Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about replacing my 6 year old Cub Cadet 4 cycle weed whip. The CC4060 is still running good but I do not use it as often as I should mainly due to the weight of it is very hard on my back carrying it around the yard. I bought the CC when I was doing a little bit of lawn work as a side job/business and needed the power and brush cutting ability.

So I definitely want a straight shaft and corded is definitely out.:nunu: So that only leaves gas and battery(cordless):unknown:. I don't know if I will find a gas unit lite enough for me to carry, so my question is, Has anyone had any experience with the cordless trimmers?:think::read:dunno:

From what I have read the 36 volt B & D are getting the best reviews:read Any input appreciated.:drinks:
Jeff

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Have you looked at Stihl? Not only are their gas powered units awesome, they also have a cordless electric unit. Does your JD dealer carry Stihl?

I have owned a Stihl FS110 straight shaft 4 stroke for years and love it. Most come with a harness to take the weight and put it on your shoulders.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at Stihl? Not only are their gas powered units awesome, they also have a cordless electric unit. Does your JD dealer carry Stihl?

I have owned a Stihl FS110 straight shaft 4 stroke for years and love it. Most come with a harness to take the weight and put it on your shoulders.

I did not know Stihl was into cordless, I will check them out:good2: as far as the harness goes, I have never found one that worked well for me, the CC has one that actully makes my back hurt worst:thumbsdown:
Thanks for the info on the stihl .:drinks:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Cordless ones to me are a waste. I have had 2 or 3 different ones over the last few years and they do not last. The batteries just don't do well with that kind of constant load on them and simply do not last more the a year or two.

Have you looked into the propane powered ones? They use a camp stove size propane and the engines are simple and light. worth a look anyway.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Great videos. Thanks for posting them. I too am a huge Stihl fan. Have been forever. My first job I worked at a rental store as their 2 stroke guy. We had mostly Stihl and some Shindaiwa. The Stihl was easier to work on, way more robust, and parts were easy to get. The customers would beat the crap out of them and they came back ready for more. I haven't seen anything they've made that wasn't high quality. I don't think you'll go wrong with these here Jeff. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I have a FS90 and a FS130. Pretty much the same units but the 130 is more powerful. My FS130 does not have the easy start option but the FS90 does. I would get that option if you are buying new! The FS90 has a ton of power to anything lawn related and then run string in brush. I purchased the FS130 because I wanted something to run a brush blade. The FS130 has no issue running the much heavier blades.

Both of these units have more power than any other unit I have owned before but I will never go back to anything less any more.

The 4-mix motors have been great for me as they are low maintenance yet reliable.

While I took the picks, the 361 popped in there. I need to cut some wood today!

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm liking all the responses to this and thank you for all the intrest.:thumbup1gif: I have always been a Stihl fan and I like what I read ans saw about the FSA 65 & 85's, But $$$ almost 300.00 before the battery & charger. Fathers Day is coming up, maybe my Son & Daughter will read this.:laugh::lol::mocking:

Brian, that saw looks brand new, not a scratch on it. Are you sure you wan't to cut wood today and get it all dirty?:drinks:

Jeff

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
I think Brian should change his username to "Money Bags".:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I'm liking all the responses to this and thank you for all the intrest.:thumbup1gif: I have always been a Stihl fan and I like what I read ans saw about the FSA 65 & 85's, But $$$ almost 300.00 before the battery & charger. Fathers Day is coming up, maybe my Son & Daughter will read this.:laugh::lol::mocking:

Brian, that saw looks brand new, not a scratch on it. Are you sure you wan't to cut wood today and get it all dirty?:drinks:

Jeff
Jeff, That saw is 3 years old or so. I bought it when they discontinued the 361 and went with the 362. I have used that saw for many days on end. I just take care of the stuff as its not cheap to replace!

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Jeff, That saw is 3 years old or so. I bought it when they discontinued the 361 and went with the 362. I have used that saw for many days on end. I just take care of the stuff as its not cheap to replace!
You obviously take good care of your stuff. Most pics you have posted are a testament towards this. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Echo. Can't beat the 5 year home owner warranty and they just keep going.
Glad you posted this, it made me remember something that your Stihl dealer should tell you. If you buy a pack of specific Stihl 2 cycle oil, I think it's the High Performance, when you buy your new Stihl product, it doubles the warranty. A Stihl trimmer, when not used commercially and bought with the oil should have about a 4 year warranty. That sticks in my mind, because they started doing that right after I bought my chainsaw.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I have a FS90 and a FS130. Pretty much the same units but the 130 is more powerful. My FS130 does not have the easy start option but the FS90 does. I would get that option if you are buying new! The FS90 has a ton of power to anything lawn related and then run string in brush. I purchased the FS130 because I wanted something to run a brush blade. The FS130 has no issue running the much heavier blades.

Both of these units have more power than any other unit I have owned before but I will never go back to anything less any more.

The 4-mix motors have been great for me as they are low maintenance yet reliable.

While I took the picks, the 361 popped in there. I need to cut some wood today!
The FS90 does a pretty good job with a brush blade, though you need to keep the blade sharp. I spent most of yesterday clearing with one. Though hard to see, there's an FS90 and an MS361 in that picture. :lol:

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
I bought a new Stihl blower Friday and can confirm that. I purchased a six pack of synthetic oil ($2 more than the standard oil) and they doubled the warranty on the spot. No brainer there. :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
The local home improvement store here has advertised a propane powered, 4 stroke, string trimmer.

Anyone with experience with a unit like this ?................. ?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Brian have you replaced the bar? I take care of my stuff too. But 50% of my paint is gone from my bar and its 2 years old !!

Yours does look new.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just want to add my vote for Stihl. I once owned a landscaping business and also a tree service. Bought mainly Stihl saws and trimmers and blowers and much more. The largest lawn service company in the area switched to Red Max. He bought his tools from the same Stihl dealer as I did and the dealer started also selling Red Max. I decided to buy some Red Max equipment and had no real issues.
The real difference has been the duration of certain parts. The Red Max air filters haven't lasted as long and some of the fuel related parts, but everything else has held up.

Even though I have gotten a lot and I mean a LOT of use out of every Stihl and Red Max product, the Stihl brand machines have been less expensive to maintain. On the Red Max weedeaters, I've had to replace the rubber air pipes, which crack with age and use. The pipes were redesigned, but am waiting to see just how much. People might think I'm rich or something when they see just how many lawn and tree related tools I own, but sure worked my tail off to get it.
My oldest chainsaw is a 1998 STIHL 036 Pro. It starts and performs as well as it did when new and has been used all over Texas and parts of Oklahoma.

I like both brands, but will always recommend STIHL first.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Brian have you replaced the bar? I take care of my stuff too. But 50% of my paint is gone from my bar and its 2 years old !!

Yours does look new.
Never replaced the bar. I cut with the chain, not the bar. LOL

I have a pretty aggressive chain that does keep the wood away from the bar. When I am done cutting, you could use my saw dust for multch...LOL

1 - 20 of 42 Posts