Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am debating about possibly trading in my 1025r for a 3025e. The reason is in the end of July we will be moving to our new house on 25 acres. Right now we live on 3 acres, and i have been using the 1025r at both properties and it has been great so far.

However, at the new property i will have around 10 acres of open land to maintain, with mowing, cutting, and light farm work, and it just seems to take a really long time to get some jobs done. I have been using the 1025r and the 48" Frontier cutter to maintain the property while building and it has done a fine job, just takes time. The problem though is that it is a rough ride in spots while cutting. the pasture areas were old farm fields that are kind of rough because they were just left after the last year they were tended. i feel like have the much larger tires will be better, and I could also upgrade to the 60" to decrease my cutting time. Increased ground clearance would also be a plus because i will be making some trails through the 10 acres of woods. I am planning on only having about 1.5-2 acres be my lawn, and the rest fields where we will plant a large garden and then have pasture areas for animals. Right now having the mid PTO and drive over mower is really nice because i have some tight spots to get into but that will not be an issue at the new property so i would probably just get a rear finishing mower, so not have the mid PTO wouldn't be too big a deal, but eventually i would probably invest in a zero turn.

So after some of that rambling, my question is really what advantages will the 3025e have over the 1025r? What advantages does the 1025r have over the 3025e? I know some of the differences are in the "E" and "R" which are mostly creature comforts like upgraded seats and lighting, but what other things might i be overlooking? I know i would be getting more torque and additional weight and greater hydraulic power with the 3025e, but realize i will lose the maneuverability of the smaller tractor. How well will the finishing mower mow compared to the 54D?

I've looked at spec charts but they don't always tell the whole story. Has anyone here made the move to the 3025e and if so what are your thoughts? some input and opinions would be really appreciated! And if this is not posted in the right section and should be in the 3 series forum someone can move it for me!

Also, as far as trade in value, from experience, would you recommend trading in to the dealer or private sale to try to get as much as possible for my 1025r. I have 90 hours on it as of now and have brought it to the dealer for all of its scheduled services.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
If you can afford it keep the 1025 and look for a second larger unit. I only have under four acres here and often find both wife and I using both at same time. I will be on the 1020 pulling our Finnish mower and wife will use the 1025 mower for trimming. I realize this isn't for everyone but I like having different size tractors. The new 3025 has had me intrigued also. Good luck on your decision. :good2:

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
One of our great members here Tonton (not heard from in a while......) did something similar last year. Moved from a couple acre place to a small farm with pasture (around 50 acres I think). He started out with is 1-series but quickly found out he couldn't mow the pastures because of such small wheels. He traded it in on a 4 series and was super happy. He lost his backhoe in the deal but can now use the proper size implements for his new place.

·
Premium Member
13,667 Posts
I'm with Drifterbike, if you can afford to keep the 1025 I would do that, unless you already have a dedicated mower for around the house:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
I'm with Drifterbike, if you can afford to keep the 1025 I would do that, unless you already have a dedicated mower for around the house:thumbup1gif:
Yup - this is a perfect time for a bigger tractor and a dedicated lawn mower.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keeping both is not an option for me, wish it was but :gizmo::gizmo::gizmo: is the issue.

I do not have a dedicated mower, the 1025r serves that purpose for me now.

What is everyone's opinion about trade in vs. private sale?

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
Keeping both is not an option for me, wish it was but :gizmo::gizmo::gizmo: is the issue.

Around here a private sale would be just about impossible - I live in the land of Wal-Mart mowers. Nobody would even consider buying a $10k+ used tractor like that. So I would go for the trade-in - buying a 3 or 4 series plus a zero-turn for grass duties (or an x7xx tractor).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Around here a private sale would be just about impossible - I live in the land of Wal-Mart mowers. Nobody would even consider buying a $10k+ used tractor like that. So I would go for the trade-in - buying a 3 or 4 series plus a zero-turn for grass duties (or an x7xx tractor).
I would have to settle for just the 3025e and a finishing mower. If i tried to work a mower too, the wife would have my head :hide:

I could always look on Craigslist for a good used mower in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
527 Posts
You already mentioned upgrading to a bigger Mower which will cost you a little more than a couple grand which is close to a zero turn mower.......... just another thought.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You already mentioned upgrading to a bigger Mower which will cost you a little more than a couple grand which is close to a zero turn mower.......... just another thought.
That's what I was thinking. But then there's the 0% interest to help get it with the tractor and possibly the money off for 2 or more implements.

Then it really depends on the mowing sitisatuon. I got 4 acres. And lots of trees. I'll take the zero turn over the tractor for that all day long

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I like to chime in on these threads because I'm always thinking about what to buy next, what it would be like to own X tractor or Y lawnmower. I'm always test driving, playing with neighbors' machines and all that kind of stuff. I love tractors.

I would never own a larger tractor like the 3025e as my only machine. I don't know what your property is like, but on mine, I'd be push mowing a LOT, and I don't like push mowing. I just got done with what little I have to do and I'm exhausted. The 3025e is also limited in terms of implements by its PTO horsepower, which isn't much more than the 1025r.

A 60" rc won't cut *that* much faster than a 48" rc. It will cut faster, but the time will be lost using your walk-behind mower to reach the areas the 3025e can't get to, unless you live on a featureless flat plain with few trees and no interesting terrain features, such as buildings. The 1025r can't get to some of the places my x758 was able to reach, so I'm doing a bit more push mowing now than I was before. If you made me do yet more of it, I would go postal. :)

If I were you and money was tight, I'd keep the 1025r. If I could stretch the finances a bit, I'd get the 3025e and maybe an x570 for mowing (I'd really want an x700 series though).

The 1025r/1023e and other subcompacts are the only tractors I would ever consider owning if I could only have one machine. That's the whole point of these things. If you need a bigger tractor, you need two machines. Unless you like push mowing. A lot.

Also, if your 1025r rides rough, maybe you have too much air in the tires? Most people on here check, but some never do. Dealers like to put 30psi in those things. Lowering them to 22 or even 20 will feel like a while new tractor. Figured it doesn't hurt to ask...no insult intended.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
No question, if you do get a 3025 I'd use the money for a mower to buy a zero-turn mower for grass cutting instead. We just got a ZTR and it cut our mowing time in half, we have a lot of trees.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth. We moved up to a 2038r from the 1025r because we aquired more land but also needed more PTO power. Going to a 3025e will not help you if you want to use larger attachments, especially if they're PTO driven.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do you have a 3025e? If so, what do you like about it? What don't you like about it?
I do not like how if the ROPs is down the 3ph arms will hit the ROPs, ended up removing the ROPs because I'll never need it. I miss my dedicated 1023e diff lock lever & h120 regen option.

I'm on the fence regarding the brake/diff-lock combo and lack of factory loader level indicator.

I do like the additional ground clearance, seat is comfortable, sits higher, the increase in tractive force and torque. Regarding full cat1 3ph the adjustments are easier, top link has adjustable 3 options for adjustments above extending and retraction. The ride is 10 smoother than my 1023e, the joystick positioning is perfect, service intervals are less frequent and fewer things to service, it uses about the same amount of fuel, 3025e has a better 4wd lever and goes faster for road traveling and the Hi/Lo gearing seem spot on. Overall it definitely seems like a heavier duty higher quality machine.

Most importantly my little one likes it better for her daily tractor rides.

I have 17 hours on the 3025e and 0 regrets on the purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
No question, if you do get a 3025 I'd use the money for a mower to buy a zero-turn mower for grass cutting instead. We just got a ZTR and it cut our mowing time in half, we have a lot of trees.
I agree, nothing beats the ZT for mowing, the ZT can get places a lawn tractor will not, not to mention how much it will reduce in string trimming. I bought a used Kabota Kommander because I wanted to bail a friend out of a financial disaster, my plan was to resell it, ended up loving it and kept it. After owning the ZT I would not go back to finish mowing a mmm or rear mower on tractor.

My lawn also looks healthier, the ZT is much easier on the turf than the R4s.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts

danmc48,

Feel free to send me a private message for more details, but I've spent the last several weeks at a bunch of different dealers all around North Carolina getting quotes on 3025es and trade-in figures on my 1023e w/ a loader and a deck that is one year old and just ticked over hours. I have to say the quotes on the 3025es look really good. Quality Equipment is running a $15999 special on the 3025e w/ loader with 0% that can be stretched all the way out to a 84 month w/ a down payment.

The quotes I've gotten on the trade in of the 1023e have been equally as bad however. Looking at their book most dealers are saying somewhere between $8-10k without a thorough inspection :thumbsdown: My local guy won't even look it up and is telling me to put it on craigslist, which were sentiments echoed by a couple other of the dealers as well. It's a bit frustrating as I just read on here where somebody got $11,500 on their similar 1023 on trade that was older with more hours. I've gotten a trade in quote of $10,500 from an AG pro dealer in SC. Looking around Craigslist and the used tractor websites looks like my tractor should go for around $12-13k w/ a private sale.

If I get the 3025e it would be my only tractor and would be my only mower around my small, less than 1 acre, yard with a bunch of obstacles. What has made this possible for me was the purchase of a $1200 chinese knock-off flail mower which I originally bought for a one time clearing effort of a bunch of brush and kudzo off a mountain property of mine. I decided to try it out with the 1023 on my lawn instead of MMM for poops and giggles. I've found that it gives 90-95% the cut quality of the belly mower even without the grass blades installed (I only have the brush, mulching hammer blades on it) while leaving significant less clippings. For me it also gets in a bunch of spots (under things, into banks, ect) that the MMM could not reach and actually lessens the amount of touch up work needed with a trimmer afterwards. The driving style with flail mower is good bit different as there is a lot of forward and backing up involved (almost using the tractor as front end mower in reverse to get the tight spots) as opposed to constant straight line and turning work. I've gotten used to it though to the point where the belly mower hasn't been used in well over a month with little intention in going back. My only concern w/ the 3025 and mowing my yard is how my yard will handle the constant forward and reversing of the larger tractor.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts