none
- road it for 2 hours, nothing
- redid the power hitch bar and now I can adjust deck leveler

He gave me a choice to get it back, same day, or he would keep it and test more.

Absolutely no charge.
Mower the grass and did a little "rock Rake" work=no troubles.

So now I'm going to just use it.
Matt said if it happens again he will come get it free of charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Matt from DH Marvin and son picked up the 590;
- Replaced the shovel connector
- checked for code=none
- road it for 2 hours, nothing
- redid the power hitch bar and now I can adjust deck leveler

He gave me a choice to get it back, same day, or he would keep it and test more.

Absolutely no charge.
Mower the grass and did a little "rock Rake" work=no troubles.

So now I'm going to just use it.
Matt said if it happens again he will come get it free of charge.
Good to hear! It sounds like you have a good dealer and resolution to your issues. Good luck moving forward.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts