Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question... but anyone else notice the difference in smells of Diesel exhaust from different oil? I just swithced from the stock JD plus 50 oil to Rotella T6 synthetic. It smells much different when exhausted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Any chance your fuel is a winter blend or was treated and that could be part of the difference in what you are smelling? I have never noticed any smell I would relate to the engine oil, as the amount which is burned is extremely small.........in the normal combustion process (at least is should be). But I suppose it is possible as the synthetic engine oil itself smells differently than normal dino oil......

Reactions: DanW and DRobinson

·
Premium Member
13,551 Posts
Probably a stupid question... but anyone else notice the difference in smells of Diesel exhaust from different oil? I just swithced from the stock JD plus 50 oil to Rotella T6 synthetic. It smells much different when exhausted.
I would think an engine would need to be consuming and combusting a LOT of engine oil for it to change the odor of the exhaust.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Maybe you are right and that its the winter diesel. I just noticed the smell difference when i changed the oil a few weeks ago. Thought it was odd.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
23,496 Posts
Fuel treatment can give a distinctive smell. I know I can smell it in both my tractor and my wife’s car when I use Stanadyne.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Fuel treatment can give a distinctive smell. I know I can smell it in both my tractor and my wife’s car when I use Stanadyne.
Same here. I run Stanadyne Performance year round in the VW and the 2025, and if I ever miss a dose in the VW, I can tell just by the smell of the exhaust!

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn’t treat my fuel at all though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Timmy,

It very well could be in how they treat the fuel before you buy it. You can notice a strong bite in the smell of diesel fuel in the winter and early spring at a truck stop where you have a lot of trucks idling.

Dave

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Bio diesel can also have a different smell.

A friend used to make and burn his own biodiesel in a Mercedes. It was made from used cooking oil and he used 100% bio. At times you would have thought he was doing french fries. . .

It's not nearly as noticeable with the low percentage blends.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know how you could smell any sort of "diesel" smell with the DPF.

·
Administrator
18,756 Posts
Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
266 Posts
Odd as it sounds Rotella has a distinct smell for a little bit after an oil change. It’s a crankcase vent smell though. I’m not sure what to tell you though if your crankcase is a closed system.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Odd as it sounds Rotella has a distinct smell for a little bit after an oil change. It’s a crankcase vent smell though. I’m not sure what to tell you though if your crankcase is a closed system.
I'm with X758, ran Rotella for many years in a Cummins, right after an oil change it gives off a distinct odor.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
I'm with X758, ran Rotella for many years in a Cummins, right after an oil change it gives off a distinct odor.
Must be the "Rotella Scent-ella "

Reactions: t2timmy

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
When we would treat our racing alcohol with a top lube and scenting agent, an 16oz bottle would treat a 55 gallon drum of alcohol fuel. It doesn't take much to completely change the exhaust scent. After treating, the exhaust would smell like Strawberry or Grape (the scents I would select) and instead of the exhaust smell being very intolerable and having an "acidic smell", it would smell like a grape vineyard in the fall when its ready for harvest.

That's a ratio of 0.0027% fuel treatment to fuel. (55 gallon x 128oz per gallon / 16 oz = 0.0027% concentration)

So even a small additive to the fuel can change the scent significantly, and many diesel fuel sources either create a winter blend with diesel and kerosene fuel (which kerosene also smells very different when burning than diesel fuel) or they add a winter treatment to the fuel, to reduce its filter freeze point and help prevent gelling, paraffin separation, etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Having been pretty involved in the tractor pulling world for the past 8 or so years I agree with Sully Bear. The diesel guys would try all sorts of additives in their fuel and you could certainly smell it. Not that it has anything to do with the discussion here but raw alcohol exhaust at an idle is brutal. We started and set the timing on a 3 turbo super stock inside the hauler once. ONCE. Never again. I still believe the OPs smell is coming from the crankcase. It will go away after a few heat cycles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts