Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometime during this cold, long, lonely winter I'm going to fab up the Ballast Box to end all BB's. So far the features I'm planning are:

Angle Iron Frame with 1/4 or 3/16 metal walls

Filled with Portland

Box large enough to properly ballast my H310 Loader - I'm thinking 2000-2500lbs.

Caster wheels x4 to move it around when off.

Tubes/Pipes on the side for shovels, etc

2-5/16 gooseneck ball up high

2" bumper pull ball down low, but offset so that I can see it when backing up to trailer.

Anyone have any other things they'd put on there perfect multitasking ballast box??

-J.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
wow...
but a few things
fridge for beverages
stereo
chair and sun shade for breaks to enjoy above:lol:

perhaps a square box type indent in top for chains or other non round type items
Kens bolt on hooks??

sounds like a great project. enjoy the build oh yeah green paint, yellow flames.....(OK I am getting carried away, sorry)

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the flames idea...... I'm doing it.

Are you thinking a tray type thing for chains?

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yes exactly

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'd like 2 drop in "pins" in each rear corner that would engage the handles of my large wheeled trash and recycling containers please!

Reactions: Levi

·
Administrator
20,986 Posts
....enjoy the build oh yeah green paint, yellow flames.....(OK I am getting carried away, sorry)
Hey, I patented that idea.....:lol:

Jer, go for it, flames and all. I can't wait to see it.:thumbup1gif: Maybe have a fitted lid over the portland for a better finished look?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fire extinquisher? First aid kit? IDK.

I guess you mean a 2" receiver, sounds like you have it all planned. I was gonna say hard rifle case, but that needs to be closer to the loader arm. I so want to do that on mine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A tool box with seperate compartments and a lid to keep the rain off of the chains. A place for chains, pins, clevis etc. Chainsaw holder.

Depends on what you all need to take with and have available. We cut a lot of wood so probably a grab hook for a chain to skid logs.

Reactions: bhill and Levi

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I kicked around this very project idea for a while but other things came up.

My frame was going to be 6x3x3/8" angle around a pre-made box with 3/16" thick sides. The lower hitch pins need to be supported on both sides. I planned to put two pieces of channel on the bottom so the box could be picked up by a forklift if needed and fill the box with steel. I wanted the box to be as compact as possible, yet still heavy enough to work on the 5320. The physical dimensions of my box were just a little smaller than a small JD ballast box, but weighed about 1,800 lbs without any frame or supporting structure.

Trailer hitches are a good idea, chain storage is good too. It's really hard to go wrong with storage in general. :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All great ideas!!!

Added to CAD drawings:

Rifle storage (zombie rifle, of course)
Chainsaw holder
Tray and tray cover
Pole, for "dancing"
Flames (not for dancing)
Fire extinguisher next to flames - oh the irony....
Hooks

How about a tube for a telescoping flag pole? Hmmm???

I like the pin storage idea, but those live in my tractor toolbox cause they always need to be there....

Who am I kidding.... I can't CAD....where's that damn pencil???

Hahahha

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
Who am I kidding.... I can't CAD....where's that damn pencil???

Hahahha
I call it MAN-CAD, MAN being for Manual :laugh: I'll take my .09 mechanical pencil and graph paper any day over trying to draw on the computer.

Reactions: Levi and mjncad

·
Registered
967 Posts
My thought rather than add this or incorporate something or another is to, remove lets say 2" from the Depth of the box. The height and width seem fine. Most people don't actually load up their loader to max capacity requiring all the ballast. Shortening the box would help in numerous ways. I know the length helps in the leverage......Bla, Bla, Bla.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thought rather than add this or incorporate something or another is to, remove lets say 2" from the Depth of the box. The height and width seem fine. Most people don't actually load up their loader to max capacity requiring all the ballast. Shortening the box would help in numerous ways. I know the length helps in the leverage......Bla, Bla, Bla.
.....I'm listening.... how does it help?? Do you find it too long out the back??

I was actually thinking this AM that I may intentionally make it deeper. I have my own personal reason - my somewhat new dump trailer has a deckover on it, and it is threateningly close to the back of the cab on my 5075, so I want to push it back.

Kenny, shall be do a group buy on our MANCAD tools??

-J.

·
Registered
967 Posts
.....I'm listening.... how does it help?? Do you find it too long out the back??

I was actually thinking this AM that I may intentionally make it deeper. I have my own personal reason - my somewhat new dump trailer has a deckover on it, and it is threateningly close to the back of the cab on my 5075, so I want to push it back.

Kenny, shall be do a group buy on our MANCAD tools??

-J.
Yes, I feel they are much too long and when it's coupled to an IMatch, Quick Hitch, it's extended out another 3"s. HeavyHitch seems to have it right. Eliminate the box and incorporate JD Suitcase Weights and the extra OA length. I'm toying with the idea of just shaving off 2-3"s off the depth and work from there.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I feel they are much too long and when it's coupled to an IMatch, Quick Hitch, it's extended out another 3"s. HeavyHitch seems to have it right. Eliminate the box and incorporate JD Suitcase Weights and the extra OA length. I'm toying with the idea of just shaving off 2-3"s off the depth and work from there.
Ah, I see what you're saying.

I have a Pat's quick hitch sitting and waiting for install, so my things are getting even farther out there..... I may have to get a long toplink now..... booooo.

I too would prefer the suitcase weights, but it really p!sses me off to pay that much money for blocks of cast iron - and to get to 2000lbs+, I'd need A LOT!!! I don't often use my loader to full capacity, but I've come close (bundles of 6" posts, 2 round bales, a "healthy" neighbor, etc) and I want to be prepared for a big lift when needed.

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Make a cart for the ballast-box, and don't put casters on the box as they'll just dig in to the dirt eventually. Everything else sounds practical.

Also known as HandCAD.
I prefer MAN-CAD, helps with my self esteem. Hand-CAD sounds like I'm just lonely.

-J.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would like to have a small and dense ballast box, as I am storage space challenaged. I started collecting wheel weights from local tire shops, scrap lead prices or free. I dreamed of melting the lead down into bricks so that it could be removed if needed. Using lead would also allow me have more space in box for storage. I typically hang my suitcase weights inside the box for storage and extra weight.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I would like to have a small and dense ballast box, as I am storage space challenaged. I started collecting wheel weights from local tire shops, scrap lead prices or free. I dreamed of melting the lead down into bricks so that it could be removed if needed. Using lead would also allow me have more space in box for storage. I typically hang my suitcase weights inside the box for storage and extra weight.
You should call your BB "The Neutron Star".......

There are youtube vids of dudes doing backyard smelting and pouring in homemade, simple, furnaces - I bet you could to that if you wanted.

Space is not an issue for me - well, outside space at least - so Portland is the way I'll be going.

-J.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts