Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be moving out to 20 acres this fall :yahoo: I currently own a Can Am ATV that I currently trailer to different locations and ride occasionally.

Once we are out on the property, I'm thinking a gator might serve us better. I need something with 2 seats. It will mainly be used to get around the property. I'll also use it to transport some tools around the property, for example, to a downed tree.

So, I have two options... I would like to spend about 5k tops.

The first option would be to trade in my ATV (dealer will give me 4000) and get something like the XUV 550 (8500). I'm thinking I could use this unit for work and trail riding. My friends and I do a lot of slow muddy swamp riding.

The second option would be something like the base model CX 4x2. If I went with this one I would keep the ATV.

Thoughts?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Can you post up a picture of your Can Am ATV so we can see what you have now. I think you may get better answers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you post up a picture of your Can Am ATV so we can see what you have now. I think you may get better answers.
Sure, here it is...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372369157.798317.jpg

I do think a Gator will be a must when we get out there. Even for something like running down the 500 ft. drive to get the mail. I suppose I could use my ATV for that but I would really like something with 2 seats so my wife and I can both ride somewhere.

I found myself looking at small ATV trailers for tools or racks for buckets. Not sure if thats the solution though.

Do you guys with Gators have ATV's too? Has anyone sold an ATV and missed it?

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
My Gator 4x2 is the most used piece of equipment on the property. Everything from feeding horses, running to get the mail, checking fence, etc. Would not want to be without it.

If you look around, you can probably find a used 4x2 for $3,000 or so. Keep the Can Am for fun stuff, and use the Gator for working. It looks like the CX is just a newer version of the 4x2, with 100 lbs less load capacity, and a plastic bed that looks a little smaller.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Gator 4x2 is the most used piece of equipment on the property. Everything from feeding horses, running to get the mail, checking fence, etc. Would not want to be without it.

If you look around, you can probably find a used 4x2 for $3,000 or so. Keep the Can Am for fun stuff, and use the Gator for working. It looks like the CX is just a newer version of the 4x2, with 100 lbs less load capacity, and a plastic bed that looks a little smaller.
I did some looking on Craigslist today. There are quite a few Gators for sale. Maybe going with a lightly used CX is the way to go. Gators sure do hold their value well. My dealer said they have 0 percent for 36 months too. Maybe that's an option... Can't beat new!

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
We have a xuv550 S4 ,,4 seater light duty. Takes 40 acres to turn it around but carries 4 adult with no problem. I had the bed rounded with top soil , and rock. We have 120 hrs and it will be a yr old middle of July. Major complaint , engine , needs more hp or axle ratio changed to different gearing.
Runs fine on open highway, field , or dirt roads. When it sees a hill speed drops right now, but its only a 16 hp B&S air cooled engine.
We had a head gasket to go last mo. according to B&S bad head gaskets was shipped to them from there supplier. Since one was bad dealer replaced both of them seems to have more power and running OK now.
The 2 seater might do better because it is lighter so not carrying around the extra weight of the 4 seater .

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
ElWood, If you have the need to go have fun now, keep the ATV and get a CX. Then when you realize that you no longer want/need the ATV sell both and get a bigger Gator.
I will say that our CX is NOT going anywhere. We bought it years ago and it has proved to be a great buy. Once you start using the the box on the back, the easy on and off I am sure you'll never look back. If you do get a CX, I'd suggest the electric dump option. Whenever my wife and I have projects to do on our property, we load up the gator and off we go. Normally one of us takes the tractor the other takes the gator.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ElWood, If you have the need to go have fun now, keep the ATV and get a CX. Then when you realize that you no longer want/need the ATV sell both and get a bigger Gator.
I will say that our CX is NOT going anywhere. We bought it years ago and it has proved to be a great buy. Once you start using the the box on the back, the easy on and off I am sure you'll never look back. If you do get a CX, I'd suggest the electric dump option. Whenever my wife and I have projects to do on our property, we load up the gator and off we go. Normally one of us takes the tractor the other takes the gator.
Thanks Gizmo. I think this is the option I'm going to go with. I've been looking on Craigslist and I've seen some clean CX's for around 4k.

I'm a little hesitant to have both machines but for the situation I'm in, it looks like the best option. Like you said, I can always sell both later and get a bigger gator!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Electric Dump. It is definitely worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Agree with most posters here that a Gator (ANY Gator) will find multiple uses on residential acreage of most any size. Even though we did not have large animals to feed and care for, the E-Gator that I bought for $1200 was very handy when we had just 2.3 wooded acres, and we used it heavily for several years before we moved to the smaller current golf course property of one acre. The electric drive was surprisingly good on our hills, and being able to bring firewood into the attached garage without any fuel smell was a bonus. Maybe the later ones have mostly sealed fuel systems like contemporary cars, but my garden tractors sure didn't -- and the wife approval factor for having them long term in the "good" garage was pretty low. All members of the Deere herd running on either gas or diesel were relegated to the detached shop.

That said, I did double the capacity (volume and weight) of the E-Gator load rating by making a small trailer from a spare bed I picked up and a Harbor Freight trailer frame. No issues with the E-Gator pulling the extra weight, and the newer ones of all motive types are rated for even more (except the CX...) This trailer did not electrically dump like the bed on the E-gator itself, but the load height was less.

For just personnel transport of two people and occasional gear at a real bargain price, you might consider a golf cart. Either gas or electric, many are easily obtained for well under $1000 in decent shape. We had both the cart and the Gator at the same time -- I used the Gator more, but the wife used the cart more. She claimed to be able to get an early morning start with her yard chores so quietly that no neighbors on our country lane were ever disturbed... Representative pictures to follow. The cab was a good option here in the Pacific Northwest.
Gator capacity times two.jpg Gator chores.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
We bought a 2007 HPX 4x4 last year for momma and her garden. Momma doesn't see it much and has been talking about buying another one. We use it for everything. Electric dump is great. I fill it with dirt or rocks with the Struck and can dump in seconds, man that's sweet.

Today I used it to take grandma out to the gardens because it was too wet for her to drive out there. She likes it so much I had to take her for a little ride around the property.

Mike

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you have any steep slopes or long runs on your property you probably will not be happy with the CX or any of the other under-powered low speed Gators. We had a 2004 4X2 (same as the current TS model), it was dreadfully slow going out the 1/2 mile driveway to get the mail, and almost crawled to a stop on the steepest part of the hill. Try to demo it on your property before buying, If we had done that we never would have bought it. If you're expecting anything near the performance of your ATV you will be greatly disappointed with any of the low end Gators.

We ended up with a 2006 Polaris Ranger 4x4. We may try another Gator in the future, but for now we're extremely happy with the Ranger. It tops out at 41 MPH, fast enough to make you feel like you should be wearing the seat belt. I use it to haul heaping loads of rocks and gravel, tools, firewood, whatever. We use it to visit the neighbors, get the mail, take the trash out. We don't use it every day, but close to it. I think if you get the right UTV there's not much use for a utility ATV.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
If you have any steep slopes or long runs on your property you probably will not be happy with the CZ or any of the other under-powered low speed Gators. We had a 2004 X (same as the current TS model), it was dreadfully slow going out the 1/2 mile driveway to get the mail, and almost crawled to a stop on the steepest part of the hill. Try to demo it on your property before buying, If we had done that we never would have bought it. If you're expecting anything near the performance of your ATV you will be greatly disappointed with any of the low end Gators.

We ended up with a 2006 Polaris Ranger X. We may try another Gator in the future, but for now we're extremely happy with the Ranger. It tops out at 41 MPH, fast enough to make you feel like you should be wearing the seat belt. I use it to haul heaping loads of rocks and gravel, tools, firewood, whatever. We use it to visit the neighbors, get the mail, take the trash out. We don't use it every day, but close to it. I think if you get the right TV there's not much use for a utility ATV.
I have to say, nice write up. Never thought about the speed of our CX in as much as is fits our use just perfect but 120 feet to the end of the driveway is a far cry shorter than 1/2 mile.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gizmo2 is correct that the test drive is important. If the dealer won't let you test drive on your property at least give it a good drive on his property. We bought a new Gator three years ago and started off considering the TS just from reading the literature and on-line material. At the dealer we drove one and were concerned about it meeting our needs as we do have a few hills on our poperty and I knew I would be using it for some occassional pulling and hauling. All said, we purchased a TX and you might give this model a look. It has 40% more HP than the TS and more than twice the torque. They both have top speeds of 20 mph but the TX has no problems getting there on moderate hills. It also has a bit better ride with 4 wheel independent suspension.

This is not a 4-wheeling, speed buggy but for a traditional, working machine for the farm, it's perfect for our needs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had an XUV550 for about a month and a half now (the 2 seater version) and I have been very pleased with it. I used to have some ATV's (Honda Ranchers) but they were barely ever used. Even a light duty side by side has far more utility than an ATV and I find it gets through the rough terrain just as well. It's much safer than an ATV and fulfills the "fun" role too (to an extent). If you have a lot of wide open spaces to cover (I don't) you might find the XUV550 to be a bit slow. It does fine on hills and moving stuff around if you work within its limits. I've found the XUV to be surprisingly good at low speed off road stuff.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments. Every bit of information helps. I have about 20 acres with half being wide open and flat. The other half has some swamp and forest. I never really thought about the speed of the vehicle. The more I think about it, it definitely needs to be considered.

I was over at the dealer today looking at several models he has. I'm still undecided at this point. Some test drives is probably a good idea. Test driving a few tractors made my decision easier so I'm sure doing the same for a gator would help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts