Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my last trailer because I did not use it much and it was a bit small for what I needed. I knew someday that I would buy a trailer again and go larger. Well now is the time.

In my area, I have 2 choices that seem reasonable:
1. Local trailer company builds custom trailers
2. MacLander

The local company builds very nice trailers and customizes them to your wants and needs. IMHO, he builds just as good of trailers as others, but they are basically home made trailers when you go to sell them since they do not have a good name backing them up. They also do all their own paint, and I do not think its as good as others.

MacLander got bought out and their prices are high. Otherwise they have always been a good trailer.

What I want: In MacLander terms, I think I want a frame medium. Two 6,000 pound axles, both with brakes. Would give me a 9,990 payload capacity. That would be enough to haul my tractor and implements or easily carry my truck if needed. Its also not too heavy that I can throw some quads on it and go without lugging a huge trailer around. The trailer would be a good size for a 3/4 ton truck. Main use would be to haul my Jeep. This will be a 20 foot deck.
http://www.mac-lander.com/frame_medium_series_flatbed_trailer.asp

What are your thoughts about a custom built trailer? Would you pay more for a brand name and how much more? All thoughts welcome as this will be my last trailer for a while!

·
Registered
733 Posts
What I want: In MacLander terms, I think I want a frame medium. Two 6,000 pound axles, both with brakes. Would give me a 9,990 payload capacity. That would be enough to haul my tractor and implements or easily carry my truck if needed. Its also not too heavy that I can throw some quads on it and go without lugging a huge trailer around. The trailer would be a good size for a 3/4 ton truck. Main use would be to haul my Jeep. This will be a 20 foot deck.
http://www.mac-lander.com/frame_medium_series_flatbed_trailer.asp

What are your thoughts about a custom built trailer? Would you pay more for a brand name and how much more? All thoughts welcome as this will be my last trailer for a while!
Only 2 brands in your neck of the woods? I'm not familiar with the MacLander so I cant honestly comment...but...
If money were no object, I'd probably buy a Moritz:
http://www.moritzinternational.com/
PJ also makes a VERY nice trailer.... http://www.pjtrailers.com/

That being said, I dont know if I'd buy a "home made" trailer...for the sole reason of resale value. My dad went the home made route by a very reputable "MFG" in our area, but outside of our tiny little geographic area, its worth nothing because in the end, its just a home made....quality wise, it cant be beat...
If you plan on using it till the end, I'd probably suggest going the home made route. Have em do the trailer only and do your own paint/decking...save a few bucks and get a nice paint job in the process?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, 2 brands is a stretch.

I can find integrity and sure trac, but I have not read good stuff about them.

Right now:

MacLander Frame Medium Two 5200 axles. 7K payload. 20 foot deck $4,490.00
Sure Trac Two 5200 axles. 7K payload. 20 foot deck $3,550.00
Custom Built, 20 foot deck, Two 7K axles, 11K payload $2,900.00

100 miles away
PJ CC 6" channel 20 foot deck, 7K axles, $3,650.00

I have read mixxed reviews on PJ trailers. But this one has LED lights, rear trailer jacks, Removable fenders, and DOT stickers all included. PJ is lacking D rings.

Zero negotiation has been done. I am just getting ideas.

I am also thinking of Disc Brakes since it will sit outside. I have no clue how much that will cost yet.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Very happy with my PJ. I'd definitely buy another.

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Craziness continues!

I am in negotiation with Kaufmann trailers. 20 foot equipment trailer. 10K about $3,000

Going to look at the custom trailer today.

20 foot T6 PJ with 4' fixed 16' tilt deck. 2010 model. 4,200 14K

In my normal fashion, I am over thinking this and must send out a thank you to those who have listened to me babble on and on about this for the past few days.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
In my normal fashion, I am over thinking this and must send out a thank you to those who have listened to me babble on and on about this for the past few days.
:laugh:Been there, done that. Sometimes that is what it takes to get to the end. In my case even when no one is listening.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Craziness continues!

I am in negotiation with Kaufmann trailers. 20 foot equipment trailer. 10K about $3,000
No worries. Standing by to find out your decision!

I have my 7k trailer on CL right now in hopes to pick up a new one after it sells. I came close to buying a Kaufman trailer last time around and would be tempted to do so again. My hiccup last time was trying to figure out how to take delivery as they require you to be able to off-load.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was not informed that I would need to off load. I think I could easily do it with 2 fork lifts at the farm, but it would depend on height.

I am still waiting for an email with the final sale price. They are not the fastest at getting back to you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well i could be wrong but how i understood it is that unless you request a private delivery, they combine deliveries and stack the trailers to minimize cost. Upon delivery, you have to have the equipment to remove the trailer. problem was that they didn't know how it would be shipped as that depends on what is being delivered. It would be great to have first hand knowledge of somebody who has bought from them. I will likely be in the market again come spring/summer.

I found them to be quite responsive, but i was quoting out a standard trailer that they offer (12k gooseneck).

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wel, I am writting Kaufman off because I can get a PJ for the same price. The price was disappointing and I never asked them about shipping.

Right now I am looking at:

1. Custom 12K derated trailer 2900
2. Custom 14K trailer 3200
3. PJ CC 14K trailer 3400
4. PJ T6 14K down to 4100

I feel the custom is a nice quality but poor finish. Rust wise I bet its as good as the others, but looks rough due it not being sand blasted. The PJ CC is NICE, but I am stuck wondering IF the tilt would be worth the rest of the cash. The tilt is the best deal with the best resale as I can only get that price at one dealer, the others want 1K more than him.

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
I looked long and hard at the tilting PJ trailer a few years ago when I upgraded trailers, I ended up getting a Big Tex 10k rated one that is fantastic-but I do often regret not having the tilting one.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kenny, did you look at the T6 (equipment tilt) or the full tilt car hauler?

I started the discussion with SWMBO and she looked at me like I was nuts and said buy what you want.

SO, I plan to take a look at the T6 this weekend and make my mind up. maybe:mocking:

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
Kenny, did you look at the T6 (equipment tilt) or the full tilt car hauler?
Not 100% sure...it was about 4-5 years ago. It was like the T5 and T6 with the stationary part of the deck ( I thought that would be good for implements not attached to the tractor) But I am pretty sure it was a 10K since that's what I wanted-but neither of those seems to be 10K.

I also saw a GN version at the county fair that made me drool but it was priced out of my range-plus I would have to buy the hitch also.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I went and spent some time around the PJ today. Nice trailer. I like how well things were thought out and how well each part of the trailer worked. What I did not like about the trailer had nothing to do with the construction.

The guy selling it had told me that he used it once to haul some items over to a home auction sale and told me there were no cars on it. When I go there and was looking it over, you could see where the rear ramp was scratched up. When he asked me what I thought, I said I was suprised to see the ramps scratch. He then told me that his brother used it for his skid steer. There was also a license plate on the trailer.

I felt like I was paying a new price for used equipment.

So I came home empty handed and he called and sweetened the deal a little. But I have now called a few places and the one trailer dealer I work with. IF I want a 20 foot tilt trailer, that is going to be the one unless I want to pay 500 to 800 more.

All the other trailers are so close in price but have much lighter components. So I am going to sleep on it and see what happens in the morning.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Brian,
I like that T6 trailer looks like a good match for your tractor, how much does the trailer weigh and is it a 10k or 12k capacity? I would prefer the fixed 4' section in front to hold an additional implement too. BigTex doesn't seem to offer a 14k model only the 12k, I think the $4,100 price is good too.

edit, What I meant is what is the payload capacity of the trailer? I assume this trailer weighs about 3500 lbs? So if it is 14,000 -3500 it should still be good for 10,500 lbs capacity.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the t6 has a payload of about 10.5K. The price is not bad, but it seems like a lot for the little I would use it. When it comes down to it, my tractor would go on it two to three times a year and my jeep about ten times. Other than that, it's atv's and misc.

Last night I said I was going to buy the custom 12k trailer and I started to make my list of wants. This morning I am starting to wonder if I am giving up some important features. I also thought how much it would suck for someone to steal my loading ramps for the trailer while I was out riding in the jeep. That would make it difficult to load!

Off to church to pray for clarity:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am putting this in writting so I do not change my mind:lol:... I am having a custom trailer built. 12K de-rated to 9,990 with shackle springs. It will look somewhat like the black one above with snow on it.

The PJ tilt is a great trailer. The extra cash for it was the stopping point. The extra weight was also something that I did not like. IF fuel prices continue, I might not go with a 3/4 ton pickup since I put on 20K of normal non-towing miles a year. So this will allow me to take my quads and other smaller items without the extra weight of the tilt frame.

Should be fun!

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
I am putting this in writting so I do not change my mind:lol:... I am having a custom trailer built. 12K de-rated to 9,990 with shackle springs. It will look somewhat like the black one above with snow on it.

The PJ tilt is a great trailer. The extra cash for it was the stopping point. The extra weight was also something that I did not like. IF fuel prices continue, I might not go with a 3/4 ton pickup since I put on 20K of normal non-towing miles a year. So this will allow me to take my quads and other smaller items without the extra weight of the tilt frame.

Should be fun!
So it will have ramps or a gate?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ramps.

I sat down with the guy yesterday and came up with the plan. :drinks:

14K axles, shackles springs, trailer rated for 9,990, tongue tool box, 235/80 (or 85?)/R16 tires on silver mod rims, LED lights, and ramps....

I went with ramps because I can use them on the rub rail of the trailer to load my quads sideways. If I get too old to put ramps up, then I probably should not be loading and using a trailer. :lol:

If this was a single purpose trailer, or just for my jeep and tractor, I would have had flip up ramps. But with atv's and other items, it made more sense to have something I can use anywhere on the trailer.

The last thing I am thinking of is having the connectors for an Ag Jack put on each side of the back. That way I could use a jack to hold the trailer up IF needed in a bad situation rather than hauling around a few 6x6's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts