Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year, I try to add some sort of compost to the garden,,
so, my my wife mentioned she had tax documents to get rid of,,,
She mentioned firing up a burn barrel, or find a shredding facility,, I figured the worms would love the paper,,

Newspapers have been a favorite worm food in past years,, I figured the worms would LOVE my tax records.

I opened a furrow with my rotary plow, I guess any plow that turns over a furrow would work;

Then I laid the documents in the furrow about one inch thick;

Next, I used the plow to cover the documents;

I sprinkled some high nitrogen fertilizer on the documents to promote decomposition;

I needed 3 furrows to get rid of all the records,, here it is after the last furrow was plowed;

Over the next 36 hours we are supposed to get 2 inches of rain,, that should soak the paper well,,

Maybe I will plant corn and use the tax man's records to grow what I need to make untaxed moonshine!!
LOL! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that's a creative way to recycle. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to decompose.
My neighbor had hundreds of pounds of newspapers in his basement,,
he did not even know why he was saving them.

I mulched around the plants in my garden with them one year,, about one entire newspaper thick.
To keep them from blowing away, I did put a little compost on top.

Well, the weeds were controlled 100% that year,,
the next year, there was no sign that any paper was added,, NONE!!

I expect by August, you will not be able to find anything,, unless there was some plastic thing that I missed,,,

With the predicted rain, and the fertilizer I added,, by Friday no one would be able to read the papers,,

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
We shred all of our bills and "important papers" and I use them for the nesting boxes in the chicken coop. Eventually they end up on the floor of the coop and get shoveled up with the chicken pewp and thrown in to the compost pile. A year later they make a very nice compost for the garden.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is there any contanimation problem or issues with the ink used on the paper?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Next April 15th, the IRS will be waiting for their percentage of whatever you produce from that garden.

:eat:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any contamination problem or issues with the ink used on the paper?
Most inks for a long time,, have been made from soybean oil,,

in any case, the percentage of ink must be in the single digits per billion,,,

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
:bigthumb: good thinking there fella.:lol: my family has been using newspapers for yrs to keep the weeds down in the gardens. it works great. i put a couple of sheets down, and then cover that with cut grass to hold the paper down from blowing away..

·
Registered
715 Posts
IIRC, uncomposted wood fiber (i.e. paper pulp) depletes nitrogen in the soil as it decomposes. Make sure you add it back with suitable fertilizer.

Al

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IIRC, uncomposted wood fiber (i.e. paper pulp) depletes nitrogen in the soil as it decomposes. Make sure you add it back with suitable fertilizer.

Al
The fertilizer I added was a heavy dose of 19-19-19,,, that ought to get it going,,, :good2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts