Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I made the mistake and stopped into the Deerlership just as they were closing down for the weekend, an lo and behold there it sits. The 1025R FILB all decked out in green with black accents and chrome hood ornament.:kidw_truck_smiley: And just as I bring myself to touch the armrest on the seat, out pops a friendly salesman :hi: who immediately tells me that "Right now is the best time to buy, we are giving $1500 off if you get 2 implements and 0% financing for 5 years until the end of October" (same deal as they run in April every year). So I proceed to run numbers in my head and figure out that for a mere $3500 more than what I spent 18 months ago on my 1023E, I could have all of the niceties that come on the 1025R, and a BH to boot.:thumbup1gif:

To make things even worse, the wife turns to me and says "Heck, if you can get one with a BH, then you can dig me that pond I always wanted!", and proceeded to absolutely justify the extra $50 a month the payments would rise. This, of course, stuns me :slap-yourself-emoti.

So, first question for the group here. How much do you think I will get for my trade in? I would really only be trading in the core tractor, and keep my H120 loader (I'll buy another inexpensive implement to get the $1500 off, BH is the first implement). I'm thinking around $9K because I only have 75 hours on the machine.

Second question, who is this woman sitting across from me at the dining room table, and where has she hidden my wife?:unknown:

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
I have no idea what happened to your wife. Maybe she isn't feeling good?:cold:

I suspect your trade-in value won't be as much as you would think. This happened to me when I upgraded to my 2720 from the 1026R. It hard for the dealer to sell a relatively new tractor when a new one has zero percent interest available. This means only a cash buyer would be interested or the price needs to be low enough for him to sell it. He isn't going to buy it and not make money, so you're the one that'll take the hit. Sorry to say that, but it's the truth. I can say it was worth it for me to trade.:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
What he said^^^

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why not just see if they will throw a BH onto your current payment plan, keep your tractor, and not take a huge hit on your current investment? I am wondering what it would take to do this myself, as I didnt have a need for the BH when I bought my 2520, but sure would like to have it now that I see what they are capable of.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just see if they will throw a BH onto your current payment plan, keep your tractor, and not take a huge hit on your current investment? I am wondering what it would take to do this myself, as I didnt have a need for the BH when I bought my 2520, but sure would like to have it now that I see what they are capable of.
Well, I've researched this very solution. The BH would cost upwards of $5K, I'd have to install the power beyond hydraulics so add another $500, and add the swivel seat which will add another $500, and if I had the Deerlership do the work add another $1K for labor. Total about $7K.

·
Administrator
17,280 Posts
Well, I've researched this very solution. The BH would cost upwards of $5K, I'd have to install the power beyond hydraulics so add another $500, and add the swivel seat which will add another $500, and if I had the Deerlership do the work add another $1K for labor. Total about $7K.
The swivel seat is included in the hoe price I think, the PB kit is not $500 and its easy to install, as is the hoe if you can do it-1k for labor is crazy, are you guessing that or did they quote that?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The swivel seat is included in the hoe price I think, the PB kit is not $500 and its easy to install, as is the hoe if you can do it-1k for labor is crazy, are you guessing that or did they quote that?
Guessing at $65/hr and about 15 hours to do all the work would be about $1K. Buying a new 1025R with a BH would run about $17K with the incentives. I trade mine in and net $1K (only owe $7K, thinking I'll get about $8K for trade in), brings the total financed to $16K. At 0% for 5 years, that's $266/ month ($68 more than I am paying now). Seems worth it, plus I'll get a new 2 year warranty, which mine will be up in April...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Guessing at $65/hr and about 15 hours to do all the work would be about $1K. Buying a new 1025R with a BH would run about $17K with the incentives. I trade mine in and net $1K (only owe $7K, thinking I'll get about $8K for trade in), brings the total financed to $16K. At 0% for 5 years, that's $266/ month ($68 more than I am paying now). Seems worth it, plus I'll get a new 2 year warranty, which mine will be up in April...
Well, seems you've justified it with math. :)

Only you can really make the decision on what makes sense. Get hard numbers for everything, right down to the new payment number from the dealer. Don't estimate it.

And walk in with an acceptable number for that new payment already determined, and walk away from the deal if it's more.

$68/month over five years is $4080. Add in the loss on trading your tractor to understand how much it will "really" cost you.

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
When I traded my 1026r in on a 25r ,I kept my fel and bh , tractor was 2 yrs old and had app 300 hrs if I remember correctly. I think they allowed me 10500 or 11 for tractor and 60" mower. Wasn't the amount I thought it would be but when you can buy a new one for 0 % compared to a 3-5 %.
The dealer had given me a price of changing things for me of 1500 but when the dust cleared it was closer to 350. If my hadn't been leaking oil at the mid pto shaft I would have still owned my old 1026r.
As for buying 2 attachments a Imatch for around 350 counts as a attachment....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There is a thread on here where one of the members installed his own BH and power beyond. I bet you could most of what you want in the 5000 area...if you install it yourself. You'll take that big of hit, more than likely trading. Might be something to think about.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a thread on here where one of the members installed his own BH and power beyond. I bet you could most of what you want in the 5000 area...if you install it yourself. You'll take that big of hit, more than likely trading. Might be something to think about.
Wow! You really think I'll only get about $5K or $6K for a tractor that's just over a year old and with just 75 hours on it? :cray:These things are going for $11.5K new! Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all... I guess I won't know anything until I call the dealer on Monday. Till then :bye:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
I traded a 2210 that was 10 years old and had 1200 hours on it. It was in the JD shop getting the trans replaced at a cost of 5000 +. I traded it , mower deck, and FEL for a 1026R, mower deck, and FEL, all quick hitch. My deal was 9000 difference, no interest for 60 months and they still had to fix the 2210. Figure out how much the 1026 and all cost, subtract 9000 and you know how much I got for my 2210. One thing you might want to know, the difference between 22 hp and 26 is a lot. I felt it as soon as I started to use the 1026. Yah I have/had 60 payments but it's worth it. And a warranty. Remember, a happy wife means you will be happy. :thumbup1gif: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Wow! You really think I'll only get about $5K or $6K for a tractor that's just over a year old and with just 75 hours on it? :cray:These things are going for $11.5K new! Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all... I guess I won't know anything until I call the dealer on Monday. Till then :bye:
Unfortunately, even with only 75 hours it's a used tractor and the dealer may not be able to offer a buyer the same financing options that they could for a new machine with a full warranty.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Unfortunately, even with only 75 hours it's a used tractor and the dealer may not be able to offer a buyer the same financing options that they could for a new machine with a full warranty.
+1

Used has less warranty and won't qualify for 0% offers (almost certainly). In order to make the machine attractive against a new one, it will have to be priced accordingly. And that discount gets passed on to you. Personally, I'd be looking for about a 30% discount on your machine compared to new in order to even consider it. Given that, you'd have to be willing to part with it for about 40% - 45% less than the cost of a new one, assuming it needs absolutely nothing done to it.

I would imagine that trading it would have the same gotchas associated with trading vehicles... The dealer will make your trade look better on paper by trading against the list price. Problem there is that the trade-in is now "on the books" for more money.

If you're absolutely serious about "trading up", you may well want to inquire to the dealer if they have anyone interested in a similar machine and see if a three-way deal could be worked out where you get a new machine, and the dealer essentially "brokers" a deal for you to sell your machine to a third party. Give the dealer a cut from the sale of yours, you pay a straight price on your new machine, and the person buying yours gets a discounted price somewhere between what you would get in trade and what the dealer would have to sell it for off of their floor.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I traded in my 2012 1026r with front loader and 60" deck for 13,500 which saved me 948 in taxes which means I got $14,448.-- for a 2 year old tractor with 45 hours on it. I paid roughly 16,000 out the door so I lost about $1500 to trade up to a 2032R. They sold my tractor before the new one came in. I didn't think they would sell it that fast because of the incentives, but they did. My point is, you never know until you try. Other dealers only offered $11,000. Thankfully I live close to at least 6 dealerships.
On another note, if you trade from the 1023e to the 1025r, you get more than just a bh, you get alot more comfort features that I realy miss. Good luck in whatever you do.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think your best bet is to sell it yourself. When I was looking for a tractor there was a used 1026r on craigslist that the owner wanted $500 less than I could get a brand new 1025r for. He would not budge on his price. He did have an attachment to go with it, don't remember what it was, I figured it was worth about $400. My point is that you'll get more money for your tractor if the dealer doesn't have to make money off the sale.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, unfortunately most of you were right on the money (literally). Just got the quote for the trade in. Came to $9K for a 17 month old tractor (with the loader) I paid over $13K for. I can't justify the loss. No deal.:cray:

I'm gonna pout over this for at least a week, guaranteed. :drama:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Step 1)

Talk to the dealer to work out a selling price on the new machine with no trade-in. If this is less than the selling price the dealer was using while allowing a trade-in, subtract this number from the loss you were previously looking at.

Step 2)

Evaluate the market to see what you could reasonably sell your tractor for outright in a reasonable amount of time. Higher price means longer time on the market - balancing act. Subtract the original dealer allowance from this number, then subtract the result from the result from step 1.

The number you now have tells you your TRUE loss by selling your existing machine outright. Maybe that makes it more palatable...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts