Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the selling points for me with going John Deere was the company prided itself on being American Made. I guess like everything else... American Made really means American Assembled cause I have found thus far about 95% of the bolts, nuts, allen,ect have been metric. Doesn't take away the superior quality and basic all around toughness. I grew up around John Deere and have used different forms of the equipment in the USAF but nonetheless a let down. Just venting

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Metric hardware doesn't mean anything. In fact almost all manufacturing in large quantities and anything being built with components from outside of the US have gone to metric a long time ago. This is nothing new.

Other than the learning curve needed to for us to adjust to metric, I wish it would all go that way. It's a much easier system to grasp, comprehend, and talk/share info with vendors with about than standard. The rest of the world uses it. That being said, I use my standard stuff a lot more often than metric....

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree with Diesel. Metric bolts do not mean anything. Case in point, with the exception of ford's model T and a few others, most car manufactorers back in the early 20'S converted their spark plug thread from 1/2" to 14 or 18mm. It was only a matter of time before all fasteners went to metric. Being a GM technician I have only seen metric fasteners on vehicles that I know have been built and designed in the US. It's a much easier sizing system to learn. If you are working on an old car and grab a 3/4" wrench and find its too small many may not know the next size up is 13/16". However if you grab a 13mm wrench and it's too small EVERYONE knows the next size bigger is 14mm.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Metric hardware doesn't mean anything. In fact almost all manufacturing in large quantities and anything being built with components from outside of the US have gone to metric a long time ago. This is nothing new.

Other than the learning curve needed to for us to adjust to metric, I wish it would all go that way. It's a much easier system to grasp, comprehend, and talk/share info with vendors with about than standard. The rest of the world uses it. That being said, I use my standard stuff a lot more often than metric....
Metric isn't easier for us old farts that can recognize a 5/16" through 1 1/8" by looking at it or feeling it. I have got to the point that I can recognize a 10mm, but that's about it. I blame the metric system in America on the president before President Reagan. I didn't want to make this political, therefore I did not name the one I blame the stupid metric system on. :hide:

But, us old farts do know that 13/16" follows 3/4" fuelhog. That is as natural to us as the metric system is to you younger fellers.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is a 1999,,, mostly metric,,, :dunno:

IMO,,, if you want to export it,,, it better be metric,,, 1gif:
That truck is not mostly metric. It is ALL metric.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Metric isn't easier for us old farts that can recognize a 5/16" through 1 1/8" by looking at it or feeling it. I have got to the point that I can recognize a 10mm, but that's about it. I blame the metric system in America on the president before President Reagan. I didn't want to make this political, therefore I did not name the one I blame the stupid metric system on. :hide:

But, us old farts do know that 13/16" follows 3/4" fuelhog. That is as natural to us as the metric system is to you younger fellers.
I understand standard sizing just fine too. But the point I am making is that for anyone learning a measuring system in this day and age you cannot argue that metric is far easier to learn than standard.

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
I still don't like it. :banghead:
That's ok. I get that. I feel yours and the OP's frustration. Heck, do you have any idea how much time I've wasted in my life looking for the correct size tool? Sometimes I'm very envious of Blake's "get a big darn hammer" approach. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
I'm with you DR.

mm stands for Mickey Mouse.
I've heard that reference before. I like it. :thumbup1gif:

Thanks for agreeing me.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
You guys are funny. I'm gonna grab my 3/8ths handgun and shoot myself
NO NO don't do that. Call the metric suicide hotline. :flag_of_truce:

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
NO NO don't do that. Call the metric suicide hotline. :flag_of_truce:
I can hear it now..... "I can't figure out what's just slightly bigger than 15mm!!! I'm desperate. Will a 13/16" fit? What? The tool police are on the way? That's it.... I'm done. Don't try to stop me. I have a Standard wrench that won't fit!"

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
SAE? Metric? Who cares? Least of my worries. I take 'em all on. No problems here. Way over invested in tools though.......

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
How about going and asking for 225 x 65 x 17" tires OR asking for 8.9 x 5.8 x 17

or a 205 55 16 and asking for a 8.1 x 4.4 x 16

:dunno::dunno:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
I use metric hand tools more now than ever, but I cannot look at a bolt head, or nut; and tell you what size wrench it will take. :unknown:

With SAE, I'm right 99.999999999999% of the time. With my "cheater" glasses on, I'm right 100% of the time. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
If metric is so great, why do they still need a 3/8 or 1/2 inch ratchet for the sockets?

They should have to use a metric ratchet. :hornets:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts