Green Tractor Talk banner

Thinking about an X740

10K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  DRobinson 
#1 ·
I really like my X540 but I am in the process of increasing my lawn size again ( to about 2 1/2 acres). I have been thinking about selling the 540 and buying a 740 with a 7iron deck. I like the idea of a diesel with its efficiency and longevity. The local dealer who has been great to deal with has one in stock that I have been looking at.
My question is whether to go with the tried and true current style or hold off until the '13's come out. A new style is kind of appealing because, well, it is new. Autoconnect means nothing to me as the mower will stay on. Also the notion of first year bugs has occurred to me (ie 1 series growing pains).

Any thoughts on this?

#3 ·
why not get a 7 iron for your 2520?
I was thinking that too,but understand when you say
Autoconnect means nothing to me as the mower will stay on.
The X is going to be a "dedicated mower"? Nice to have that option,but for how little the effort is to switch out your 2520 for grass cutting,I would think the cost of that X would get you a whole boatload of goodies for your CUT!:thumbup1gif:

Greg

#4 ·
Depending on the land the 2520 might be to much tractor for 2 1/2 acres. I would much rather have a X7 series for mowing my 3 acres as the 2305 is a little bigger than I like. It's just the other duties that make the 2305 worth having.

That said I wouldn't be afraid of the new model as JD usually has the tractors pretty close the first year out. Nothing they cant fix anyway. Course if you don't need the auto-connect then you might be able to save some $$$ going with a 2012.

The x740 is a beautiful machine regardless.

#5 ·
Depending on the land the 2520 might be to much tractor for 2 1/2 acres.
Rich,you may have a point there,especially if there are "obstacles" and it's not a wide open 2-1/2 acres.
In my case, all the grass (about 2 acres) around the house is cut with the 316.

Greg

#6 ·
I like buying the tried and true...let someone else work the new model year bugs out. The X740 is what I would buy if I could.

Reactions: TractorNoob
#7 ·
Owning a X728 I'm biased. My 728 is a workhorse and takes everything I throw at it. Even being a JD, I'm sure the "new" 2013s will have some bugs to work out...

#10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. To answer a few of the questions:

1) I originally decided against a MMM on the 2520 because of the type of lot (trees, shrubs, flower beds, etc). I tried my brother's B2920 with a MMM which solidified my decision. The X540 with its 54" deck is quicker at getting the job done and the cut is just as good.
2) I have R4s on the 2520 ... not the best for a lawn that is a bit wet in some spots.
3) My son may be moving into my general neighbourhood. If I had the X740, a blower on the front might help with his 400' driveway during the winter. Future thinking. :laugh:

I still haven't landed on a '12 or '13. Like I said before, the new style is desireable but the current model is bullet proof from what I hear. And maybe I should haul my horns in and be satisfied with the X540 as it is a real nice unit. But borrowing a line from Apocolypse Now ..."there is nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning" or in this case diesel fumes. :mocking:

#11 ·
..."there is nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning" or in this case diesel fumes. :mocking:[/QUOTE]

I agree. That has been discussed previously, at length, on this forum. There is no better smell.

Don

#12 ·
Has anybody found any more info on the 2013s? I went to Deere's website and requested literature but nothing has arrived as yet. I have rumours that they are lighter, cheaper, etc but nothing factual.

#15 ·
If I was in a situation to purchase a new machine purely for mowing I'd look at a zero turn too. Had a loaner while my tractor was in the shop and absolutely loved it. It was the Z720 with a 7 Iron. What a machine.

#14 ·
Pretty well decided on a 2012. I like the idea of tried and true. I also like the fact that the 2012s are beefier. I do like the looks of the '13s but the '12s are nice as well.

#16 ·
Zero turns are great for mowing. But, thats all most of them can do. A garden tractor or subcut can mow, remove snow, move dirt, til, etc.

This is why I got a 1026R over zero turn.

#17 ·
Just about ready to pull the trigger on a 2012. Did some research and did not like what I was hearing on the 2013's. Got a price all agreed upon but now the salesman says that he can't put HDAPs on it although that is what we originally agreed to. Seems like he should be able to cover the tires.

#18 ·
Salesman is moving on the tires. Almost there. :yahoo:

#19 ·
Good luck! An X740 is about as nice of a GT you can get:thumbup1gif:

#20 ·
Deal completed. 2012 X740, brush guard and 60D deck to be delivered November 5th. :laugh:

#22 ·
Congrats on the new tractor!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: New tractor! :dance::dance::dance:

#23 ·
Got home tonight to find the X740 delivered. I mowed for about 20 minutes just to try it out. First impressions: smooth ride, nice cut, quieter than I had expected and very little vibration. I am going to like this tractor. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.