Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see a few instances where having a rear blade could be helpful to me. Rather than buying the complete 3 pt. attachment, and then having to store it, I've been toying with the idea of buying a 60" wide piece of steel...around 3/16" (#6 gauge) thick...and clamping it to the tines on my rake. If I had it rolled to match the contour of the tines it'd help it resist bending under load. Maybe the tines themselves, or adding a bolt-on cutting edge would make it stiff enough without making it taller than the flat portion of the tines. Has anybody ever done this? I did some forum searching but didn't find anything. I also haven't looked into the cost of the steel/cutting edge, so I might be into the cost of a rear blade in just the materials.

Thoughts...input?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

Land Pride makes a kit for their rakes. Everyone I have seen on the used market is rusted in the up position and has weeds growing on it as they never get used so it makes me wonder if they actually work well enough in the real world or just in the catalog.

If your doing dirt work, you may want to look for a box blade which may be a better investment for you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've seen that kit. What I was thinking of making would just be slid in front of, and clamped to, the tines when I wanted to use it. My envisioned use would be in the winter, to scrape off packed snow and ice that accumulates in at my parents house.
I don't really have a lot of dirt moving work work to do where a box blade would likely excell. At least I don't think that I do. ..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a woods rake with drop down blade. Nice feature. No it's not built to take the pressure of a regular blade but does quite well in gravel, loose dirt and snow. Has a pivot with two clips to hold it up when not in use.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts
Thanks. I've seen that kit. What I was thinking of making would just be slid in front of, and clamped to, the tines when I wanted to use it. My envisioned use would be in the winter, to scrape off packed snow and ice that accumulates in at my parents house.
I don't really have a lot of dirt moving work work to do where a box blade would likely excell. At least I don't think that I do. ..
I use our ballast box for that. :lol:

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 5 of 5 Posts