Registered
11,895 Posts

·
Registered
11,485 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
funny I had the same idea, didn't know if I could handle the loaded tires when I put spacers on, so I looked around and ordered this.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Jak-SuperSlick-Vehicles-500lbs-Individually/dp/B00P00YLUA

worked perfect, except the lugs on the tires wouldn't let the rollers roll, I could have used their third roller, also I didn't know it would have a click mechanism to close it up, I assumed it would be hydraulic, so to close it up on the tire required three hands:laugh::flag_of_truce: , but I got it closed, pulled the tire, put on the spacers and just had to rotate the hub to line up with the tire and the tire slid right back on. best part is I can now use it when I switch to my snow tires on my trucks, they are getting heavier the more years I do it, I really think they are using heavier rubber in them the last couple of years:lol:

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
funny I had the same idea, didn't know if I could handle the loaded tires when I put spacers on, so I looked around and ordered this.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Jak-SuperSlick-Vehicles-500lbs-Individually/dp/B00P00YLUA

worked perfect, except the lugs on the tires wouldn't let the rollers roll, I could have used their third roller, also I didn't know it would have a click mechanism to close it up, I assumed it would be hydraulic, so to close it up on the tire required three hands:laugh::flag_of_truce: , but I got it closed, pulled the tire, put on the spacers and just had to rotate the hub to line up with the tire and the tire slid right back on. best part is I can now use it when I switch to my snow tires on my trucks, they are getting heavier the more years I do it, I really think they are using heavier rubber in them the last couple of years:lol:
It is not necessary to lift the tires off the ground when removing them. Folks have been removing and reinstalling HUGE tractor tires forever without any type of lifting device. The trick with tractor tires is to keep them upright and do not lay them over. You only need to jack the tractor up enough to take the weight off the lug nuts/bolts. Then you simply wiggle the tire away from the hub and roll it out of the way. I used to remove the 13.8x28 loaded tires on my old 9N by myself. Those were small tires by today's tractor standards but they still weighed hundreds of pounds when loaded with calcium chloride.

Reinstalling the tires on the studs isn't too bad. Instead of rotating the tire to match the lugs you rotate the hub to match the tire. JD's "lug bolts" adds a little to the challenge but that can be avoided too by making yourself a "guide pin" out of a lug bolt. Just cut the head off the bolt, round the edges and grind two flat sides in case you need to turn it with a wrench. I made a guide pin for my 2-series front and rear wheels. Below is a photo of the pin being used on the front tires when I installed my front spacers.

Spacer2.jpg

Granted, some of today's big tractor tires can weigh thousands of pounds when loaded so some type of device is needed to make the job safer. I see a lot of folks using a skidsteer to lift big tires on and off. But such a device isn't needed for the relatively small tires on the 1-, 2-, and 3-series tractors.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I'm always thinking of ways I can use my front loader to reduce lifting. Unfortunately, most of my lifting projects involve the tractor itself, so it sort rules out using it. For example, it would be great to design a tool for the FEL that easily handled wheel weights. Wait a minute! This means that I need a second tractor!

I'm going to need some help from all of you to convince my wife.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wait a minute! This means that I need a second tractor!

I'm going to need some help from all of you to convince my wife.
Honey, it's sort of like needing to buy a tugboat to get your yacht away from the pier. And we could always rent out the little tractor when we don't need it to change a tire on the big tractor. Why, it'll practically pay for itself.:laugh::laugh:

What a wonderful idea, let's go tractor shopping right away (said no woman ever!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts