Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering moving up from my trusty 2305 to the 2520. Can anyone help me resist? Tell me lots of bad things about them, please.:p

My only real concern about moving up is mowing my hilly land, cross camber, and the higher center of gravity. Maybe I could come up with some ballast outriggers.:laugh:

With the 2305, I can literally mow cross camber to somewhere around 40 degrees. I keep meaning to get photo evidence as I'm sure this sounds absurd.

When I bought the 2305, it was because our 318 was 20+ years old (and still going on a part time basis). I looked forward to watching the brand new one grow old under my pampering care but now I am finding that I could use the higher capacities (speed/power) of a larger tractor plus I'm getting a little tired of always worrying about the hydraulic filter and trans fan on my wooded land.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
I say go for it!

You can get spacers for the rear wheels to aid in lessening the pucker factor-and the increasing lift capacity will help moving that truckload of forks around!

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just talking to a salesman about the idea and he mentioned that using it for mid mounted mowing isn't that popular (???) and that it isn't very convenient to switch to the backhoe from the mower.

Side note: I'm planning to get it with the 200CX loader, 46 backhoe, and 62D OnRamp mower. Bucket sizes TBD.

Not only does the mower have to be removed, but "much" of the hardware that attaches the mower to the tractor has to come off to mount the 46 backhoe. :cry:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just traded my 2305 in for a 2520, and should get it this week just waiting for the dealer to install the curtis cab.I decided not to get the mmm deck and instead bought a x530 just for mowing. My issue was the weight of the tractor. I Mow about 3 acre's one steady incline and a few areas that at times are a little soft. The 2305 was too heavy at times. I've got 30 acre's of wooded land that I was always afraid of taking the 2305 into just because of the fan and filter. But I guest that I wanted the bigger tractor for the larger frame size, weight and tire size. We usually get around 200'' plus of snow a year and those smaller tires on the 2305 always worried me, though I never got stuck. I use a front blower and didn't have a fel however I did get one with this tractor along with the the newer 54'' snowblower. We talked a couple of weeks ago threw emailed as I'm going to buy a set of your forks,probably around may. Well anyways good luck on your decession making, this was why I decided on upgrading at least that's the story that I sold to my wife.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Castiman,

It's great to hear from you and welcome to the forum!

Today, we took a 2520 for a roll around, then a 2320. I only got to drive them on flat mud, unfortunately. I felt more at home on the 2320 but the hydraulic flow rate is significantly higher on the 2520, a big factor for me. I noticed the differential lock lever was hard to reach on the 2520, but was in a natural position on the 2320.

Another interesting point was that with the 2320 the independent mower lift linkage can stay in place to mount the backhoe. On the 2520, many bits have to come off, even requiring tools according to the JD website. After experiencing the 2520 though, it is pretty obvious that it has no business mowing my treacherous hills. It is just too large where the 2320 could just barely get away with it.

It's funny you mentioned the x530 because we are thinking of doing the same. I've been using the "swiss army" 2305 for every task for three years now and we are thinking that it may finally be time to diversify and let the tractor be a tractor and the mower be a mower, especially given the cost of the MMM deck and other associated hardware.

The x500 series are very nice, but too nice for our needs. We'll be weighing out a "hers" x300 series machine of some sort. If we do that, I would really like to plunge head first into the 2520 for its relative power and speed. I can't see myself outgrowing that machine for a very long time. We'll see how it goes, if at all. I am still thankful to have the 2305, as always.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Well Chris, that is what I was going to recommend, two machines. Although I was going to suggest you just add the 2520 to the heard. I mean after all the the 2305 does a great job mowing just make the 2520 your dirt machine. All attachments except the MMM can be used on both machines. Hey just thinkin', I know I wouldn't be without either of my machines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run my 2520 on about a 20 degee max slope, and that is all I would want to do with it. As it is, my 72 inch rear mower drags the rear of the machine down the hill on the slopes. Makes for some interesting NASCAR power slide counter-steer techniques....

Here is a pic of my machine on the 20 degree slope with the MMM attached. I don't have the independent lift, so there is a little less "stuff" to remove to mount the backhoe and I don't really need any tools, except a plastic mallet to tap the front mounting pins into place....

Regarding your bucket decision, I wouldn't be afraid to go with the 61. I have that on mine and have never regretted it, particularly when plowing snow and spreading gravel.

Attachments

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Runner, how do you like the 46 backhoe? The specs aren't that much different than the 260 on my 2305, surprisingly. I had figured it was going to be as much of a jump as going from the 2305 to the 2520 but I'm not sure that's the case going from the 260 to the 46 hoes.

Regarding the 2320 vs the 2520, I'm now thinking that I could manage with the 2520 if I get turf tires instead of the R4's, even though I naturally prefer the R4's. Frankly, I do spend a lot more time on lawn and asphalt than in the brown stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Regarding the 2320 vs the 2520, I'm now thinking that I could manage with the 2520 if I get turf tires instead of the R4's, even though I naturally prefer the R4's. Frankly, I do spend a lot more time on lawn and asphalt than in the brown stuff.
Chris,

I run R4s on the lawn and have no issues. The thing that is nice is that when I do a little dirt work I have the needed traction.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Randy,

I got R4's on the 2305 for the same reason, hoping they would play nice enough with my lawn. Unfortunately, our sloping, shady, tree canvassed ground tends to remain wet and even the 2305 R4's have made a mess from time to time. I've tried to develop habits of not turning any more sharply than necessary or making extra loops and whatnot to keep the tires from rototilling.

I've never been a fan of turf tires on tractors which are trained to attack dirt but maybe I need to broaden my horizons a bit on this and learn to like the toothless look.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Also Chris, don't forget the fact that turfs can also tear up a lawn given the right conditions. I understand your situation, but have seen turfs rip out grass the minute the wheel starts to spin. Keeping the wheel from spinning is probably the most important thing reguardless of the tire type.

·
Registered
75 Posts
"Runner, how do you like the 46 backhoe? The specs aren't that much different than the 260 on my 2305, surprisingly. I had figured it was going to be as much of a jump as going from the 2305 to the 2520 but I'm not sure that's the case going from the 260 to the 46 hoes."

I like the 46 backhoe, but this is the only one I've used, so don't have anything to compare it with. Of course, could always use more hydro power for popping stumps, but I also realize that you have to get a BIG machine before it will just be able to pull a stump with one swipe.

It has done what I need it to do (digging up stumps, rocks, general dirt work...) and I don't think it's overly cumbersome to install/remove. I made a dolly for mine which makes the process a lot easier and helps with storage. Overall, I'm happy I bought the hoe and really like the knowledge that I have it when I need it.

Attachments

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Runner!

Hey All,

I finally got some bottom line numbers after taking a close look at what is needed to move attachments from the 2305 to the 2520 and I also did some serious "digging", ha ha, on the issue of changing out the 62D mowing deck to the 46 backhoe in use. It's pretty ugly, especially with the Independent Lift kit. All of the hanger brackets have to come out, the hydraulic cylinder, as well as its mounting axle, which requires removing brass bolts. This isn't what I was expecting to be facing. The appeal of the OnRamp deck is dimishing after looking at all of the work that follows.

It's amazing how the 2305 can hang both the backhoe and the mower simultaneously but the larger 2X20's can't. I never would have thunk. If JD was able to weave in the 260 subframe on the 2305, I would think the 2520 would have been a breeze for the 46 backhoe.:crazy:

I am now looking much more seriously at a two machine option, especially given the overall cost of the 62D mowing setup. It's peculiar how JD can build an entire lawn tractor (with mowing deck) for the same cost as just the 62D mowing deck and its attaching parts. Maybe it's a sales quantity/volume thing. :unknown:

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
X300

Chris, my old 2210 mowed like a champ. When I went to a 1026 with the same size deck it was terrible in comparison. Maybe the r4 tires didn't help. So I got the dealer to take the deck back and got a X300 with the Kawasaki engine. It mows better than the d100 series, but is not even close to my old 2210. Oh well, what can one expect for $3000. Gas engines just aren't the same. Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 4110, 04 model with 360 hours. I checked with the local JD store. They would give me a whopping 8600 on trade ( tractor & 5' heavy duty deck ) towards a full retail 2520 they still had in stock. Not real interested in tractor alone trade. For the couple extra hp I will keep the 4110 and all the attachments because this is the only plus ... the couple hp. Presently it does what I need. With the addition of a hard cab ( cab and one half, room for my four leg friend ) I think I am set in the world of JD for a while.
If I was desperate for more power I know the fuel delivery system could be tweaked. Fuel usage would increase as would engine life expectancy diminish. Like I said .. happy to be where I am.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, this is an old thread. Seems like 20 years ago.

Agent blue, there is somebody here on GTT looking for a 2520 leftover. Maybe you could point him toward this dealer?

Without knowing your overall setting and needs, if I were in your position, I'd either stay with your 4110 or jump up to a 3520 or 3720 if you are going to put yourself through the expense. I submit that the 2520 would be too much of a lateral move. As it turns out, going from the 2305 to the 2520 wasn't much of a jump as the 2520 doesn't really do that much more (and is actually under powered in my opinion). No regrets though, when all is said and done, the 2520 is a better financial deal than we had on the 2305 so it was worthwhile. Plus, I got the peace of mind of better ground clearance and several other features out of it.

Boatdesigner, it's too bad the 1026 doesn't work for your mowing needs (and surprising) but it's just further proof that everyone's situation is different and there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all when it comes to tractors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts