Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There I was just minding my own business, stacking hay and wondering if there was any water left in the cooler when I looked and this thing had somehow appeared on the trailer. :laugh:

Well now I've got 14,700 lbs of Ford 8210 sitting in my yard.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439089918.333872.jpg

The owner just bought it, and while it runs and functions it needs a good mechanical once over. Lots of leaks, part of the hitch mechanism is jammed up, the cooling system is showing its age and the air conditioning doesn't work. I'm sure there will be other stuff, that's just what I know about now.

Hoping to get into it after I make a little more progress on the shed. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
:good2:

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
She's a big 'un!! Did you purchase it or are you going to get it into shape for the owner?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Good looking iron. I still like that older horsepower better than the current large tractors.
Probably because it is better. :hide:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's a big 'un!! Did you purchase it or are you going to get it into shape for the owner?
I'm just going over it for the owner. I'd love to have something like this around, but right now the 5320 is about right.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
so you dont own it? i looks purdy cool!:laugh:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Even better

It might be even better to not own it. As long as the owner is willing to leave it there, that's the best of both worlds! Kinda like grandkids, you can play with it and when it breaks send it home!

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Very nice during this time without your :greentractorride: . And you might make a few :gizmo: too, what a deal!!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It might be even better to not own it. As long as the owner is willing to leave it there, that's the best of both worlds! Kinda like grandkids, you can play with it and when it breaks send it home!

Treefarmer
No, it's here because it's broken. :laugh: No huge rush to get into it, but I do need to get it done fairly quick so we can move round bales. He's still building the bale fork and we're still baling right now so I have a few weeks. I may start getting into the hitch this afternoon if I have time.

We just finished loading another 200 square bales, which puts us at about 700 so far this weekend. :good2:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Dang

Maybe you'll get to play with it some after fixing whatever it needs.

I'm happy it's you instead of me with the square bales. Been there, done that and glad I did but if we ever went back it would have to involve an accumulator and loader rather than picking up and stacking by hand. Of course, we never even saw an accumulator in those days and a loader was a dream for many years.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have an accumulator, that's how the stacks got built. We're loading customers hay off the stacks now.

I can use the 8210 for whatever I need, it's functional now. Just needs a little work to be 100% before hauling it out to the other ranch.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Even with the accumulator getting them onto the trailer, I have to stack them in the hay barn. One of my least favorite of all chores. But, when the hay barn is full, I've been known to stand there and stare into it at the bay, and really feel proud that I got it all done. (And it helps if I have a COLD beer while staring at it!!)

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I messed with the Ford a little this afternoon. I have a soft spot for Fords anyway (there's a surprise...) but the more I do with this tractor the more I like it. It's also pretty clear how far operator comforts have come. These were made from '82-'91, and the rims on this one are stamped 8/85 so I suspect it's a 1985-86 year model with over 7,000 hours now. It's a gear transmission, and the loader is controlled by the rear SCVs, which means curl and dump have their own levers. Certainly still a great tractor though. :good2:

Here's a bit of a size comparison.

ford2.jpg

The three point had a sway bar only on one side. It was connected to the draft arm, but nothing else. At some point the loose end (that should've been connected to the axle housing somewhere) got wedged against the back of the axle housing. When he lifted the three point, the wedged sway bar put pressure on the cylinder housing bending it, then wouldn't allow the hitch to lower.

ford3.jpg

With the sway bar removed and the cylinder unpinned, the hitch works correctly. I believe the cylinder is part of the load match system, but I'm still figuring out exactly how that works. The cylinder body is bent and the cylinder is trash, so I'd like to be able to just remove it and plug the line.

Didn't do much more, pulled the loader off so I can get into it a little easier. The list of stuff is already growing, noticed the valve cover leaking as well. It's a pretty maneuverable machine without the loader hanging so far out in front of it.

ford1.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Y'all thought I forgot about this, didn't you? :dunno:

I've been working on it off and on, today was a big day. I removed the exhaust a few days ago and got a broken support bracket welded back together. One manifold stud was broke off so I drilled it out and retapped, chased the other ones with a die. After that I started pulling the cooling system apart to replace the hoses. It's an easy job, save for one small hose that connects the thermostat housing to the water pump. The thermostat housing has to come off in order to replace it. Three of the four bolts are easy to get to, the fourth is behind the pressed on fan hub. There's no room to get a ratchet in there, not enough space to turn a wrench, and the angle is too sharp to use a swivel socket. I have no idea how they put it on at the factory, but it came loose with some fiddling and tinkering. I need to mark and remove some hydraulic lines tomorrow, then pick up parts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440472412.087080.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440472425.042881.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440472446.201688.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it's back together. Ran it up and down the road a bit to get it warm and burp the last of the air out of the cooling system, seems to be doing just what it should. I'm planning to pressure wash the gunk off before putting all the covers back on. Of course all that would be too easy, so can anyone guess the next job?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441407368.033054.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441407379.604687.jpg

Front axle pivot bushing. This is the result of years of loader work with no rear ballast. "It didn't even lift the rear tires, it's fine." May have lifted it, but this is the byproduct. Fortunately we caught it before it got into the housing...I think. We won't be able to see the rear pivot bushing until I drop the axle. I'm hoping to do that this weekend, we ordered new bushings so hopefully I can disassemble and reassemble everything the same day.

Grease your equipment, and use ballast. Or don't, and pay for it in the long run.

:munch:

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
Looks like it was greased often too. :mocking: Grease is cheap folks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts