Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 x738 with 45 hours. It has a 60hc mower deck with mulch kit installed, click-n-go bracket with 6 suitcase weights, 54" plow and also add armrest to the seat. I was thinking of adding a 3 point hitch and the little buck loader to the x738. I was wondering if I'm better off trading for a 1025r instead? Only things that I think I get keep for the 1025r from the x738 is the 54" plow and suitcase weights.
Another thing is that I never owned anything diesel before. How does the diesel engine do in cold winter starting? Do I need to treat the fuel? Anything else that I need to know about diesel engines?
I would want the loader, front wheel fenders and 60 inch mower deck with mulch kit on the 1025r. The John Deere dealer is stopping by tomorrow morning to look at my x738 for trade. Any advice on trade in value or what should I ask for to make the deal happen? I still owe $9500 on the x738 with Deere 0% financing.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
I have a 2016 x738 with 45 hours. It has a 60hc mower deck with mulch kit installed, click-n-go bracket with 6 suitcase weights, 54" plow and also add armrest to the seat. I was thinking of adding a 3 point hitch and the little buck loader to the x738. I was wondering if I'm better off trading for a 1025r instead? Only things that I think I get keep for the 1025r from the x738 is the 54" plow and suitcase weights.
Another thing is that I never owned anything diesel before. How does the diesel engine do in cold winter starting? Do I need to treat the fuel? Anything else that I need to know about diesel engines?
I would want the loader, front wheel fenders and 60 inch mower deck with mulch kit on the 1025r. The John Deere dealer is stopping by tomorrow morning to look at my x738 for trade. Any advice on trade in value or what should I ask for to make the deal happen? I still owe $9500 on the x738 with Deere 0% financing.

I will be the odd man out, and tell you to think long and hard on trading. You will probably take a big hit on the trade vs. what you owe. I would add the little buck loader and 3PH to the X738. If you are like me, mowing is the biggest accumulators of hours on my machine. I you will find the X738 to be a better mowing machine.

Yes, you should treat the diesel fuel. I don't have any trouble starting my diesel in the winter. It is kept in my barn or garage, both of which are unheated.

Also unless things have changes, I don't believe there are front fenders for the 1 series. If there are, I want a set.

Good luck and have fun:good2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
My neighbor has the 1023r and I have the x730. Chatting about it the other day, he said he came from an x7 w/ aftermarket loader, plow and MMM. He said that the loader is far superior, its nice to have the 3ph; but he misses the x7 for the mow and comfort. He likened it to a Hard riding Truck vs. a mild mannered SUV. He doesnt use the PTO. It depends on what you need.

I dont need the 3ph or the PTO , so I am good with the x7 and Little Buck for mulch/gravel/loam work, and some light digging of topsoil.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There are millions of threads discussion x7-series versus 1-series pros and cons so I won't get into that again. But as far as the diesel goes I'll say that after two winters my x758 has given me zero problems related to cold starting. I keep it plugged into a battery tender in the winter. When I need to start it I just turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go out and bingo, it fires up quickly.

Only starting issue I have had was after changing the fuel filter (and then again after having to remove the filter housing to fix a leak). Man, that engine takes a long time to get started after opening the fuel system like that. And yes, I did use the manual priming pump.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I traded a 2007 - X748 on my 2013 - 1025R. I got a good price for my trade in when I bought my 1025R but then mine was a few years old.

Diesel is the way to go. They all have glow plugs so cold starts is not problem.

Concerning treating fuel, if you temps get below 25 degrees, then you should treat with something like Howes diesel treatment.

Fuel usage with a diesel is crazy better than a gasoline engine.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
Owing $9500.00 on your tractor, I'd keep it. You won't get much more for it on trade if you do get more then you owe. I'd see what he says and go from there. Also depends on how much you want the 1025 and how much money you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
It can't hurt to let the dealer run the numbers and see how much they offer you, I was very surprised at what my dealer gave me for my 1023 to trade up to the new 2025R. However, i agree with some others, unless you are going to do a fair amount of 3 point work I'd stick the X series if the main task is mowing and snow removal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will see what numbers the dealer will give me tomorrow. I mainly use my x738 for mowing and to plow snow in the winter. I mainly wanted the little buck loader to move rock and loose dirt around. I figured that I could get more work done with the 1025r loader. I wanted the 3 point hitch with some attachment to replace the spike harrow that I have been dragging behind the x738. Some the bigger dirt moving jobs might be too big for the 1025r anyway. I have been hiring skid loader work for those jobs in the past.
I may be better off keeping the x738 if most people think it is better for mowing than the 1025r.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I will see what numbers the dealer will give me tomorrow. I mainly use my x738 for mowing and to plow snow in the winter. I mainly wanted the little buck loader to move rock and loose dirt around. I figured that I could get more work done with the 1025r loader. I wanted the 3 point hitch with some attachment to replace the spike harrow that I have been dragging behind the x738. Some the bigger dirt moving jobs might be too big for the 1025r anyway. I have been hiring skid loader work for those jobs in the past.
I may be better off keeping the x738 if most people think it is better for mowing than the 1025r.
You really have to look at what you will use a FEL for. Everyone is different and has different needs. I use my FEL for moving big heavy stuff more than I ever dig in the dirt.

As for snow work and your blade. I don't think the quick hitch from a X7xx will fit a 1025R. So you will need one of those. Personally I would look at a blade that mounts to a FEL over doing the blade on the front of the machine. We may get more snow than you do but it makes it easier for stacking up the snow. 3pt can be added to a X Series but you have limited options on the FEL front.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
I traded a 2007 - X748 on my 2013 - 1025R. I got a good price for my trade in when I bought my 1025R but then mine was a few years old.

Diesel is the way to go. They all have glow plugs so cold starts is not problem.

Concerning treating fuel, if you temps get below 25 degrees, then you should treat with something like Howes diesel treatment.

Fuel usage with a diesel is crazy better than a gasoline engine.
After I bought my first diesel tractor I will never go back to gas. I spent about $450.00 on fuel this 6 month long winter operating my 2017 JD4044M if it had been done by my MF135 1967 Gas Perkins it would be double that easy. I only need to do this for 30 more years to break even on fuel savings but the MF135 has nothing on the confert of my new 4044M tractor doing stuff. Can't take the money with you so blow it on a good tractor. Better return investment on your money then a $50,000.00 truck plus trailer to tow it around with. Winter starts no problem at all. Pre Heater light goes off hit the key it runs! Warm it up some first then put it to work.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
After I bought my first diesel tractor I will never go back to gas. I spent about $450.00 on fuel this 6 month long winter operating my 2017 JD4044M if it had been done by my MF135 1967 Gas Perkins it would be double that easy. I only need to do this for 30 more years to break even on fuel savings but the MF135 has nothing on the confert of my new 4044M tractor doing stuff. Can't take the money with you so blow it on a good tractor. Better return investment on your money then a $50,000.00 truck plus trailer to tow it around with. Winter starts no problem at all. Pre Heater light goes off hit the key it runs! Warm it up some first then put it to work.
Truer words have never be spoken.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
There are millions of threads discussion x7-series versus 1-series pros and cons so I won't get into that again. But as far as the diesel goes I'll say that after two winters my x758 has given me zero problems related to cold starting. I keep it plugged into a battery tender in the winter. When I need to start it I just turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go out and bingo, it fires up quickly.

Only starting issue I have had was after changing the fuel filter (and then again after having to remove the filter housing to fix a leak). Man, that engine takes a long time to get started after opening the fuel system like that. And yes, I did use the manual priming pump.

Rob
I have to agree with Big Blue on this. I just went through my first winter with my x758. I have a snow blower and only a one car garage so the wife ties it up on snowy days. As a result my tractor was put in the in-laws snowmobile trailer that is ready to be scrapped due to it's decaying chassis.I always put Diesel Kleen in for fuel treatment for summer. I added winter stuff for anti gel. The tank was virtually empty when i filled it up. That being said I put the tractor away in October and she sat all winter long until last week. My father in law was kind enough to go out there twice (december and february) to turn her over. Keep in mind she wasn't on a trickle charger. He let the glow plugs do their thing and then turned it over without any excess cranking. He was beyond shocked, as was I.

I'm like you with a smaller yard 1/3 acre. The x does a fantastic job mowing. I opted to not grab a 1 series when I purchased in may 2017 as I found the 1 series to be bulkier and not as pleasurable to drive. 80% of my hours will be mowing and leaf duty. I did have a large grading project that had to be done and reinforcements were brought in. Not even a 1 series could handle that job. That being said the 1 series imo can do a lot, it just can't do a lot at once or without struggle. I will always keep my x for mowing and yard chores. I hope to add a 2 series in a year when we move, it's much more capable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to agree with Big Blue on this. I just went through my first winter with my x758. I have a snow blower and only a one car garage so the wife ties it up on snowy days. As a result my tractor was put in the in-laws snowmobile trailer that is ready to be scrapped due to it's decaying chassis.I always put Diesel Kleen in for fuel treatment for summer. I added winter stuff for anti gel. The tank was virtually empty when i filled it up. That being said I put the tractor away in October and she sat all winter long until last week. My father in law was kind enough to go out there twice (december and february) to turn her over. Keep in mind she wasn't on a trickle charger. He let the glow plugs do their thing and then turned it over without any excess cranking. He was beyond shocked, as was I.

I'm like you with a smaller yard 1/3 acre. The x does a fantastic job mowing. I opted to not grab a 1 series when I purchased in may 2017 as I found the 1 series to be bulkier and not as pleasurable to drive. 80% of my hours will be mowing and leaf duty. I did have a large grading project that had to be done and reinforcements were brought in. Not even a 1 series could handle that job. That being said the 1 series imo can do a lot, it just can't do a lot at once or without struggle. I will always keep my x for mowing and yard chores. I hope to add a 2 series in a year when we move, it's much more capable.
I'm surprised you use the x series to mow 1/3 acres. I bet that only takes you 10 minutes. When I used to live in the city my lot was the same size. I mowed it with a walk behind mower.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Adding a 3ph to an X isn't too expensive or difficult. I think there is a 3rd party one around for about $600. The PTO is the expensive addition.

Rob

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
I've moved A LOT of dirt with our little JD 650 and now little JD 2320.

How much property does the tractor need to support? Lawn, wooded....

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
The decision is really yours and of course the numbers. I wouldn't say the x738 is better at mowing than a 1025R. They are essentially the same size with exception of the ROPS on the 1025R. Turning radius between the two tractors is so close, you will never know the difference from the seat. They both use the same MMM and most of the attachments are the same.

Basically the difference is, the 1 series is a sub-compact tractor with stronger drive line, 3 point that functions with a rockshaft, and has more overall capabilities, albeit, it isn't a big tractor.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

Like you most of my hours if I had a one machine for everything, comes from mowing/leaf collection. Second place would be snow removal followed by FEL work. That is why I went with a Z950R. Once that is paid off I will be in the market for a new machine for snow and FEL work. Not everyone has the space or needs for two machines.

It really comes down to an X being stronger on the mowing side but weaker on the utility side. The 1025 will be stronger on the utility side and weaker on the mowing side. You have to decide if the weakness on the X on utility is acceptable, the weakness on mowing of the 1025R is acceptable or if you can swing a dedicated machine for both.

While the 1025R is weaker on the mowing, it isn't as much of a weakness compared to the X for utility work. With the weight I have have added to my X585 I am at about 1500# and I could use more for snow removal. It is fine blowing but I prefer to plow. I have been leaning toward a 2 series if I were to buy something today and in going that route I could go with a snow pusher on the FEL which would be a lot better. I don't plan on getting a MMM at all for it and have been starting to evaluate my usage to see if it would make sense to step up to a 3E machine. Since the only thing I would use the mid PTO for is a front mount blower. If the added capacity would let me just use a snow pusher I would do that. If it was really bad I could live with a rear blower which is much cheaper. Also in the future it would be harder to sell a 1025R or 2025R if I didn't get the mower with it. Too many people would need it for an all around machine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don’t add anything to my fuel. My tractor doesn’t sit long between tanks though. And I keep my shop heated where it’s parked around 5*C and have never had any issues with starting.

Depending on what you want to accomplish in the long run I’d say if the deal is right than go for it. It’s better looking at it than for it when you do. And here atleast when I looked some x7s are priced the same as 1 series, with the minimal price difference I’d jump up

·
Registered
203 Posts
I will throw in my 2 cents worth, I purchased a 1025r last Oct. I mow 8 yards and did so with a x570 and a x520. Last Spring I bought a cub sz tank and sold the x570 and x520. My intention when I purchased the 1025r was same as you, move dirt rock etc but I got the belly deck also in case I needed a spare mower. I have the R4 tires and I mowed a couple yards with the 1025r last fall and it liked to have beat me to death! Some of it is the tires but I blame the rigid frame for most of it. I was trying to mow fast because when money is involved, time is money. It’s not made for that, and I realized that very quickly! Fast forward to now. I bought a walk behind zero turn to use as my spare mower and I traded the belly deck for a slightly larger finish mower. I have a few attachments now and have used the bucket several times. I bought pallet forks and they have been worth their weight in gold. It’s plenty powerful and so far never ceases to amaze me at what it can do to be as small as it is. If you intend to not mow extremely fast it will probably work for you but I wouldn’t expect the ride to be as plush as your x7xx. I loooooooove the Yanmar though and as everyone says it sips fuel! If I had it to do over I would have got turf tires over the R4 tires though. Weigh out your pros and cons and good luck!

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
Victory EF135 flail mower

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
If I had it to do over I would have got turf tires over the R4 tires though. Weigh out your pros and cons and good luck!
I want to say there are HDAP tires that fit the 1025R. I would get a set of those over the OEM Turf Tires. Or pick up a set of rims and have both.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts