Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about buying a Johndeere x590. From all that I've read and reviews it seems to be a winner. I bought a Kubota z411 a bit over a year ago. Well I kinda have buyer's remorse so to speak. Some things I hate about it. First of all it scalps my yard In a few places. I do have a few dips and uneven places in my yard. On flat land it mows great. The other thing when I mow I get covered in grass and dust. It looks like I've been using a weed eater when I'm through. The deck is adjusted properly. I've talked to other Kubota owners and their's is the same way. The nature of the beast I reckon. I've owned a Johndeere rider for 11 year's. Sold it to a coworker a few month's ago. Never had any trouble other than a battery. My dealer has one for $6,669.00 That's before taxes. Do you all think that's a decent price? I don't need any attachments Just a mower. I like the power steering and fuel injection. All replys are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Take the plunge, you wont regret it one iota.
I bought mine almost 2 years ago and I'm more than pleased with it. I only have around 40 hours on her, as I'm still using my 15 year old GT235 on a regular basis. Just kinda' holding back on using the new X590 as I really bought it as a "permanent backup" for if and when the old GT235 finally gives out.
I got the 54" deck, along with the 48" snow blade, tire chains, rear weight kit, and blade angle kit, and the front brush bumper.
My pictures on my computer are messed up or I would post some for you, but there are some I've already posted on this site already that you can search for and pull up from the site archives.
Like I said, go ahead and spring for it. No "buyers remorse" on this end.
I see that you're new to the forum, great folks here and fantastic site supporters who offer plenty of OEM and off-market items.
Good luck with your new purchase.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
From what I've read many that have the x590 are very happy with them.I know you said your just going to mow with it,but it does have some attachments for it that others brands just don't even make anymore.
Look at all the mower options that are available like mulching,bagging,and dethatching. My 345 will some day get replaced with the x590.

·
Super Moderator
2,154 Posts
Recently the Mrs. and I have been window shopping for a new lawn tractor. Long story short, I thought the X590 would fit the bill, but when we looked at them at the dealer she thought the X590 was a little too big, otherwise we would be getting it. We've decided on the X390 instead. Due to some other reasons, we haven't gotten it yet, but hopefully soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found a Johndeere x540 2013 model. It has a 48 inch cut 113 hrs $4700.00 It's a one owner unit and still looks new. It would save me me a few thousand going used. I don't know much about this model. Just reading some of the reviews has me hesitant. Some of the problems I've read are smoking at start up. Some people have had the bolt break that goes to the crank shaft. Talking about the bolt that goes in the clutch that attaches to the crank shaft. When engaging the blades the engine would stall. Other owners with lots of hrs have been pleased with their units. Decisions Decisions.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been researching everything i could find on the x590 as we are in the process of buying 2.5 acres in the country. The land is flat with some rutting. Mine will be mostly used for cutting, pulling a cart for garden and landscape work. I wont be getting any snow removal options. From everything i have been able to find the x590 is a very capable machine for what i will use it for and then some. I talked to a dealer and they told me it's intended to mow 5-7 acres a week with a 25 year life expectancy provided it's cared for properly. I'll be watching this thread.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
Recently the Mrs. and I have been window shopping for a new lawn tractor. Long story short, I thought the X590 would fit the bill, but when we looked at them at the dealer she thought the X590 was a little too big, otherwise we would be getting it. We've decided on the X390 instead. Due to some other reasons, we haven't gotten it yet, but hopefully soon.
That's odd as the X390 and X590 use the same frame. Although the X590 has rear tires that are 2" taller.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
I've been researching everything i could find on the x590 as we are in the process of buying 2.5 acres in the country. The land is flat with some rutting. Mine will be mostly used for cutting, pulling a cart for garden and landscape work. I wont be getting any snow removal options. From everything i have been able to find the x590 is a very capable machine for what i will use it for and then some. I talked to a dealer and they told me it's intended to mow 5-7 acres a week with a 25 year life expectancy provided it's cared for properly. I'll be watching this thread.
Where on earth do the dealers come up with this stuff? The X570, X580 and X590 are all capable of mowing the same amount of grass. As for life expectancy, that is anyone's guess. My old single cylinder 175 Hydro was still running like new when I sold it after 25 years. I can only hope my current X500 can last that long.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
Found a Johndeere x540 2013 model. It has a 48 inch cut 113 hrs $4700.00 It's a one owner unit and still looks new. It would save me me a few thousand going used. I don't know much about this model. Just reading some of the reviews has me hesitant. Some of the problems I've read are smoking at start up. Some people have had the bolt break that goes to the crank shaft. Talking about the bolt that goes in the clutch that attaches to the crank shaft. When engaging the blades the engine would stall. Other owners with lots of hrs have been pleased with their units. Decisions Decisions.
The smoking at startup isn't a problem if it goes away right away. Almost all of the Kawasaki engines do this. My new X500 will billow smoke like a PT boat if I choke it hard at startup. The key is to first crank a second or two with no choke and then burp the choke. It then starts right up with zero smoke.

I never heard of the crank bolt problem. The configuration is the same as nearly every machine out there that uses an electric PTO clutch. Maybe replace it with a new bolt when you get it. I'm sure the bolt is only a few dollars. Don't overtighten it.

On most tractors the engine will stall when starting the blades if it is not wide-open throttle - especially when cold. After the engine and deck is warmed up you can typically start the blades at near idle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where on earth do the dealers come up with this stuff? The X570, X580 and X590 are all capable of mowing the same amount of grass. As for life expectancy, that is anyone's guess. My old single cylinder 175 Hydro was still running like new when I sold it after 25 years. I can only hope my current X500 can last that long.
Truth be told, my impression was that i knew more about the machine than he did. He had no idea about the forums for deere tractors or the amount of info them.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
Truth be told, my impression was that i knew more about the machine than he did. He had no idea about the forums for deere tractors or the amount of info them.
That's pretty common these days. Spend a week on the forums, read the available on-line literature and review the on-line owner's manuals and you will be MILES ahead of the typical L&G salesman. In their defense it is difficult. They usually aren't enthusiasts and have dozens upon dozens of different machines to keep track of - which change every year or so.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well since nobody has mentioned the obligatory if you like the x590 you probably need an x7xx.

I was dead set on getting the x590 for the EFI and power steering. That was untill I found out I could get the x738 for about 10 dollars more per month @ 0% finacing. Even the x730 will get you everything the 590 has and way more. Worth considering if you are buying new from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
I know I wouldn't want to mow 5 to 7 acres of grass per week with an x5xx series machine. If you have that much grass, mow it with a Zero Turn mower and get the garden tractor or SCUT or CUT to do all your other stuff. I mow 7 to 10 acres per week and you want at least a 60" deck for that much mowing. I have a neighbor who mows his 7 acre lawn with a 42" zero turn mower and he spends at least 5 hours to mow each time. Sitting on any machine for 5 hours straight is a long time......especially when you do it at least once a week, and more often in the prime growing season.

I find it amazing the salesman would say the x5XX would mow 7 to 10 acres per week and last 25 years with proper maintenance. I am a Deere fan and multiple machine owner, but the reality is that mowing that much lawn weekly would equate to at least 5 to 6 hours of mowing time, assuming you do that 7 months a year, that's 30 weeks a year, putting 6 hours per week or 180 hours a year (that's a LOT of mowing if you haven't done it) times 25 years would mean nearly 4,500 hours of machine use.....and that assumes NO OTHER USE than mowing during the year. Most people use these machines most of the months of the year, to some extent.

Never going to happen on that machine without extensive repairs in the later years. I have seen diesels go 5,000 and even 7,000 hours, but there isn't a Kawasaki gas engine I know of that would last 4,700 hours without at least two major overhauls, possibly even 3. Reality is the engine would be replaced after one rebuild, most likely.

I have a 455 I bought new in 1996 and it has about 2,700 hours on it. That is a well built tractor and it's been maintained well and still, 2,700 hours is quite a bit of time. At 4,500 hours the machine is very worn. Needs new steering parts, major components need to be rebuilt.

To tell new customers it would mow 7 to 10 acres per week and last 25 years is being extremely optimistic. To be honest, it's pretty unrealistic and very unlikely.........

·
Super Moderator
2,154 Posts
That's odd as the X390 and X590 use the same frame. Although the X590 has rear tires that are 2" taller.
AND.....

SHE says....

(need I say more?) :laugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The used x540 is tempting. But the x590 will be new with a Warrenty. I have a about two acres to mow. Just got off the zero turn covered in grass and dirt. I have two ditches in front of my house. And the zero turn cuts it very well. I wouldn't do it on a rider because of the incline. I'll make a decision I'm a few wks. What's the difference between the x540 and the x590. I know both have PS and power deck lift. Are both the frames the same. I noticed also on the x540 people are advertising 24 25 26 hp. I thought the x540 only came with 26hp liquid cooled. Y'all edumuhcate me.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
The used x540 is tempting. But the x590 will be new with a Warrenty. I have a about two acres to mow. Just got off the zero turn covered in grass and dirt. I have two ditches in front of my house. And the zero turn cuts it very well. I wouldn't do it on a rider because of the incline. I'll make a decision I'm a few wks. What's the difference between the x540 and the x590. I know both have PS and power deck lift. Are both the frames the same. I noticed also on the x540 people are advertising 24 25 26 hp. I thought the x540 only came with 26hp liquid cooled. Y'all edumuhcate me.
Advertised as 26HP.

Kawasaki FD731V

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Well since nobody has mentioned the obligatory if you like the x590 you probably need an x7xx.

I was dead set on getting the x590 for the EFI and power steering. That was untill I found out I could get the x738 for about 10 dollars more per month @ 0% finacing. Even the x730 will get you everything the 590 has and way more. Worth considering if you are buying new from a dealer.
Same situation for me. Was ready for the x590 then found out for a few bucks more I could be on an x738. Then i said oh just a couple more and get the x758....I have the x758 now LOL

·
Registered
570 Posts
Same situation for me. Was ready for the x590 then found out for a few bucks more I could be on an x738. Then i said oh just a couple more and get the x758....I have the x758 now LOL
As was "identically" the same for me. The more I was educated, the more I wanted the next tier up.
If there was an x759, I'd have gotten that. And I have a flat 3/4 acre. It's the old mans quad :mocking:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts