Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most of you know, a while back I fought a rattle under the dash of my 2006 Chevy 2500HD.

At one point I had the complete dash removed, trying to located the source of the rattle. After much digging around, I finally came to the conclusion that the rattle was coming from the steering column area. I found the upper steering column bushing had some movement/play, along with the Shift Lever Locking Switch. For the upper steering column bushing, I slide it down from the outer steering housing a bit, then applied a layer of Butyl Putty and slide it back into it's location. As for the Shift Lever Locking Switch, I placed a section of closed-cell foam between the switch and upper steering column housing.
:good2: All was find,..............so I thought. :banghead:

After traveling back and forth to mom's house on a very rough Federal Highway(US190), to tend to her needs(during her hospital stay), the rattle reappears with a vengeance. Well, by the time last Thursday came around, I couldn't take it anymore.
I did some investigations utilizing the inter-web and ran across a few post of Chevrolet "Clunking/Rattling" noises coming from under the dash/steering column area. I read with interest and came to the conclusion, this has to be what's causing my truck's rattle. So last week I ordered the parts need, and they arrived yesterday.

Being I needed to replace the #4 engine Glow-Plug, which was located directly in-line with the lower and intermediate steering shaft coupling, I figured I'd knock out two repairs at the same time.

Prior to removing the steering shaft, I secured the steering wheel, as to not damage the Clocking Spring.

Intermediate steering shaft removed for easy access to #4 glow plug.

New type upper steering column bearing and intermediate steering shaft.

Original style steering column bushing on left. New style steering column bearing on right(this one had an actual ball-bearing set, instead of a bushing insert).

Original style upper steering column bushing.

New upper steering column bearing, along with new intermediate steering shaft installed.

New #4 glow plug installed along with new intermediate steering shaft.

Once everything was put back into it's proper location, I took the truck for a ride.

:yahoo:It's quiet again. No rattling/clunking. :good2:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The reason for the intermediate shaft replacement, the shaft is made to slide in and out during twist and turns of the vehicle. Over time, the intermediate shaft becomes stuck/seized, preventing it from moving in and out. When the shaft cannot move in and out, it put excessive pressure on the upper steering column bushing, causing premature wear. The one I removed was seized.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I had a 2003 that started it about 2 years into owning it. It was still rattling when I traded it in. Good job though.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
And he killed two birds with one stone! :good2:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,406 Posts
Slick work there FW! :good2:

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Hope that cures your rattle. Nice job getting at the glow plug at the same time.

I was kind of amazed but not really I guess to see the steering column and associated areas so free from rust. I had to have the intermediate steering column replaced on my truck because the one U-joint had seized from......rust.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope that cures your rattle. Nice job getting at the glow plug at the same time.
:thumbup1gif: I went to town twice today and purposely took a couple bad/bumpy roads for a test, with the radio off. I didn't hear a sound. :good2:

I was kind of amazed but not really I guess to see the steering column and associated areas so free from rust. I had to have the intermediate steering column replaced on my truck because the one U-joint had seized from......rust.
The previous owner took very good care of this truck. Also, in cold weather, road-salt is not used down here. If the bridges begin to ice-over, they apply sand.

There is absolutely no sign of this truck ever being driven in the mud. That's unusual for a 4X4 in these parts. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
There is absolutely no sign of this truck ever being driven in the mud.
Look between the box and cab, Dad caught me on that one once.:laugh:

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look between the box and cab, Dad caught me on that one once.:laugh:
Looked there, and everywhere else.
Before buying it, I got on my back looked underneath. Then I got them to drive it on the lift, so I could get a better look.
:good2:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Nice job on the repair. I always take out the inner fender liners when replacing the glow plugs on my 2007.5 3500. Makes things way easier when doing anything in the engine bay that is on the sides of the engine from my experience. GM went cheap on certain components during those years so I am not surprised your rattle was from the bushings in the steering shaft. I have discovered other budget cutting parts on my truck through the years. I am the original owner so it's been an 11 year discovery learning process!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Nice job FW.:good2:
My '02 started clunking at about 30K. Had it replaced under warranty. It started again but i've learned to deal with it. :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts