Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It kind of crept up on me--four kids all doing their own things. Then my 26 year old son tells me he just bought a one-way ticket to New Zealand and he's walking the 1,800 mile Te Ararao trail. I looked it up. He will be 7,200 miles away from me.
My daughter is going to San Diego to get her masters in architecture. That's 1,255 miles away. My oldest is starting a triple-cream yogurt company in San Francisco. That's about 800 miles. My youngest daughter is breaking into the trade unions in Seattle. Only 60 miles away.

That mean the average distance between me and my offspring will be 2,300 miles. I am so proud of all my kids, but I get choked up just writing that number--2,300 miles.

How about yours? Close to home or half way around the world?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
brainsims--well the oldest son is about 45miles from me. after he came home from the air force he lived in our basement, till he bought a house and got married, that took from 2004 till 2015-11 yrs living off the old man, ah-yeah his mother too:laugh: i didn't mind it to bad, he took care of my vehicles and even helped on the tractors when wrenches needed turned, so it worked out ok.

now the youngest moved out right after graduation, he's been married once, and it did not work out at all. he lives maybe 10 miles from us, so both of our boys family is close.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
This has changed greatly for me over the years. My son is in the military and will be retiring this summer. He was stationed in Korea and Germany at different times along with multiple tours in Iraq and Afganistan and one down to Guantanamo Bay. Right now, he's in North Carolina.

My daughter was living down on Oklahoma where she had gone to college. She stayed there for 9 years after graduating.

So between them, for a long time the average would have been in the 3,000-4,000 mile range I guess. But my daughter just moved up here last week and is living with me until she finds a place. So with her now being 0 miles away, that average just plummeted to about 600 miles. :laugh:

·
Registered
568 Posts
It kind of crept up on me--four kids all doing their own things. Then my 26 year old son tells me he just bought a one-way ticket to New Zealand and he's walking the 1,800 mile Te Ararao trail. I looked it up. He will be 7,200 miles away from me.
My daughter is going to San Diego to get her masters in architecture. That's 1,255 miles away. My oldest is starting a triple-cream yogurt company in San Francisco. That's about 800 miles. My youngest daughter is breaking into the trade unions in Seattle. Only 60 miles away.

That mean the average distance between me and my offspring will be 2,300 miles. I am so proud of all my kids, but I get choked up just writing that number--2,300 miles.

How about yours? Close to home or half way around the world?
brian - another way to think about your separation from your kids is in time zones for phone calls/Skype sessions, etc. and travel time to get together. My wife and I lived overseas for 18+ years. We were anywhere from eight to twelve time zones away from home when we lived in the near and middle East and western Asia and one to three time zones when we lived in the southern Caribbean. Travel times could be as long as 30 hours door to door. The longest stretch that I ever had not seeing the U.S. was 13 months.

High speed internet was the game changer in terms of communication via Skype, Vonage or Magic Jack, etc. We had two distinct ring tones on our land line in Egypt - one for local and another for international calls. The latter could make the blood run cold.

I tried not to wake anyone up at home with too late phone calls, but was not always successful. The end of our work day there was usually the start of the workday here.

Brian

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
We have one in Berkeley, CA (expecting our 4th grandchild later this year) 2950 miles
One in Phoenix, AZ (with 2 kids) 2475 miles
One in Pulaski, NY (with 1 kid) 225 miles

So our average is about 1880 miles.

We really miss seeing them all, and with the arrival of our grandchildren starting a few years ago, we miss them more. We still try to see our kids out west at least once or twice a year, would be nice if we could "beam" ourselves across the country :laugh:, but flying isn't too bad. We get to Pulaski much more often.

I have co-workers who occasionally complain about frequent requests to babysit their grandchildren. I give them an earful that they would have a different opinion if their grandkids were thousands of miles away (like ours are). They shut up almost immediately.:laugh:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Two and 1

We have one fledgling that early on decided to see the world. She spent time in Europe and South American while still in school, then grad school on the west coast. Even though she now lives in NC- she spends about half her time in the Caribbean for work.

Another one was close to home but is now on the west coast for the summer. Her location has limited phone service and limited internet. It's hard not being able to communicate. She didn't even have a mailing address for a while so no snail mail. . .

The other one has a little more time in college but will probably settle closer to home, at least close enough to work a regular job and also on the farm.

We want them to fly but sure do miss them. I think a trip to the west coast is in our future this summer, just for a visit plus it's an area that would be fun to see. I might even work in a visit to some forestry sites out there. . .

Treefarmer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts