Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2 years ago I bought my 3038E and with it, I bought a Frontier AF11F Snow Blade. I have used it for only about 3 hours total and I'm not happy with it's performance. We don't get huge amounts of snowfall here, about 40" average annually I believe. I have a gravel driveway and previously used my quad with Moose blade with great success.

I like to keep my driveway clear and with the large AF11F, anything under 3" I can't touch. I've tried fussing with the curl amount but it's like the actual geometry is off. Loader arms in float, if I curl back enough so I rest on the shoes (which are spaced full out might I add), the mount plate is lower than the cutting edge. Then I tried curling forward to move the mount plate up and them I'm constantly fiddling with the joystick (up, down) to prevent dig in and that got annoying quickly. I don't want to put a PVC tube on the cutting edge because I also plow the road along my mailbox, driveway approach and the side street intersection.

With my quad and Moose blade, I'm able to drop the blade and go. Yeah, I can't move as much as the AF11F at one time but the amount of time plowing is about the same because I'm not fighting the loader/geometry issues.

What say you GTT? Any input?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,807 Posts
I actually had my moose plow welded on a JDQA plate. The only thing so far I’ve found I don’t like as much as plowing with the mule is the extra weight. Now that the ground has frozen it shouldn’t be as bad but man have ripped up some sod already.
I am curious to see some responses for helpful hints on FEL mounted plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I feel there is ZERO chance that a loader arm mounted blade will make you happy,,, PERIOD.

The entire system is way too heavy for gravel,, but, it would be perfect for pavement.

I plow a gravel driveway,, in 30 years,,
there has been only a dozen times my loader was part of the snow removal.

The trick to small snow amounts on gravel is a VERY light blade.
Heck, there are YouTube videos of plywood blades doing a perfect job,, in 3 inches of snow.

Reactions: JDSwan87 and PJR832

·
Registered
700 Posts
I feel there is ZERO chance that a loader arm mounted blade will make you happy,,, PERIOD.

The entire system is way too heavy for gravel,, but, it would be perfect for pavement.

Heck, there are YouTube videos of plywood blades doing a perfect job,, in 3 inches of snow.

It's not that it's too heavy, it's that there's too much flex in the two main loader arms. One side twists down in float, ever so slightly, and you've now buried your cutting edge.

I'm going through that same non-sense with my HLA snowpusher. I've got it about 75% resolved with custom skid shoes (4" wide on each side), I think the rubber cutting edge will bring that up to somewhere around 90%.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I tend to agree CADplans, I feel the blade always wants to dig in no matter what I do.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree that it takes some fussing with the loader mounted blade to get it to work well on gravel. The two things that I did with my setup to get it to work better is to add a 2" diameter steel conduit 'edge softener' and paint markings on the bucket position indicator. The conduit lets the blade scrape the small area of concrete clear but doesn't dig in the gravel drive (as long as the bucket is at the right setting). Here is a link to a description: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/145394-3r-loader-mount-plow-size.html#post2505906
I had to mark the ideal position of the bucket cylinders on the bucket position indicator because I couldn't judge from the seat what angle it was making with the ground. It did take some adjustment but it seems to work pretty well now.
I don't know how long the thin steel of the conduit will last but it's only tack welded to the blade, so replacing it should be fairly easy.

Ken

·
Registered
23,258 Posts
Plowing a gravel driveway is tough - especially before it freezes. It takes some trial and error to find the best way to do it - each of us seems to find a different implement or technique.

I remember the first few years here - many days in the spring raking gravel out of the grass.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
So 2 years ago I bought my 3038E and with it, I bought a Frontier AF11F Snow Blade. I have used it for only about 3 hours total and I'm not happy with it's performance. We don't get huge amounts of snowfall here, about 40" average annually I believe. I have a gravel driveway and previously used my quad with Moose blade with great success.

I like to keep my driveway clear and with the large AF11F, anything under 3" I can't touch. I've tried fussing with the curl amount but it's like the actual geometry is off. Loader arms in float, if I curl back enough so I rest on the shoes (which are spaced full out might I add), the mount plate is lower than the cutting edge. Then I tried curling forward to move the mount plate up and them I'm constantly fiddling with the joystick (up, down) to prevent dig in and that got annoying quickly. I don't want to put a PVC tube on the cutting edge because I also plow the road along my mailbox, driveway approach and the side street intersection.

With my quad and Moose blade, I'm able to drop the blade and go. Yeah, I can't move as much as the AF11F at one time but the amount of time plowing is about the same because I'm not fighting the loader/geometry issues.

What say you GTT? Any input?
Having a blade for your quad you know the difference. Sell it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

Yup, that pretty much sums up the frustration of a loader plow, little changes either have no effect or it completely digs in and regrades the soil. I had a Curtis loader plow on a 2520, even tried it on my 3320, my best day with it was the day I loaded it into a co-workers pickup and watched it drive down the road and out of my life. He ended up selling it the next year and I see it on CL from time to time.

If you have a solution that works for you, sell the blade. If you need to replace it with something on the tractor, get a snow push. Not the big Deere ones though, they are very heavy compared to the CTA versions. The long skid shoes and rubber "cutting edge" will be a lot better on the uneven surface.

Tom

·
Registered
232 Posts
OP has this priced right. As the owner of the same plow on a 3520, I have nothing but praise for this setup. I was skeptical when I bought it as part of a package deal- heck, even listed it for sale before I used it- because of all of the negative talk about loader mounted plows. Once I used it one time, I was sold on it.

For me it comes down to this, and I'm not trying to sound crude here. If you have a deft hand at the controls you will love it. If you don't, and just want to put it down and go, you will hate it. I never use float as it seems to load the front better without, always am adjusting and tweaking it, and the harder you run the tractor the better it will work. Just my 2 cents. While we don't get tons of snow here, I wouldn't be without it. I have a rear blower too, but the blade is where it's at.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP has this priced right. As the owner of the same plow on a 3520, I have nothing but praise for this setup. I was skeptical when I bought it as part of a package deal- heck, even listed it for sale before I used it- because of all of the negative talk about loader mounted plows. Once I used it one time, I was sold on it.

For me it comes down to this, and I'm not trying to sound crude here. If you have a deft hand at the controls you will love it. If you don't, and just want to put it down and go, you will hate it. I never use float as it seems to load the front better without, always am adjusting and tweaking it, and the harder you run the tractor the better it will work. Just my 2 cents. While we don't get tons of snow here, I wouldn't be without it. I have a rear blower too, but the blade is where it's at.
Thanks for the kind words! I hope to sell It. I also have it listed on Toledo Craigslist. Less for a GTT member....

·
Registered
232 Posts
It will sell. Just because you don't care for it, doesn't mean the next guy will not like it. I felt the need to speak up because I do like mine that much. Everyone likes what they like and a loader mounted plow is no different. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts