Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have some Ford people here and I can’t quite figure out what might be causing this.

The other day when driving my truck the theft light would briefly blink or flash and the engine would miss or hesitate when accelerating or adding a load. (Going up a hill etc)

I’ve swapped out the PCM relay but there isn’t any change. Going to start checking electrical connections and clean them with contact cleaner next.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all.

Truck is a 2002 F150 with the 4.2 v6. 57000 miles.

Thanks.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

I can't help with your issue as my ODBC2 cord won't reach but I have to ask this: Are you driving it like you stole it? :yahoo:

I would get a good diag tool dump of the data and see if you can ID the sensor that's popping the light.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a reader. No codes come up. So easy it isn’t going to be. Going to try some simple stuff first.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I'm not sure how most code readers work, but with Vag-Com for VW which hooks to a laptop, you can run it while driving to see what is happening. Will other readers do this? Have it hooked up while driving to capture a code or show a problem while driving?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Bad plugs or bad coils on plugs cause this sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Sounds like a coil pack but this will pop up an engine code. AUTOZONE and I am sure other auto parts stores in your area will check the codes free of charge.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
I know we have some Ford people here and I can’t quite figure out what might be causing this.

The other day when driving my truck the theft light would briefly blink or flash and the engine would miss or hesitate when accelerating or adding a load. (Going up a hill etc)
Our grandson just bought a 2001 F-150 and his does this except the blinking theft light. He went to O'Reilly's and had it checked. Says #7 is code but doesn't say what is bad with it. I think it's the coil but at this stage, who knows.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

When I said get a good data dump I was talking about a professional scan tool not a code reader. My diag tool has specific modules for specific years and makes. It reads all the inputs and values in real time not just the stored codes. I would advise to go to a local garage and see how much they will charge you to run a diag on it. Make sure their tool has the module for your year and make. The tools are several thousand dollars so it makes sense to pay an hour or so of shop rate to get the data.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
In the line of what tomd says - I have a good relationship with my local Ford dealer's service department. I would just go to them for diagnosis with the proper eauipment.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to a neighbor today that works at the local ford dealer. He said he’s never heard of this but the system is located in the gauge cluster or goes through the cluster.

They are know for having cold solder joints.

Going to call the dealership he works at Monday and take it in. They can diagnose the cluster with the equipment hey have. Better then me trying to do it.

If it turns out it is the cluster hopefully I can get one with a tach. I hate not having a tach.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the ford dealer called today and said it’s the coil pack. They’re going to change it out and then re test everything.

Apparently the coil pack and anti theft light are connected.

So it should be fixed later today.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Well the ford dealer called today and said it’s the coil pack. They’re going to change it out and then re test everything.

Apparently the coil pack and anti theft light are connected.

So it should be fixed later today.

Good to hear it is a simple fix. I was going to guess coil pack but can't be sure without being properly diagnosed. I think with our Fords we can expect coil pack replacements as they get older.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
I'm not sure how most code readers work, but with Vag-Com for VW which hooks to a laptop, you can run it while driving to see what is happening. Will other readers do this? Have it hooked up while driving to capture a code or show a problem while driving?
My dirty mind is working overtime here. :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts