Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys is there anything out there to help me with this damn bounce this tractor has.i have tried airing the tires up and down,I have tried adding weight to the front and rear and nothing has helped.i do have the really nice high back seat on there.if I cut really slow it's not to bad,but man when I speed up and try to cut,holy sh$t it wants to bouce me right off the tractor.there has to be something out there to calm this thing down a little.thanks

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
My X754 bounces on rough ground; but is fine on relatively smooth terrain. I use mine for weeds and native grass mowing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The springs do look like they can be replaced.if I went with the stiffer springs would that really help.if I cut at 0.5 mph it's fine,I can walk faster then that

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got me thinking about a stiffer spring.so I used a jack and compressed the springs so they are about one inch from bump stop.then I used a rope to hold it there,so a total compression of about two inches.WOW I just can't believe how much better it is,it's a completely different ride now.so I called the dealer for stiffer springs and they do not make them.can I get them aftermarket,someone must make something like that.and how do I determine the spring rate of the ones I have now.thanks so much so solved the JD bounce problem.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
You got me thinking about a stiffer spring.so I used a jack and compressed the springs so they are about one inch from bump stop.then I used a rope to hold it there,so a total compression of about two inches.WOW I just can't believe how much better it is,it's a completely different ride now.so I called the dealer for stiffer springs and they do not make them.can I get them aftermarket,someone must make something like that.and how do I determine the spring rate of the ones I have now.thanks so much so solved the JD bounce problem.
Slick-ma-man My 738 does bounce too but I believe it is the weight of the deck that causes this to occur.. Without my deck it does not bounce. It happens if I go fast, slow it does not.. It reminds me of my backhoe running down the road, front wheels come right off the ground sometimes! The only time I run fast is to get to the beer cooler on a hot day after a portion of my property has been completely mowed. In the winter with the blower on it does not bounce even at full bore and pedal to the metal.. Good luck with the spring thing I Have no idea on how to go about that part. My seat is fine it's the tractor that is causing the issue. Happy with the seat. Another way to stop the seat from bouncing to much is to install a beer cooler to the back of the seat, the more weight the better,, Maybe mine is good because I weight 230.. !!! Good luck,, JT

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
One more thing I thought about,, have you tried to take the rubber bumpers and turn them over? You can adjust the seat in that way they just slide out and you can also adjust the seat for pitch too.. You should have about three holes in the front of the seat support for this. Your manual will show you about all the seat adjustments.. I turned my bumpers over day one and adjusted the seat to lean back a little further, I also have the upgraded seat with the high back and lever adjuster just like a car adjustment, was an extra on the price on the 738.. You probably already tried this but it just came to mind.. Only trying to help you out..

·
Registered
54 Posts
The rear of my X720 used to have a nasty bounce to it when going full speed on a hard surface. Turns out it was caused by one of the rear tires being out of round. Took those tires off and put HDAP's on and that cured it. Loving the new shoes!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Some good ideas! We get some of these issues from customers every year. I may be a JD master tech but I am by no means an operator of high end LG stuff. I own a 15 yr old Scotts and push mow with a 14SB! It helps to know what you all have done to fix pesky problems such as a rough ride ect. Hopefully Mother Deere will listen and learn!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
The springs do look like they can be replaced.if I went with the stiffer springs would that really help.if I cut at 0.5 mph it's fine,I can walk faster then that
What these X7xx seats need is a weight compensating adjustment mechanism like my 4200 CUT has. I've thought about stiffer springs for mine as well as I think my 210-pound carcass is bottoming the springs out.

I'd be willing to bet that valve springs from a small block Chevy V8 (e.g. 350) might work, and they aren't that expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts