Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1025R TLB last month and just recently put the three point hitch on. I've found it's a pretty major hassle to swap between my box blade and tiller. I know the quick hitch will help with swapping between implements, but I'm also wondering if it will speed up the process of installing/removing the three point hitch when it comes time to reinstall the backhoe. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm also considering getting the Harbor Freight quick hitch rather than the JD iMatch. Are they functionally any different if I swap in a different top hook that extends further out from the frame?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Pat's Easy Change System (ECS) is the route that I went for a quick hitch some years ago. I would strongly consider the testimonials from their website and this forum while considering your choice. Many of the testimonials on this forum are mine, as I purchased my ECS after a failed experience with a Speeco QH.

Brian

I got a 1025R TLB last month and just recently put the three point hitch on. I've found it's a pretty major hassle to swap between my box blade and tiller. I know the quick hitch will help with swapping between implements, but I'm also wondering if it will speed up the process of installing/removing the three point hitch when it comes time to reinstall the backhoe. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm also considering getting the Harbor Freight quick hitch rather than the JD iMatch. Are they functionally any different if I swap in a different top hook that extends further out from the frame?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts

I have both the HF and JD quick hitches. I can tell you that there is a world of difference in the quality between them. However, the HF unit is much cheaper, both in price and quality. Your choice.

Dave

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have the HF unit. It works just fine for me at 1/4 the cost. After having just bought the 1025r TLB with a bunch of implements, I couldn't afford the green paint, as much as I wanted to. It does make it easier to swap between all my implements, but my Frontier box blade doesn't work with it due to gussets by the bottom pins.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts
Buy once Cry once :thumbup1gif:

I've learned that the hard way with a couple of things and will never buy simply for the better price again.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Pat's Easy Change System (ECS) is the route that I went for a quick hitch some years ago. I would strongly consider the testimonials from their website and this forum while considering your choice.

Brian

I had, or still have, a HF QH. My implements are a myriad of brands, none of them JD. I got sick of fighting with my implements, trying to get them to fit the HF QH. I bought the Pat's ECS and have never looked back.:good2:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I don't have 3-point implements mounted too often, so I can't rationalize a Quick Hitch. I'm still agile/healthy where I can get them mounted without issue. I do have all my implements on some form of wheel/caster storage device. Not only does that make it handy to move them around the shop, but it does make mounting them far easier. It also keeps them off the floor, which preserves paint and slows down rust.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
The OP’s question was about changing out the 3-point hitch when installing the backhoe. For that the Pat’s system would be great. With the iMatch hitch it would entail removing that plus removing the arms. With the Pat’s system it can stay in place - just remove the arms with them attached.

This thread should be in the implement section - not specific to sub-compacts.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
The OP’s question was about changing out the 3-point hitch when installing the backhoe. For that the Pat’s system would be great. With the iMatch hitch it would entail removing that plus removing the arms. With the Pat’s system it can stay in place - just remove the arms with them attached.

Thanks Stan. When I first read the OP's post, that was my first thought as well. But somewhere between reading the replies and typing my response, I lost that thought.

Reactions: mark02tj and PJR832

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
Thanks Stan. When I first read the OP's post, that was my first thought as well. But somewhere between reading the replies and typing my response, I lost that thought.
I just saw a battle of iMatch vs. Harbor Freight happening which was not the question at hand....

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts

This thread should be in the implement section - not specific to sub-compacts.

Being as I don't have a backhoe my reply was referring to this portion of the OP's post. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I thought there was someone on here that had a Heavy Hitch weight bracket and dolly, and would leave the entire 3 point assembly on said dolly when installing the backhoe.
Maybe I'm dreaming though. If not, that would be an option (granted, one that requires buying a quick hitch, heavy hitch, and dolly, but that's what we're here for, spending money! :gizmo: )

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
I thought there was someone on here that had a Heavy Hitch weight bracket and dolly, and would leave the entire 3 point assembly on said dolly when installing the backhoe.
Maybe I'm dreaming though. If not, that would be an option (granted, one that requires buying a quick hitch, heavy hitch, and dolly, but that's what we're here for, spending money! )
I believe Tractor Time with Tim did that. But I recall he just left the quick hitch attached to the heavy hitch. I don't think he had the lower 3PH arms attached.

When you think about it, leaving the lower arms attached would just likely cause problems as they would stick out and get in the way. I also believe having them already hooked to the quick hitch would make it difficult to attach and remove them from the tractor. Not only would the quick hitch be in the way but the added weight would make moving the arms to get them attached almost impossible.

While the quick hitch will definitely help with removing and attaching implements, I don't think it will aid in removing/attaching the 3PH assembly when the backhoe is used.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
The only reason I ever take my QH off is to use an auger. So I do the same using the Heavy Hitch weight bracket cart. Weight bracket w/ weights, quick hitch, and top link all come off at once supported by the HH cart. I don't have a backhoe so I can't comment on the lift arms.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have a backhoe, and I have an iMatch.
It takes literally less than 5 minutes to remove the iMatch and the 3 point arms in order to install the backhoe. If it takes longer than that, you are doing it wrong. Believe me, I am no expert in this, so if I can do it quickly, so can you.

Reactions: mike01 and PJR832

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have four types of hitch systems on four tractors,,

1) extendable hitch arms,, (Tractor - 584 IH)

2) Pats System (Tractor - 4105 JD)

3) Harbor Freight Quick Hitch (Tractor - 650 JD

4) Good Old Fashioned Standard Lift Arms (Tractor 855 JD)

By FAR, the extendable lift arms is the best system.
No changes to implements are needed,
also,, alignment of the tractor to the implement is far less critical.

I flail mowed with my JD 390 mower this week, I do not think I could hook the flail mower to a tractor without extendable arms,,
with less than a half dozen trips up and down from the tractor seat.

Even with 2 people, the hook up of the flail without the extendable arms would be dangerous.

To me, the Pats system is far better than the quick hitch, because the system works with a rear finish mower, without mower modifications.

The HF QH is only used with the rake, as the rake is the only attachment that I have changed to suit the quick hitch.

The standard arms on the JD 855 is only used with the RFM.
In the three summers we have had the 855, no other attachment has been connected to the standard lift arms,

So, I have listed my preferences of the systems as I prefer them,, 1), 2), 3), 4), with 1) being FAR superior to the others,,,

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a QH and this question has been on my mind for awhile. Why not make the hooks CAT1 size? I would say most implements have CAT1 lift pins (at least for our size tractors) already so why fool around with the bushings. Just make a CAT1 QH already geez. Does anybody have an idea why these QH's use CAT3 size hooks because they aren't rated to lift CAT3 sized implements? Thx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts