Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 2038r and I'm in the market for a new tiller. Would like to keep with Frontier products. The tractor has the rear wheel spacers on it. What is everyone using on the 2038r's? Should I do regular or reverse tine? What size is best how far out past the rear tires? Will hopefully be a nice step up from my Troybilt Bronco!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,943 Posts
I am running a 665 Deere. I don’t have spacers but if I did I would stick with the same width.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have a 2018 2038r and I'm in the market for a new tiller. Would like to keep with Frontier products. The tractor has the rear wheel spacers on it. What is everyone using on the 2038r's? Should I do regular or reverse tine? What size is best how far out past the rear tires? Will hopefully be a nice step up from my Troybilt Bronco!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Measure the width from outside to outside on your back tires and go with what is closest to it. You don't need to go any wider, just enough to cover your tracks. My guess is 50" would do it, no more than 60"

As to forward or reverse rotation, I have a 50" reverse rotation tiller and wouldn't go back to a forward rotation (used to have one). It digs better, as it is turning opposite the direction of travel, and instead of throwing stones out the back, it tends to "herd" them forward as you till, so you can drag them to the end of the row and get rid of them.

Land Pride is a good alternative to Frontier, not sure how they compare in price, but LP is made in the US, excellent quality and good customer service. They are now owned by Kubota. This is on the back of a 2520:

·
Premium Member
9,278 Posts
I like the idea of reverse rotation. My worry is the rocks will get jammed in the machine between the tines and top cover? If it only "herds" the rocks, I live with that!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just ordered a RT3062r for my 2038r.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Land Pride QH05 quick hitch
Victory EF 155 flail mower
48” sand filled lawn roller

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I like the idea of reverse rotation. My worry is the rocks will get jammed in the machine between the tines and top cover? If it only "herds" the rocks, I live with that!
On occasion, a larger rock (softball size to grapefruit size) can jam between a tine and the housing, especially on the smaller diameter one like mine. Larger rocks than that usually won't jam, and smaller ones just pass through. One of the full-size diameter tillers probably won't do that; a rock big enough to jam one of them won't get lifted high enough.

When I do get a rock jam up, the slip clutch protects my driveline just as it should, but it is easy to un-jam. The procedure I found to work very well is to 1- stop the PTO (obviously!!!),2- lift the tiller to full lift height, then 3- disengage the rear PTO by moving the lever to the mid-only setting, so the rear PTO shaft can free-wheel. Shut off the engine for ultimate safety, then 4-rotate the tine shaft forward manually and the rock will drop free. Sometimes, as soon as you disengage the PTO, the rock will drop free.

In tilling an area, the more times it is tilled, the less rocks big enough to cause problems there will be. Over a couple of gardening seasons, you'll have most of the biggest rocks cleared out. It's worth having to stop a few times to clear a rock, the quality of till is amazing with reverse rotation, the ground is well pulverized. It is always best to plow before tilling, that will bring up some rocks that can be cleared before you till, to minimize issues later. The broken ground also breaks up and pulverizes more easily than trying to till unbroken ground.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
TONS of threads on this topic. It's all been covered well before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.