Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Have had my 2210 for several years and thinking of upgrading. Question is do I stay with 1 series or move up a notch to the 2 series...

Power is not an issue the 2210 has done everything I asked it to do, but its limited in capabilities. I'd like to be able to run a small chipper and wood splitter so am thinking the 2 series might be better with better hydraulics....also I like the auto connect mower deck feature ... would like to get your thoughts.

Thank you..

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
Many improvements with the new 1 Series except for the loader. Your 2210 has significantly more loader capacity (lift capability).

If you want to maintain and / or improve your loader capability then you'd need to move up to at least a 2032R as the 1025R / 2025R both share the same 120R loader.

John Deere Loader Specs

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I see guys running chippers with the 1025R
Depending on which 2 series the 2025R gives you a ground clearance and weight advantage but not much else. The difference in hydraulic flow is minimal on any of them. I think the biggest motivator for most people to move from a 1 series to 2 series (larger 2 series) is the 3pt hitch height and increased loader lift. If those are not a concern then I’d stick with the smaller machine. Or in my biased opinion the “just right” 2025R lol. All can be had with an auto connect deck. On the larger 2 series your gonna pay quite a bit more and also big $$ for the command cut option. But it looks pretty sweet. Everyone I have talked to says get a stand alone splitter. Otherwise it is painfully slow using these small tractor hydraulics.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I run a WC46 Chipper on my 1026R and have no issues with it. I like my 1026R due to its small size when I have the Snow Blower attached, I can slide it into my attached garage next to my Jeep Cherokee and I can plug in the Block Heater without having to walk threw the snow to the barn where the tractor normally stays when the chipper and FEL are on. I still use my 445 for mowing after using the 1026R for the first season in 2013 and could not get under the hundred plus trees in my yard, the cab made that to hard. If you have the room the larger tractor might make sense for you, but even if I could, I would not get rid of my 1026R or the 445.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I think @Superglidesport hit the nail on the head. If you are looking for a boost in hydraulics, the 2032R is what you are talking about.

But, like others have said, a 25hp tractor can handle a chipper.

Reactions: JeffB1 and trav

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,804 Posts
I guess the way I would answer your question is with a question. What specifically about the 2210's capabilities do you find lacking? I doubt you are going to find either the 1025r or the 2025r will have any more capability than your current machine and as SGS pointed out, less FEL capabilities.

As far as a wood splitter and chipper, I would likely go with a stand alone machine for a number of reasons, primarily a purpose built machine, while having a separate engine to maintain, often is superior in capability and results.

At one time I thought fewer machines to maintain would be better. But when you see how superior dedicated, purpose built machines usually are in their results and capabilities, for me, maintaining the extra machine is a secondary issue at best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You won’t see a large capability difference between the 2210 and the 1025r or 2025r. The 2025r will get you ground clearance and lift height.

If you want to move into the next size up you really need to look at at least the 2032.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you need personal convincing about the splitter being a no go with tractor hydraulics lookk up the pump specs on a good splitter and compare them to the tractor. I went with a stand alone splitter with an 8 hp motor and a tilt capabiity to swing the ram vertically. I was a wood scrounger and ran into a lot of the mega size diameter logs that i had to roll the donut to the splitter.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,790 Posts
Have had my 2210 for several years and thinking of upgrading. Question is do I stay with 1 series or move up a notch to the 2 series...
I thought the 2210 was a 2 Series?

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
With the MMM you mentioned as need, then 2038R would likely be my choice.
Without the MMM I pretty much always recommend the the 3039R over the 2038R.
Nearly the same physical size in terms of footprint or in storing it, mostly just little taller and more clearance yet, with more capability all the way around.
A 3R has a MMM option, only the 2038R has a much newer, user friendly design, at least where controlling or altering mowing heights is concerned.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
I agree with the people above. I had 2-1025R's i gave my last one to my son and moved up to the 2038R and never looked back. I do like the command cut mine is a 72" and have only had one problem. My son hit a stump and knocked it out of alignment. I have the bumper to bumper warranty for the full 6 years and the deere dealer picked it up next morning and had it back to me that evening.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Just asking for clarification.

View attachment 809503
Correct but it’s confusing to change tenses. He could trade a 2 series for a 2 series but what 2 series is he talking about. 212, 240, 2210, 2305, 2025 or 2032? It would turn this thread into a who’s on first skit.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you end up with a 2 series, you should be searching command cut actuator failures on this site. Mine has been problem free, but for those that have had issues, John Deere doesn't have a solution other than the customer should throw more money at it.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,790 Posts
Correct but it’s confusing to change tenses. He could trade a 2 series for a 2 series but what 2 series is he talking about. 212, 240, 2210, 2305, 2025 or 2032? It would turn this thread into a who’s on first skit.
What confused me is, the OP stated he had a 2210 and was thinking of moving up to a 2 Series. If the tractor(2210) is a 2 Series, that seems to be a lateral move. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
In the last 10 years, I've had a 1023, a 2032 and 3039

If you take the cab out of the picture, then the 2032 was the most "perfect" tractor for me.
The 1023 is basically a heavy duty diesel lawn tractor. It met my needs, but physically a small machine.
The 3039 is overkill for my needs, but the cab!!!!!!
The 2032 has a lot more ass to it than the 1023, yet still small and nimble and simply convenient.
Now perfect for me means nothing to anyone else. You need to determine that balance for your desires.

Reactions: JD-4100

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What confused me is, the OP stated he had a 2210 and was thinking of moving up to a 2 Series. If the tractor(2210) is a 2 Series, that seems to be a lateral move. :unsure:
Because of the way the 2 series designation has been used, it's possible to move up while staying inside the series. Even in the current lineup, it would be a step up to move from the 2025R to either of the other machines in the series.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Have a 2025R with WC46 chipper. Loafs along using it. Good fit. Any larger is too much weight back there.

Cannot comment on the auto engage for the mid mower. My gen. 1 has it but don't have a mid mower.

Needed the 2025R. Had a lemony 1025R: lots of problems and not enough clearance for our "rough" property, and fuel valve is wrong action with small tractor allows it to be hit by ones right foot to shut it off. Valve on the 2025R works opposite and too far for ones foot to engage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts